Military tells baht bus operators: Organizing you will mean more visitors and better traffic flow

webfact

New rules already in place:

NO MORE STANDING at the back of a Baht Bus since yesterday !

Drivers at the Sukhumvit lines that go to second road were chasing away people who entered a full Baht Bus and wanted to stand at the back. The told them they have to use the next car.

Obviously police order. A women screamed "can not stand, Police see, pay 2.000 Baht".

That will cost the operators a lot of money, as those Sukhumvit lines and the line leaving for Jomtien from Second road / Pattaya Tai never left before being packed with 15-16 people and not the standard 2x6 sitting on the benches.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Oh, boy. Now I can see them trying to pack eight people sitting per row in a space that comfortably seats five adults. 

Yeah, it will be like the Jeepney's in AC.

I actually think it may be a good idea for safety reasons. 

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Can't believe the enforcement would last. Like everything else they try. If it sticks, they would have a good reason to demand higher fares. 

Make all Big tour buses stop outside city centre and make the Chinese hordes catch baht buses into the centre. 
Problem solved!

Here's an idea . Armed guards on walking street . 100 baht entry fee . And free drinks and food , and watch the sexy lady's for free . Everyone's income would triple . And we could get pissed for nothing , thanks to the Chinese masses , slowly walking st wouldn't be so much fun for them , they would stay in there big flash hotels , and there would be at least 100 big buss's of the beach and second road. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 7/21/2017 at 3:38 PM, THAILIBAN said:

NO MORE STANDING at the back of a Baht Bus since yesterday !

Oh, no!  I prefer to stand on the back rather than be squeezed in between other folks.  I'm a big fella and I'm sure the other folks are not thrilled to have me shoehorn my torso between them, either.  Thank heaven for Grab and Uber.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:58 PM, bkk6060 said:

Stuff the safety! If I wanted that I'd stay at the over regulated sanuk devoid desert I call my home country.

Clinging onto the back of a songtheaw at full tilt is as good as a fairground ride.

Not going to work. Once the bus sets off, if it is full, the driver can't tell if new passengers are standing at the back. If they want to do this, they should replace baht buses with small enclosed buses, but who will pay?

I think some bureaucrat is getting off coming up with stupid, unenforceable regulations to inflict on the populace, or perhaps they just want more ways to fine people.

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Stuff the safety! If I wanted that I'd stay at the over regulated sanuk devoid desert I call my home country.

Clinging onto the back of a songtheaw at full tilt is as good as a fairground ride.

Kind of like rat patrol I get it.  You must be a young buck.  For tall guys like me in their 60's when they hit one of the many bumps in the road at full tilt, watch your head.

Kind of embarrassing, but I actually had to make a few chiropractor visits after a ride on the back. The bounce and impact/jarring threw my back out.  Not a place I want to be.

Edited by bkk6060

Just now, bkk6060 said:

You must be a young buck.  For guys like me in their 60's when they hit one of the many bumps in the road at full tilt, watch your head.

Kind of embarrassing, but I actually had to make a few chiropractor visits after a ride on the back. The bounce and impact/jarring threw my back out.  Not a place I want to be.

LOL. I'm well over 60. Perhaps you should be using the taxis. Safer than putting your back out.

Actually, standing is safer if one bends the knees a bit, as it absorbs the impact in the legs and not the spine, and no roof overhead to hit head on.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I'm well over 60. Perhaps you should be using the taxis. Safer than putting your back out.

Actually, standing is safer if one bends the knees a bit, as it absorbs the impact in the legs and not the spine, and no roof overhead to hit head on.

HA.  I bought a motorbike.  Turns out to be probably the least safe option. :)

This new 2x6 rule does obviously only apply to the tourist area Baht Buses. Along Sukhumvit, it is business as usual for the red, white and light blue lines. Every day around 4 pm, there are still 25+ bodies of pupils stuffed into those sardine cans as of yesterday.

On 7/21/2017 at 3:09 PM, bkk6060 said:

With this, I am sure most are aware the Military is the boss of the land.  They can give the Thai police orders and direction, not the other way around.

True, but the RTP doesn't really have to follow all those orders or heed any of that that direction. It's only when the army (Prayuth) takes a public stance on something that we suddenly see these joint RTP-Army raiding parties, traffic stops, etc.. like they have been real good buddies with a common interest forever .

Ruinous interference by idiots.  The baht buses are unique in the  world and the get on /get off anywhere system sums up the freewheeling charm of Pattaya.  Cheap convenient and efficient. Hey bullies! Leave them buses alone! Micromanagement by unelected thugs. When will this nightmare end?  When will an elected democracy be allowed again. They have ruined bangkok-killed off Chang mail.... Mediocrity and conformity is the hallmark of military management. Never in the history of Thai coups has so much war been declared on the people. It's punishment pure and simple. I await the Thai/Isssan spring. 

Edited by The manic

On 27/07/2017 at 7:36 PM, The manic said:

Ruinous interference by idiots.  The baht buses are unique in the  world and the get on /get off anywhere system sums up the freewheeling charm of Pattaya.  Cheap convenient and efficient. Hey bullies! Leave them buses alone! Micromanagement by unelected thugs. When will this nightmare end?  When will an elected democracy be allowed again. They have ruined bangkok-killed off Chang mail.... Mediocrity and conformity is the hallmark of military management. Never in the history of Thai coups has so much war been declared on the people. It's punishment pure and simple. I await the Thai/Isssan spring. 

the " freewheeling charm of Pattaya " .! 

That is one of the more imaginative descriptors I've seen to describe the place .. 

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 3:01 PM, Justgrazing said:

OK thanks Tbl .. Got any idea where some charm or charmingness may be found within the World Class Resort ..

World class indeed. :cheesy:

The guys that come up with these stupid ideas would do better sorting out all the very real and dangerous problems around Pattaya than trying to drive away the farangs with ridiculous regulations that benefit no one while letting criminals like the jet ski operators and demolition companies that won't secure their hoardings operate unchecked.

Pattaya has been steadily going downhill as a desirable holiday destination for a long time now, and this isn't helping.

If they want to make traffic run better, ban all parking on Beach and Second. Too easy?

On 7/20/2017 at 7:47 AM, bkk6060 said:

Why is that?  The military is the government and most governments are in control of this type of regulation.

Local governments (e.g. councils, cantons, depending where you're from) control their own bus services, not national governments.