Yellow shirt leaders spared

webfact

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

I see. So what judicial system reforms were carried out so far this century in all the years of elected governments?

No elected government have enough power to fight power outside system. What needed is democratic system to be bedded in. Need opposition to want election more than coup for quick power. Maybe take 10 year of democracy before elect government have power to start fix judiciary. What certain though. If keep have coup. Never fix judicial system.

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Your logic is badly flawed.

That is the equivalent of saying that we will let you off for murdering a bank guard because you were already convicted of bank robbery.

The invasion and occupation of Government house and sedition are two different crimes, and one cannot be used to negate the other.

Actually they're not much different. Sedition is " language or behaviour that is intended to persuade other people to oppose their government"  - Cambridge English dictionary. But don't let a definition get in the way of your bias.

1 minute ago, khunken said:

Actually they're not much different. Sedition is " language or behaviour that is intended to persuade other people to oppose their government"  - Cambridge English dictionary. But don't let a definition get in the way of your bias.

Sound like Suthep should be court for sedition. What you think dictionary man?

1 minute ago, Pridilives said:

Sound like Suthep should be court for sedition. What you think dictionary man?

Maybe and maybe so should the red shirt leaders in 2010 - what do you think, red shirt man?

14 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Fritz was correct, in pointing out that the yellow-leaders had been prosecuted and sentenced, he was responding to a previous poster who'd said wrongly that their punishment had been  "nothing".

And the logic that one crime could be used to negate another crime, that wasn't his logic (he didn't express a view on it) but the Court of First Instance's, as shown in the OP  ..

" The court cited the facts that the six accused of sedition had already been convicted for invasion of Government House – the seat of the country’s administration – and been punished with a two-year jail term, as its reason for dismissing the sedition case. "

You are correct Ricardo. I vented my disgust with the court on Fritz.

Apologies, Fritz. And thanks for setting the record right, Ricardo.

Cheers

6 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

You are correct Ricardo. I vented my disgust with the court on Fritz.

Apologies, Fritz. And thanks for setting the record right, Ricardo.

Cheers

You're very welcome  ...  I share your begrocklement with the rulings of the Thai courts, also with the extremely-long delays in considering cases, and suspect that we'd all agree with Baerboxer  when he says  "But the vagaries of the judicial system cry our for reform - and no party, elected or otherwise seems interested in that hot potato! ".

I sometimes think we ought to have a thread, concerning those things we do all agree on, I suspect there are plenty. :jap:

9 minutes ago, khunken said:

Maybe and maybe so should the red shirt leaders in 2010 - what do you think, red shirt man?

Sedition does not apply when illegitimate government. In fact when fight illegitimate government fight is opposite sedition.

so no- not for redshirt 2010

Just now, Pridilives said:

Sedition does not apply when illegitimate government. In fact when fight illegitimate government fight is opposite sedition.

so no- not for redshirt 2010

Complete rubbish. Nothing illegitimate about the government as it was recognised at home and abroad as democratically elected - but not by Thaksin after (some of)  his ill-gotten gains were removed.

You're trolling and too bigoted to bother with anymore.

3 minutes ago, khunken said:

Complete rubbish. Nothing illegitimate about the government as it was recognised at home and abroad as democratically elected - but not by Thaksin after (some of)  his ill-gotten gains were removed.

Trying hard to understand what you posted. Did you say that this government is recognized abroad as democratically elected? Just to be sure where is the bigot . 

Just now, Eric Loh said:

Trying hard to understand what you posted. Did you say that this government is recognized abroad as democratically elected? Just to be sure where is the bigot . 

Read the prior posts Eric and you'll get context. Don't just come in at the end and make an idiotic comment.

1 minute ago, khunken said:

Read the prior posts Eric and you'll get context. Don't just come in at the end and make an idiotic comment.

Read that and seem the correct comment that this illegitimate government has committed a seditious act and you replied that there is nothing illegitimate and further is democratically elected. So basically you wrong twice. Now who is the idiot. 

6 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

The red supporters can't or will not read properly again and sprout their nonsense without any base:

"had already been convicted for invasion of Government House – the seat of the country’s administration – and been punished with a two-year jail term, as its reason for dismissing the sedition case."

se·di·tion
səˈdiSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: sedition; plural noun: seditions
  1. conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch.
    synonyms: rabble-rousing, incitement to rebel, subversion, troublemaking, provocation; More

Origin
late Middle English (in the sense ‘violent strife’): from Old French, or from Latin seditio(n-), from sed-‘apart’ + itio(n-) ‘going’ (from the verb ire ).

