Canadian expat Muay Thai fighter found dead of suspected hanging in Patong

snoop1130

5 hours ago, jlena said:

We are shattered but in the end all that matters is that he isn't in pain anymore. People need to have some respect for family and friends in these situations before running their mouths off. He just wanted peace and now he has found it.

Yes agree, very tragic indeed.

I would like to add something, which I believe is the saddest part of all. My guess is that during some times in our lives, we all have suffered from depression, only some people can cope with it better than others. We may feel down and then wake up in the morning and feel fine. For others depression could involve a deep decline until they cannot see any hope, the pain goes too deep.

But I wonder when some people are feeling down or those who are suffering from longer term depression, have family and friends that are prepared to listen or they can turn to in times when feeling the blues? When I have felt down, I`ve gone out and had a few drinks or a meal with friends, had a good moan, put the world to rights and always  feel better afterwards. It`s like releasing a pressure valve when the pressure builds up. But have to wonder how many people are left to deal with it alone or simply not understood? Especially in Thailand, where westerners may feel isolated and alone. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps the news media needs to set their standards a little higher? :whistling:

If anyone read the complete article from Phuket News there was a disclaimer about not naming the deceased person until the paper was sure that the relatives had been informed first BUT then publish a comment in which the deceased person was named! Go figure! 

Sometimes there is a case for the messenger to be shot.

I am not sure whether the Phuket News belongs to the same publishing group as The Nation/Thaivisa.

6 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Yes agree, very tragic indeed.

I would like to add something, which I believe is the saddest part of all. My guess is that during some times in our lives, we all have suffered from depression, only some people can cope with it better than others. We may feel down and then wake up in the morning and feel fine. For others depression could involve a deep decline until they cannot see any hope, the pain goes too deep.

But I wonder when some people are feeling down or those who are suffering from longer term depression, have family and friends that are prepared to listen or they can turn to in times when feeling the blues? When I have felt down, I`ve gone out and had a few drinks or a meal with friends, had a good moan, put the world to rights and always  feel better afterwards. It`s like releasing a pressure valve when the pressure builds up. But have to wonder how many people are left to deal with it alone or simply not understood? Especially in Thailand, where westerners may feel isolated and alone. 

Just going on what you have said here IMO you [as is quite common with so many people] are confusing "feeling depressed" with actually having depression.

When you have "depression" esp major depression which is in part diagnosed with this question " are you having serious thought about suicide and or homicide?

There is a huge difference, a bit like comparing a broken fingernail to a compound femur fracture for eg

Believe me, if you are "depressed"  the cure you use/ suggest is simply not possible.[sadly]

Yes, from my experience, many people ,whether here or in the west are frequently left isolated and alone, because people do not understand and even at times don't want to understand.

Its too hard for them..as most symptoms are invisible, whereas a person with physical injuries is obvious and because of this they get a bit more support.

On 7/24/2017 at 8:03 PM, cyberfarang said:

Maybe it`s the bad influences found on the Internet that is the main culprit for many people committing suicide these days.

People are being unwittingly groomed into ways of thinking or types of cultures that discretely put across a human life is not sacred and it`s acceptable and a right for people to terminate their own lives if they so wish. There are many websites dedicated to showing ways of committing suicide and probably how many that do take their lives learn the methods of how to do it.

I have a cousin in the States suffering from depression. She emailed me and said that when the actor, Robin Williams killed himself, that he gave others permission to do the same. All part of a weird culture being peddled by certain individuals and groups online, especially on the social media that can have dangerous influences on people almost like a kind of cult that is shaping people`s lives. Oh dear, my girlfriend doesn`t love me, I`ve run out of money. I know; I`ll jump off a ten story building tonight, that will solve all my problems.

We should question what sort of society is being created among people today and especially online, where boundaries should be drawn.

you have missed the point farang suicides in Thailand have question marks so big you can't see them.

6 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Perhaps the news media needs to set their standards a little higher? :whistling:

If anyone read the complete article from Phuket News there was a disclaimer about not naming the deceased person until the paper was sure that the relatives had been informed first BUT then publish a comment in which the deceased person was named! Go figure! 

Sometimes there is a case for the messenger to be shot.

I am not sure whether the Phuket News belongs to the same publishing group as The Nation/Thaivisa.

If I am reading your post correctly, surely they did the decent thing?They did not name the deceased person until the relatives had been informed. Once that had been done, then they published a comment in which the deceased person was named? Incidentally, I can not see the report that names him in the Phuket News, and the only paper that I can see that mentions his name is the Toronto News.

