Doctor who left 1 million baht on bus apologizes for giving conductor candy as reward

snoop1130

Doctor who left 1 million baht on bus apologizes for giving conductor candy as reward

By Coconuts Bangkok

9fdghjk.JPG

Sumon Matidul (R), a conductor of Bus No. 511, was rewarded with two bags of candy for returning THB1.12 million cash to a doctor. Photos: Johjae

The Thai doctor who forgot a backpack filled with THB1 million (more than USD29,000) in cash on a bus on Sunday has apologized to the bus conductor who returned his money for not giving her the reward she deserved.

This week, a story that was supposed to restore faith in humanity quickly turned into internet drama, when netizens found out that the forgetful passenger, who works as a gynecologist, rewarded the bus conductor with only two bags of candy.

Sumon Matidul, conductor of Bus No. 511 which runs on the Bangkok outskirts, said the doctor called her to apologize after the story earned media spotlight and people quickly called him a “cheapass.”

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/doctor-left-1-million-baht-bus-apologizes-giving-conductor-candy-reward/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-7-25

A nice and very understanding lady, who did the right thing, because it was the right thing, and even said Thank you for the token reward. I appreciate the guy owed the money, but he would owe a hell of a lot more if it weren't for her honesty. The family really should appreciate that and chip in to give her something a little more appropriate.

Is that how Thai society is? expecting monetary rewards for honesty? And then shame the doctor when he didn't give it?

The best rewards are knowing that 1 has done an honest deed even when there is nothing in return for it. 

I could be brought up wrongly, but all the times when i returned stuff that was lost by another person, i have never expected anything in return for it. FLame me all you want but I think the people who were against the doctor are crazy.

6 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

Is that how Thai society is? expecting monetary rewards for honesty? And then shame the doctor when he didn't give it?

The best rewards are knowing that 1 has done an honest deed even when there is nothing in return for it. 

I could be brought up wrongly, but all the times when i returned stuff that was lost by another person, i have never expected anything in return for it. FLame me all you want but I think the people who were against the doctor are crazy.

It's nothing to do with what you expect to receive as a reward when you've done some good deed like this lady did. It is the fact that the doctor had no sense of decency, no real awareness that a woman making a small monthly wage had the honesty to return over a million baht. It is the doctor who should look in the mirror and be ashamed for not giving her a very decent reward and a big thank you.

Shame on him, the doctor, who no doubt will remain nameless and kudos to the bus conductress who showed what true honesty is all about in LOS.

"Following the story, Thai celebrity lawyer Songkran Atchariyasap said those who return lost belongings to their owners can demand a cash compensation of 10 percent of the value of the returned goods."

legally? 

As in, the person who lost the money/goods in the first place has to pay up?

Edited by Bluespunk

What a very small and despicable person that 'doctor' is! Not 100,000, not even 10,000 reward, bah! Stupid enough to forget bags of money on a bus (or elsewhere) , and avaricious on top of it! The stingy b..tard should be named and shamed! 

Following the story, Thai celebrity lawyer Songkran Atchariyasap said those who return lost belongings to their owners can demand a cash compensation of 10 percent of the value of the returned goods.

Or we can just do good without expecting any reward, just like Sumon.

Demand a cash compensation of 10%? <deleted>?

2 minutes ago, thehelmsman said:

Finders keepers, loosers weepers

You can dress it up anyway you like. If she had kept it she would be a thief, and if caught she would be prosecuted as a thief, 'Finders keepers, loosers [sic] weepers' would just not cut it in court. It's called theft by finding and using your logic you could just go around stealing any unattended object and come out with the phrase 'finders keepers, losers weepers' and take ownership of the object. Sorry that is not how society works.

Like I originally said she's obviously not a thief.

3 minutes ago, Nord X said:

You can dress it up anyway you like. If she had kept it she would be a thief, and if caught she would be prosecuted as a thief, 'Finders keepers, loosers [sic] weepers' would just not cut it in court. It's called theft by finding and using your logic you could just go around stealing any unattended object and come out with the phrase 'finders keepers, losers weepers' and take ownership of the object. Sorry that is not how society works.

Like I originally said she's obviously not a thief.

Too many ifs. She didn't take it while his back was turned. He left it and walked away. Sum num naa works here.

1 minute ago, thehelmsman said:

Too many ifs. She didn't take it while his back was turned. He left it and walked away. Sum num naa works here.

It doesn't work in court I can assure you. The finder of lost property acquires a possesory right by taking physical control of the property, but does not have ownership of the property. The finder must take reasonable steps to locate the owner and be able to prove they have done so. If the finder can't prove reasonable steps to find the owner have been taken then the intention (mens rea) to deprive the owner permanently is easily proved and the person is fund guilty of theft.

It really is that simple.

Cheapass is right!

For gods sakes, kick the lady down some change.

Forget the apology. As the saying goes "talk is cheap" and so is this doctor.

Because of her honesty you have every baht of your money. Many would have taken the money and ran.

She may not be asking for it, but give her 100K as the law states at the very least!