Pattaya's shame! Man electrocuted in the street right outside district chief's house

webfact

Pattaya's shame! Man electrocuted in the street right outside district chief's house

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

PATTAYA: -- A 54 year old visitor to Pattaya has been electrocuted by a hanging wire right outside the Bang Lamung district chief's house.

The wire was dangling onto the footpath since the middle of the night but no one came to sort out the problem.

In the morning the man came out of a house and was struck to the ground.

Sawang Boriboon medics desperately tried to save his life with CPR before he was taken to Bang Lamung hospital.

While this was going on district chief Naris Niramaiwong came out to coordinate operations making sure that the electrical authorities were doing their jobs.

His house is in the immediate vicinity, said Thai Rath.

The wire was dangling outside a watch shop. The owner of the shop said that he had noticed it at 3 am early Wednesday morning and notified the authorities immediately but no one came.

He said he kept his eye on it as he was sure it could cause an accident especially as there was rain and it was wet.

But he could not watch it all night and he eventually fell asleep.

Early in the morning a relative who was staying in his house visiting from up country went out front with a trolley and was electrocuted.

The man was named as Soei Khiawphansa, 54, and is believed to be recovering in Bang Lamung Hospital

Thai Rath said that the incident occurred on the footpath outside a "Health Park" next to the district chief's house.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-20

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, NormanW said:

Simply shocking that this can happen in 2017. 

RIP.

Dude, read the second last line, he isn't dead, though the term "simply shocking" seems entirely appropriate, given the nature of the incident.

How many times have we all seen trailing wires/cables on the ground at markets etc and wires just twisted together. There is very little "health & safety" in this country.

Lucky no one was killed, only a matter of time though, sadly.

23 minutes ago, aussie11950 said:

So the watch shop owner watched the dangling wires in case someone was electrocuted, but his friend who was staying at his house was electrocuted.

Didn't he get warned?

Just had to take a selfie!!!!

How many times have we all seen trailing wires/cables on the ground at markets etc and wires just twisted together. There is very little "health & safety" in this country.
Lucky no one was killed, only a matter of time though, sadly.

There already have been people killed by these dangling wires seem all over Pattaya
almost every time it floods someone gets electrocuted.
last one I remember was at the corner of South Pattaya and 3rd road right next to school number 8 !
think he was a foreigner too.

4 minutes ago, Paul Collins said:

There's only one English my friend, and it's not US

Very well put sir, the Americans took our language and adulterated it.

Excuse my humor, sorry got carried away, should be HUMOUR in English.

If you feel strongly about that, I'd be happy to refer to it as the American language.

In this case, the word electrocute was coined by US newspapers to describe execution via the electric chair. Later it became used to include accidental death by electricity.

It is non-American speakers of English that have recently starting using it to include serious non-fatal injuries. While I accept the natural evolution of language, this usage seems like laziness to me. Why not say "nearly electrocuted" or "barely escaped electrocution"?

Anyway, back on topic, congrats to the paramedics who saved him.   

" Sawang Boriboon medics desperately tried to save his life with CPR" reads to me like they were not successful.

If the guy survived, and is in the hospital, I hope that he makes a full recovery.

Too bad it wasn't the district chief himself that got jolted. If it was him, something might get done.

Was the man tall for a Thai? As a somewhat taller than average Thai male, I am very wary of any of the many wires dangling just enough to nail us. One might think it was a plot or something to bump us off with "plausible deniability"

In our street we have a huge cement electric pole, that will fall at any time. Of course nothing or nobody has reacted to it and will not. 

You see, the thing is that it simply has to fall before anyone will see and understand the issue. Just the way people think here and then things like this does happen. Its just all about luck or bad luck. I figure the odds are low for getting the thing in my head, so I mostly worry about how long time the electricity will be off, when it happens. Guess I have lived here way too long :-)

Edited by khunpa