Online campaign to oust American YouTuber “My Mate Nate” is gaining momentum

webfact

Online campaign to oust American YouTuber “My Mate Nate” is gaining momentum 

By Thai PBS

nathan.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Online campaign to suspend the visa of American YouTuber Nathan Bartling, better known as  “My Mate Nate” and oust him from Thailand now gained over 65,000 supporters within five days.

The online campaign followed widespread criticism of his prank videos in Thailand are considered inappropriate and a violation of Thai laws. The videos were uploaded on his My mate Nate YouTube channel which drew more than 3 million subscribers.

His latest stunt that drew outcry from the Thai public was a video clip featuring him flattening coins on the rail track. The State Railway of Thailand has already filed a complaint of property trespassing.

Although he would offer apology to the Thai societies, but public outcry remains.

Full story:  http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/online-campaign-oust-american-youtuber-mate-nate-gaining-momentum/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-07-19

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, he has done a lot of childisch things... and in my opinion he will never learn and have to do more "sorry" in the future... Or he want do like this, because it generates more clicks.

I really not like him... but is this enough to throw him out?

It would be better, when youtube only pays out money for "non stupid" clips.. but this never will happen

I'm not really surprised that over 65K (and growing) people are on this tool's back.

I have been told that a story, published in Thai, is circulating that when he was back

in the U.S. he took his mother to a Thai restaurant. While there he told his mother to

use rude/vulgar Thai words to speak with the restaurant staff (taught to her by him,

the story presumes). The story has made it's way back here now because the staff

of the restaurant in the U.S. realize that he is doing no-one any good with his view

of Thai people, even though he has managed to learn the language well.

I would worry more about overspill, that this story is going to create a bad-impression of farangs amongst Thais, and problems for all of us other long-term residents who wish to be the  "Good Guys In"  living quietly & with respect for the country's culture and customs.

We don't need idiots like this here, I wish he'd go and be hip & fashinable elsewhere ! :wink:

3 minutes ago, Topdoc said:

Leave the man alone.

He has far more 'likes' than any of us ever had.

He's in the news for dislikes actually.... 

Ironically, 30k+ outraged thais are making him more rich and famous than he would have otherwise been if they didn't pay any attention to him 

The Tourism association should hire him. 

He does more to bring attention to Thailand than probably any one else on the internet. He single handed gets millions of views on things in Thailand he is an asset not a liability.

The Thais should thank him for his contribution to bringing Thailand to the masses. More tourism more business etc.

Must remember there is no bad press.

Edited by lovelomsak

I still can't get my head around this. So now the social media is an authority that can deport a person from a country for childish actions? A section of the population that become self-outraged from the comments of others has self obtained influence to over ride the judicial system?

And all because he put some coins on a rail track. Yes, it is being enforced by his last video where he put a cat and scorpion together. Whereas IMO, that wasn't exactly a clever thing to do, take away the camera and think what would happen if the cat met the scorpion outside. The feline was never in any danger, they can look after themselves and retain their primal instincts.

Cats aren't pussies you know.......................:thumbsup:.

So much outcry over a relative nobody who has done relatively nothing. There are so many real problems in this country, but hey, let's bury our head in the sand about those and focus all our attention and anger on this distraction like we are really doing something to make Thailand a better place.

1 hour ago, CelticBhoy said:

That's a face you wouldn't tire punching  . . . .  :sleep:

I would be scared about hitting his teeth, guy has a mouth like Shergar.... neeeeeigh luck  :whistling: 

Edited by LotusBoy

I think he has as they say shot himself in the foot.  In actuality the only smart thing he did was not use Thai coins in his stunt.  The coins that he did use have a law that forbids damaging them or defacing them.  

SRT is being smart they are not charging him for creating a hazard which he was in fact if these trains went fast enough but for trespassing on property.

No matter what visa he is on I think he will be denied next time he applies.  As the great rock legend/Marine once said

2 hours ago, z42 said:

It's almost a given that his upcoming videos are going to include breathtaking stupidity / naivety so it's only a matter of time before he'll get the boot from LOS.

nate should learn that he would avoid legal trouble if he limits his stupidity to participation under a pseudo name on a popular thailand expat forum

that way he'd probably go unnoticed 

Edited by atyclb

1 hour ago, lovelomsak said:

The Tourism association should hire him. 

He does more to bring attention to Thailand than probably any one else on the internet. He single handed gets millions of views on things in Thailand he is an asset not a liability.

The Thais should thank him for his contribution to bringing Thailand to the masses. More tourism more business etc.

Must remember there is no bad press.

"Must remember there is no bad press."

So all the bad press about Koh Tao is doing wonders for Thai tourism?

2 hours ago, Ricardo said:

I would worry more about overspill, that this story is going to create a bad-impression of farangs amongst Thais, and problems for all of us other long-term residents who wish to be the  "Good Guys In"  living quietly & with respect for the country's culture and customs.

We don't need idiots like this here, I wish he'd go and be hip & fashinable elsewhere ! :wink:

lots of "drama queens" here

Negative guys in the society to be thrown out. He is just using his power as American. He should use the goodwill for the good. Bad guys OUT!

Me too voted against him. ++++

https://www.change.org/p/ขอเสียงร่วมสนับสนุนให้ระงับวีซ่าของ-my-mate-nate-และขับไล่ออกนอกราชอาณาจักร?source_location=petitions_share_skip

3 hours ago, HampiK said:

Yes, he has done a lot of childisch things... and in my opinion he will never learn and have to do more "sorry" in the future... Or he want do like this, because it generates more clicks.

I really not like him... but is this enough to throw him out?

It would be better, when youtube only pays out money for "non stupid" clips.. but this never will happen

The reason he makes stupid sometime insulting clips is for some people to become outraged and go to youtube to see what he has done. For every view and like he gets paid. If he just put on boring travel blog people would not view his vids and he would't make any mony.

3 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

I'm not really surprised that over 65K (and growing) people are on this tool's back.

I have been told that a story, published in Thai, is circulating that when he was back

in the U.S. he took his mother to a Thai restaurant. While there he told his mother to

use rude/vulgar Thai words to speak with the restaurant staff (taught to her by him,

the story presumes). The story has made it's way back here now because the staff

of the restaurant in the U.S. realize that he is doing no-one any good with his view

of Thai people, even though he has managed to learn the language well.

I just did a search and guess its this video. Anyone know what words he got his Mum to say