Streaming US Major League Baseball (MLB)

Gumballl

After scouring the web for whether it is possible to stream MLB TV on a Linux box, it seems pretty straightforward.  All I would need to do is to ensure that my browser allows for the mlbtv.com site to use Adobe Flash.  Well, maybe my system is unique, but that did not work.  I tried with both Firefox and Google Chrome.

I did, however, find information that offered an alternative for my (K)Ubuntu 16.04 system.  The steps involve the following (which presume the user has established an account at mlbtv.com):

1. Install mlbplayer app: 

$ sudo apt-get install mlbplayer

2. Install mplayer2:

$ sudo apt-get install mplayer2

3. Create personal configuration file for mlbplayer:

$ python /usr/bin/mlbviewer.py

4. Edit generated configuration file, at ~/.mlb/config, using your favorite editor.
  Insert 'user' and 'pass' values that are associated with your
  MLB account.

5. Save file / exit.

6. Relaunch mlbplayer:

$ python /usr/bin/mlbviewer.py

7. Select the game you wish to watch, pop open a cold one, and enjoy baseball!

• 1 month later...
After scouring the web for whether it is possible to stream MLB TV on a Linux box, it seems pretty straightforward.  All I would need to do is to ensure that my browser allows for the mlbtv.com site to use Adobe Flash.  Well, maybe my system is unique, but that did not work.  I tried with both Firefox and Google Chrome.

I did, however, find information that offered an alternative for my (K)Ubuntu 16.04 system.  The steps involve the following (which presume the user has established an account at mlbtv.com):

1. Install mlbplayer app:    $ sudo apt-get install mlbplayer2. Install mplayer2:   $ sudo apt-get install mplayer23. Create personal configuration file for mlbplayer:   $ python /usr/bin/mlbviewer.py4. Edit generated configuration file, at ~/.mlb/config, using your favorite editor.  Insert 'user' and 'pass' values that are associated with your  MLB account.5. Save file / exit.6. Relaunch mlbplayer:   $ python /usr/bin/mlbviewer.py7. Select the game you wish to watch, pop open a cold one, and enjoy baseball!

The best way to watch games on Linux is to subscribe to MLBTV and install Kodi and the (unofficial) MLBTV addon. That does not require flash and supports up to 720p/60fps resolution (assuming that you have the bandwidth).

Archived