Man attacked by wild monkeys in Phuket at Khao Toh Sae

webfact

Man attacked by wild monkeys at Khao Toh Sae

Phuket Gazette 

1_2017724115816378_lausAyGdFaksBhvnioxYbydMFLsrfBgRcbKcZQFf_jpeg.jpgMr Lee was treated for deep gashes on his leg and later taken to hospital. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- A 52-year-old man was attacked by a troop of monkeys in Phuket at Khao Toh Sae (also known as ‘Monkey Hill’) this morning. 

The victim, a Thai man named by rescue workers only as ‘Lee’, had bought peanuts to feed the monkeys. While walking up the hill, the monkeys tried to snatch the peanuts from his hand. 

Mr Lee panicked and tired to defend himself, but fell to the ground as more than a dozen of them closed in on him.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Man-attacked-wild-monkeys-Khao-Toh-Sae/66801?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-07-24

3 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Only the print edition (I think).

"Other than our office, owned by a shareholder (not the Gazette itself), our primary asset has long been the Gazette Online. It has now been sold to a well-funded and rapidly expanding tech-based company in Hong Kong. The sale and the buyer’s plans for the site will be announced shortly."

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Citing-indelible-memories-people-Phuket-Gazette-bows/66765#ad-image-0

Hard to say at this stage.

Holding a bag of peanuts out, and then trying to defend yourself from the monkeys (macaques I would imagine) from taking snatching them from your hand.

Not too clever in that respect. Sorry, I'm on the side of the macaques here.

Monkeys are nasty ,they don't like to share ,they want everything. If they don't get everything they get angry. They do respect a slingshot (catapult for the Brits) ,if they've had a taste you don't even have to use it , once they see it in your hand they are gone.

1 hour ago, The Old Bull said:

Monkeys are nasty ,they don't like to share ,they want everything. If they don't get everything they get angry. They do respect a slingshot (catapult for the Brits) ,if they've had a taste you don't even have to use it , once they see it in your hand they are gone.

To be fair, you cannot tar them all with the same brush.   I've met grabby and aggressive wild monkeys. I've met others who will respectfully take the food out of your hands and others who will just sit next to you and share whatever you have.

There are all kinds of dynamics within a group,  so you can't be complacent.