Driving in Bangkok and Thailand generally

I'm a US citizen and wondering if people can sketch out the best way for me to proceed to legally drive in Thailand.  I'm about to buy a small motorcycle and will also be driving a friend's car from time to time.  I have a 1 year non-immigrant O retirement visa and a US driver license class MC (allowing me to drive both motorcycles and cars).  I'm going to visit USA next month and could grab an International Driving Permit easily, which I believe covers me for 90 days under Thai law, but I would like to be legal so I'm covered by insurance if in an accident.  I don't really know where to go to get a license.  I heard it is difficult, is that true?  Thanks for any helpful replies!  :-)  And yes, I understand that motorcycles in Thailand are dangerous above and beyond what they are in the USA, no need to caution me on that front, thanks.  

I'm a US citizen and wondering if people can sketch out the best way for me to proceed to legally drive in Thailand.  I'm about to buy a small motorcycle and will also be driving a friend's car from time to time.  I have a 1 year non-immigrant O retirement visa and a US driver license class MC (allowing me to drive both motorcycles and cars).  I'm going to visit USA next month and could grab an International Driving Permit easily, which I believe covers me for 90 days under Thai law, but I would like to be legal so I'm covered by insurance if in an accident.  I don't really know where to go to get a license.  I heard it is difficult, is that true?  Thanks for any helpful replies!  :-)  And yes, I understand that motorcycles in Thailand are dangerous above and beyond what they are in the USA, no need to caution me on that front, thanks.  

I am sure others will readily jump in to correct this but, I understood that an international license was valid if you were on a tourist entry
If the visa (or entry permit) has been changed to any other type for long stays then you must have an in country Thai license
Obviously this again comes down to how the officers involved interpret it just I understood this to be the facts... anyone, right or wrong?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Just go to your local land office with your current licences, passport, & I believe you'll need a residence certificate & doc cert (easy if you have a pulse)....You might have to take a class there or possibly just a color eye test & accel to brake test and you'll probably be out in under 2 hours with a license in hand....Procedures vary from office to office...CM is pretty easy....

The further out in the boonies possibly less hassle and you can walk right through (helpful to have a Thai speaker with you) as they try and accomodate - unless you're so far out they really don't know what to do, that possibility exists too....

If you told us where you are then someone can tell you where your nearest DLT office/test centre is! Allow the best part of a morning for a 1 1/2 hour video presentation, colour and peripheral vision tests and a reaction speed test. 

Knowing your nationality of little use in answering the questions.

If you didn't have a motorcycle license, the test and getting one is quite easy.

19 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

If you told us where you are then someone can tell you where your nearest DLT office/test centre is! Allow the best part of a morning for a 1 1/2 hour video presentation, colour and peripheral vision tests and a reaction speed test. 

Knowing your nationality of little use in answering the questions.

If you didn't have a motorcycle license, the test and getting one is quite easy.

Thanks, I live in the Asok area of Bangkok, right by Terminal 21

5 hours ago, wealthychef said:

Thanks, I live in the Asok area of Bangkok, right by Terminal 21

OK your nearest DLT licensing office is just past Soi 99.  Get off the BTS at Bang Chak. If you pass DKSH building/Pedestrian overpass you have gone too far. . Go early in the morning, it opens at 8.00. The medical certificate can be obtained at any small local clinic. Can't find one near you? There is one on the corner of Soi 48, but it means a walk to and from Prakhanong BTS. You don't need a photograph they take that for you as it is integrated into the license. What else you need has been covered by links given in previous posts.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

OK your nearest DLT licensing office is just past Soi 99.  Get off the BTS at Bang Chak. If you pass DKSH building/Pedestrian overpass you have gone too far. . Go early in the morning, it opens at 8.00. The medical certificate can be obtained at any small local clinic. Can't find one near you? There is one on the corner of Soi 48, but it means a walk to and from Prakhanong BTS. You don't need a photograph they take that for you as it is integrated into the license. What else you need has been covered by links given in previous posts.

Thanks for that very helpful post

Archived