Edited by sambum

3 hours ago, sambum said:

If I am reading your post correctly, surely they did the decent thing?They did not name the deceased person until the relatives had been informed. Once that had been done, then they published a comment in which the deceased person was named? Incidentally, I can not see the report that names him in the Phuket News, and the only paper that I can see that mentions his name is the Toronto News.

Read me again

"...BUT then publish a comment in which the deceased person was named! Go figure! "

I have no problem with the person who commented on the deceased person (in fact it was very touching). 

I think the Phuket News should have removed the disclaimer if they knew that the relatives had been advised. Sloppy journalism!

22 hours ago, happyas said:

This forum should ensure that on such sensitive topics that these morons do not get their posts published.

This forum makes all of its money by the flurry of clicks and endless speculation of those morons and makes sure they have an abundance of exactly this type of story to ensure the clicks keep coming.

46 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Read me again

"...BUT then publish a comment in which the deceased person was named! Go figure! "

I have no problem with the person who commented on the deceased person (in fact it was very touching). 

I think the Phuket News should have removed the disclaimer if they knew that the relatives had been advised. Sloppy journalism!

Not at all! Read me again:- 

The only report that I could see where the victim was named was The Toronto News - I can see no report with his name published in the Phuket News, yet you say that they published a disclaimer, and then published his name in a later comment! Can you give me a link to that report?

"* The Phuket News is withholding the man’s identity until it has been confirmed that his next of kin have been notified."

This is not "sloppy reporting". I  think that this should be standard procedure in these cases - showing a bit of consideration for the next of kin. How would you feel if a close member of your family  was found dead, and the first you heard about it was in a newspaper?

Or are you saying that the names of dead people should never be disclosed if their families have been notified? 

Edited by sambum

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:03 AM, cyberfarang said:

Maybe it`s the bad influences found on the Internet that is the main culprit for many people committing suicide these days.

People are being unwittingly groomed into ways of thinking or types of cultures that discretely put across a human life is not sacred and it`s acceptable and a right for people to terminate their own lives if they so wish. There are many websites dedicated to showing ways of committing suicide and probably how many that do take their lives learn the methods of how to do it.

I have a cousin in the States suffering from depression. She emailed me and said that when the actor, Robin Williams killed himself, that he gave others permission to do the same. All part of a weird culture being peddled by certain individuals and groups online, especially on the social media that can have dangerous influences on people almost like a kind of cult that is shaping people`s lives. Oh dear, my girlfriend doesn`t love me, I`ve run out of money. I know; I`ll jump off a ten story building tonight, that will solve all my problems.

We should question what sort of society is being created among people today and especially online, where boundaries should be drawn.

Well stated.  Unfortunately, the internet and mass media allow and make it extremely easy for what in the past would have been deemed irresponsible behavior to be promulgated.  An abhorrent extension of the right to free speech and the availability to broadcast it

19 hours ago, sambum said:

Not at all! Read me again:- 

The only report that I could see where the victim was named was The Toronto News - I can see no report with his name published in the Phuket News, yet you say that they published a disclaimer, and then published his name in a later comment! Can you give me a link to that report?

"* The Phuket News is withholding the man’s identity until it has been confirmed that his next of kin have been notified."

This is not "sloppy reporting". I  think that this should be standard procedure in these cases - showing a bit of consideration for the next of kin. How would you feel if a close member of your family  was found dead, and the first you heard about it was in a newspaper?

Or are you saying that the names of dead people should never be disclosed if their families have been notified? 

If they knew the relative/s had been advised (and they must have, to allow the comment) then it would take 1 minute to remove the disclaimer!

"Sloppy" or are they just big noting themselves? Rhetorical question - I don't want or need your answer. Have a nice day :thumbsup:

Edited by lvr181
Additional wording

As you deign not to answer my questions, then I am certainly not going to answer yours!

However, I will just say that I do not understand your rhetoric ("big noting themselves"?) or agree with your reasoning at all, as you are referring to a comment that as far as I can see has not been made!

And I certainly am having a nice day - same to you - no response necessary.

On 7/24/2017 at 8:03 PM, cyberfarang said:

People suffer enough censorship already. Why would anybody want to waste time and money to censor an essentially fantasy world online?

Except for a relatively small segment of the ether taken up with financial and commercial activity, most posters are either anonymous or heavily disguised. No substance, just image.

People can pretend to be anybody they want, and say whatever they want.  I think most participants learn quickly to be wary of most content.