Nope, nothing in there that equates with the lighter charge of simple invasion of government property that they got charged with. They have gotten a totally free pass on incitement whereas someone from the other side just got banged up for a "rather libelous" action.

6 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Read that and seem the correct comment that this illegitimate government has committed a seditious act and you replied that there is nothing illegitimate and further is democratically elected. So basically you wrong twice. Now who is the idiot. 

You obviously didn't read all the posts between the troll & me. Go and read all of them before making any more of a fool of yourself. 2010 is a clue.

5 minutes ago, khunken said:

You obviously didn't read all the posts between the troll & me. Go and read all of them before making any more of a fool of yourself. 2010 is a clue.

You did make the erroneous statement. That's all I am referring.  

31 minutes ago, khunken said:

Nothing illegitimate. Red win election. Yellow use court remove samak. Yellow use court remove somchai. Army make newin change party. Is exactly illegitimate government. Right for be government come from people. Abhisit never have it. Want proof. Look what happen when have next election. Red landslide.

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

You did make the erroneous statement. That's all I am referring.  

You thought I was referring to the current government - wrongly because you couldn't be bothered to read the posts that led up to the one you replied to.

Now I don't know or care what you are referring to & I'm not going to waste any more time & effort in doing the tiny bit of information gathering that you were too lazy to do.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:
se·di·tion
səˈdiSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: sedition; plural noun: seditions
  1. conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch.
    synonyms: rabble-rousing, incitement to rebel, subversion, troublemaking, provocation; More

Origin

late Middle English (in the sense ‘violent strife’): from Old French, or from Latin seditio(n-), from sed-‘apart’ + itio(n-) ‘going’ (from the verb ire ).

Nope, nothing in there that equates with the lighter charge of simple invasion of government property that they got charged with. They have gotten a totally free pass on incitement whereas someone from the other side just got banged up for a "rather libelous" action.

Additionally, previous convictions are usually considered by courts as  an aggravating factor, rather than the contrary. :smile:

13 hours ago, webfact said:

The court cited the facts that the six accused of sedition had already been convicted for invasion of Government House

these are two separate issues. why o why try to mix them ?; have to be backdoor payments; public statements such as cited here make me scared of their 'justice system'

9 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

The red supporters can't or will not read properly again and sprout their nonsense without any base:

"had already been convicted for invasion of Government House – the seat of the country’s administration – and been punished with a two-year jail term, as its reason for dismissing the sedition case."

So if I broke into somebody's house and stole property, If convicted for the break in, I should be dismissed for the theft crime?

9 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

The court deem defamation is a more serious crime than 7 months occupation of a government institution which is a strategic infrastructure and thus considered a terrorist act. The former get straight to jail while the latter got 'slap on the wrist' determination of penalties suspended for 2 years. Seem the fairness of the judiciary system contribute to the political divisiveness and a hinder to reconciliation. 

does anyone really believe that this whole post 2014 program is anything but a 'squash the redshirts program' ?

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

does anyone really believe that this whole post 2014 program is anything but a 'squash the redshirts program' ?

Amazingly a few still do despite all the evidence to the contrary, despite the fact that there is yet another junta in charge, led by an ultra-nationalist and ultra-royalist. He is so firmly in the yellow camp it's ridiculous to even think he is above colored shirt politics. 
After more than three years of junta rule nothing has changed on a fundamental level - it's all been cosmetic (as is painfully evident by looking at the "Boss" case).
The fight against corruption and cronyism hasn't even started yet, the judiciary, police and armed forces are so compromised it beggars belief and yet the junta keeps claiming they're here to fix things!
Of course the yellow shirts are getting off easier under the junta. After all, what's the point of being in power in Thailand if you can't use that power for corrupt purposes?!

4 hours ago, khunken said:

You thought I was referring to the current government - wrongly because you couldn't be bothered to read the posts that led up to the one you replied to.

Now I don't know or care what you are referring to & I'm not going to waste any more time & effort in doing the tiny bit of information gathering that you were too lazy to do.

Your horse is backwards.