Time needed Don Muang to Swampy early morning

About 1 hr. by taxi. My guess on the price:  B 300 - 400. Your much bigger risk is that your train will be late. Thai trains usually run late. I would highly recommend you switch to the bus, if that is still feasible for you. Southbound buses would probably stop in front of the Don Muang terminal if you request in advance. Failing that, get off at Rangsit, which is about 10 min. before  Don Muang. 

The free bus shuttle between Don Muang and Swampy would be a better bet, because it uses all the toll roads. May have to wait about 20 minutes between shuttles. Usually under 2 hours travel time. Being stuck in a taxi when the driver is trying to increase his profit by avoiding the toll roads is no fun.

AVOID the TRAIN-2-3-4 hrs late is very common.

I took that shuttlebus late eve some monthes ago (comparable in traffic) and it took 55 mins. Note that you first need to get an approval (show ticket) which is also stamped on your hand and it seems there is a max limit to pax taken-even though its a normal citybus lookalike from AOT, but with extra luggageracks.

I use the shuttle bus often at peak time and never longer than 1.20 min .However the problem is you are allowing less than one hour to check in for your next flight and if that is not a domestic flight you will be hard pushed to make it

Further on the shuttle  sometimes recently a Chinese tour guide will appear with about thirty people to use the shuttle that only seats  18 people.

If you take a taxi tell the driver to use the toll roads and you will pay the tolls. They like that. If you get off the bus at Rangsit beware the drivers who don't want to use the meter. They told us 600 baht to Swampy.....we found an older driver who used the meter and it was around 400 baht.

On 25.7.2017 at 7:50 AM, malibukid said:

why don't they just build a BTS connection between the two airports?

Maybe someone knows the background of the ongoing rail construction to Don Mueang.

I only see that they are working on that.

There is an ambitious plan already to connect U-Tapao / Suvarnabhumi / Don Mueang.

Shuttle bus: I used it a couple of times from Suv. to Don Mueang around noon.

Never needed more than an hour.

What can be quicker than a non-stop connection all on tollway (except a speeding van/taxi :whistling:)?

I have used the shuttle bus on numerous occasions and if your train is on time it will be the best option. At that time of the morning though i think the frequency of the shuttle is every 30 mins. Most of the time the shuttle has taken just less than 1 hour. The other public transport option (takes about 1 hr 15m) is take a bus from Don Muang (same place as shuttle) to Mo Chit, get the BTS to Phaya Thai and then change lines and direct by BTS  to Swampy. If you just miss the shuttle and there is a Mo Chit bus waiting it may just be a quicker option but it will cost you 80 baht or so. Either way if your train is on time you should be at Swampy by 0730.

Edited by rogeroc

On 7/25/2017 at 7:50 AM, malibukid said:

why don't they just build a BTS connection between the two airports?

Since it has taken them about 2 years to complete the 1 km bit to connect the Blue Line with the Purple Line, I reckon by the time they finish the inter-airport links, the OP's flight will have left already.

On 7/25/2017 at 8:03 PM, KittenKong said:

How many people would use it? The last time I went to Don Muang was when it was the only Bangkok airport.

Since it is Bangkok's primary domestic airport, you may be surprised at the amount of users. Earlier this month, I used Don Meuang for the first time in about 6 years and was stunned at the changes. Even more stunned than I was about 6 years ago which was the first time I'd used it since it was the only Bangkok airport.

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Even more stunned than I was about 6 years ago which was the first time I'd used it since it was the only Bangkok airport.

I don't understand this remark.

Suvarnabhumi has been opened in Sep 2006, more than 10 years ago.

In December 2008 I was stuck during the occupation.