Pattaya has barely seen the like of it since the infamous bust of the foreign bridge players in February last year

webfact

4 minutes ago, tracker1 said:

Playing cards are illegal in Thailand  even worse the were playing for money ! God knows what the sentence will be

The cops will confiscate the 6,500 baht and clip all the "rich" women with farang husbands for 2,000 baht each.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, tracker1 said:

Playing cards are illegal in Thailand

I'm not sure this is true. I have two decks of cards from the Royal Turf Club, complete with tax stamps over the opening of the box. I think bootlegged cards are illegal, meaning they lack the excise tax stamp. Then again, you may be right. I have had those cards lying around for at least ten years, so maybe something has changed.

8 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

That money is no doubt sick father and Buffalo money
That's not BS, and yes even married dudes fall for it

Yep, I once had to lend my wife money because of a buffalo. She hit it with her mercedes and the car had to be brought back to Bangkok on a transporter. No idea what happened to the buffalo.

She paid it back at the end of the month though.

?

..... and in the meantime you have people shooting people, dogs mauling kids, crazies on the road trying their hardest to kill themselves or someone else -- but that's ok, it's much easier to raid a few old ladies enjoying themselves who are not harming anyone.    

29 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Thaivisa notes that district chief Naris has been busy cleaning up the resort.

is this a joke? 

does TV really think busting a bunch of old ladies playing cards is cleaning up the city? 

Yep he sure does. 

1 minute ago, Artisi said:

..... and in the meantime you have people shooting people, dogs mauling kids, crazies on the road trying their hardest to kill themselves or someone else -- but that's ok, it's much easier to raid a few old ladies enjoying themselves who are not harming anyone.    

Dogs, their owners, and suicidal people have no money to confiscate and extort. 

Just now, jaywalker said:

Dogs, their owners, and suicidal people have no money to confiscate and extort. 

now that is a very astute observation, I was really wondering the reasons behind this raid from such a well oiled and professional SWAT elite team, it was like watching clockwork in motion ... 

11 minutes ago, Artisi said:

now that is a very astute observation, I was really wondering the reasons behind this raid from such a well oiled and professional SWAT elite team, it was like watching clockwork in motion ... 

Watching paint dry or ice melt.

The way they ran in, you'd think they'd be screaming "Show me your hands!"

Looks like they all folded though as the cards were face down on the table.

One cop grabbed a hand of cards & said "She almost had Gin Dummy!" She replied with, "Why do I need that sonny with all you dummies around? Shake your booty for us. Crank up the music gals!"

3 hours ago, moe666 said:

No Thais do not get a pass on gambling, a lady in our neighborhood has been busted at least 10 times for gambling along with her friends. She owned a massage and hair salon. When the police drove by and saw the doors shut and a lot of shoes in front it was time for a raid. Usually 2,000b and if they went to court dropped down to 1200b. They did arrest people just watching as a neighbor and her mom were both fined 2000b for being present.

Again Thais do not get a pass

interesting as the biggest gambling in the country, the govt lottery, should be illegal

8 hours ago, Dobredin Ghusputin said:

So, how does one play the Thai game "Dummy"?

Only  in Thailand! With Bib with nothing to do after a chilli lunch. In farlang countries its called clever poker cards. Here it is called appropiately as per article!

I really do wish people could be bothered to read the whole thread before posting their supercilious  put downs on other posters, it really is sad to see that so many love to jump in and claim their superiority over others, you know who you are :whistling:

Apart from that, what a grotesque waste of time, money & resources, really ?? the authorities should be ashamed of themselves, and the irony is that in probably, less than 18 months, it will all be legal anyway. :smile: 

10 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I really do wish people could be bothered to read the whole thread before posting their supercilious  put downs on other posters, it really is sad to see that so many love to jump in and claim their superiority over others, you know who you are :whistling:

Apart from that, what a grotesque waste of time, money & resources, really ?? the authorities should be ashamed of themselves, and the irony is that in probably, less than 18 months, it will all be legal anyway. :smile: 

Many apologized... after 7 corrections by me and KerryD that the article was changed.

7 minutes ago, Blue bruce said:

Come on man, busting old ladies for playing 50 cent poker. Don't the police have anything better to do ! ! ! 

They have- but not capable... 

9 hours ago, jaywalker said:

My wife (actually me), was shaken down for 10K baht once for a minor traffic accident, that wasn't her fault. I was miles & miles away.

The cop told her "You have farang name. All farang have big money. Must pay 10K baht or I make big problem for you".

In a car, dash cams all around the car unfortunately seem to be a solution....one could always send the footage higher up perhaps?

4 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

In a car, dash cams all around the car unfortunately seem to be a solution....one could always send the footage higher up perhaps?

Agreed. However, this happened prior to the age of dash cameras....which was not that long ago. 5 years or so?

She called me in BKK crying her eyes out, saying she needed 10,000 baht.

I don't understand the comparison with the bridge-playing people some time ago. 
In this case the women were obviously gambling and money was involved. 

I agree, no comparison at all. Bridge is not gambling even if the police seem to think so.

12 minutes ago, Mike555 said:

Thai government. Still focusing on all the wrong stuff.

Focus, nar--- it's called ad-hoc do what you want but don't tink to mut give you headache. 

1 hour ago, LawrenceN said:

I'm not sure this is true. I have two decks of cards from the Royal Turf Club, complete with tax stamps over the opening of the box. I think bootlegged cards are illegal, meaning they lack the excise tax stamp. Then again, you may be right. I have had those cards lying around for at least ten years, so maybe something has changed.

Tax on playing cards thats even worse ! you may be right but when you come back from shopping across the border at Mai Sai there are a hell of a lot of playing card cofiscated

Archived