How much power over Cat5e

janclaes47

I want to send power over Cat5e to power my CCTV cameras.

I understand that Cat5e is required to be is 22 or 24 AWG or 0.64 > 0.51mm.

This is of course a very thin wire, but the power is also only 12VDC.

I have read several answers on the internet, and then I also was thinking that it are actually not the Amp that is important but rather the Watts.

This website seems to agree with me and quotes that I actually could send 5 Amp over a 22 AWG wire.

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/WireCapacityChart.htm

I'm gonna use this balun to transfer the power to the camera, which uses 2 wires per phase, so would that mean I can double the current to 10A?

5976336ae8cd8_balun4.jpg.01a9e7eb504decc13b7b2faffdc4c1ee.jpg

How much voltage drop should I expect over Cat5e cable?

Volt drop is going to be your problem.

22 AWG copper is about 53 Ohms / km = 0.053 ohms / metre, or 0.1 Ohms / metre out-and-back.

At 5A that means you'll drop 0.5V for every metre of run, after only 5m your voltage is down to 9.5V.

Not practical.

POE (Power Over Ethernet) uses higher voltage (50V DC) but still uses currents maxing out at around an Amp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Volt drop is going to be your problem.

22 AWG copper is about 53 Ohms / km = 0.053 ohms / metre, or 0.1 Ohms / metre out-and-back.

At 5A that means you'll drop 0.5V for every metre of run, after only 5m your voltage is down to 9.5V.

Not practical.

POE (Power Over Ethernet) uses higher voltage (50V DC) but still uses currents maxing out at around an Amp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

Thanks, I will forget about sending the power over the Cat5 and get individual power adapters.

@janclaes47

One day, the POE failed, therefore the demountable WiFi was kaput. We were in a remote location that took awhile to supply the power connection bits (I think they are like small cylinders, but memory hopeless).
So if you get POE, buy spares, and if your power is a bit up and down, buy 2 sets of spares. It always fails when you need it, but with spares you're covered.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, carlyai said:

@janclaes47

One day, the POE failed, therefore the demountable WiFi was kaput. We were in a remote location that took awhile to supply the power connection bits (I think they are like small cylinders, but memory hopeless).
So if you get POE, buy spares, and if your power is a bit up and down, buy 2 sets of spares. It always fails when you need it, but with spares you're covered.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

My cameras are not PoE enabled cameras, so PoE will not work, but good to know that I should stay away from PoE as I don't  fancy blown cameras.