Girlfriend denied a US tourist visa last week

You can write your State Representative, Congressman or your parents can contact an Immigration lawyer, The US Embassy is obligated to respond to congressional correspondence and give a specific  reason she was denied.  You were not discriminated against, no spouse, boy/girl friend can attend the interview with an applicant.

• Like 1

Disagree and it depends on the circumstances.

I have known several young Thai women that had no money, whereas their new found loves of their lives (British boyfriends) have tried to sponsor their trips to the UK. Everyone of them, without exceptions, had to be interviewed at the British embassy in Bangkok and most failed. There are no ways that a Thai person without already having some kind of US or UK visas can book a flight, just jump on a plane and travel to those countries.

Others who booked trips to the UK by official tours with reputable travel agents and companies were not required to be interviewed and had no problems. This is why I cannot understand if the OP`s story is fact and his GF is part of a successful multi million baht family company, why his GF did not book with a tour operator? As I said; something is amiss here.

That must have been a very long time ago as there have been no interviews at the Embassy for UK Visitor visas for many years. 7by7 provided the stats for Visitor visas and I seem to remember the success rate for Thailand was 95%. I very much doubt the success rate for US visas is anywhere near that.

9 hours ago, Gumballl said:

Perhaps the wrong answer to give.  Tourists go to the US to visit sites, take in the attractions, learn of the (ahem) culture, etc.

The Consulate Official may have thought that perhaps there were other plans.  Marriage perhaps?

Remember, the visa is for her, not for you... and it has nothing to do with you, your relationship, etc.  That's is why you should not have even come to the consulate.  Your GF does seem to have strong reasons to return to Thailand after a stay in the US, but for her to mention that she is only going there for your benefit and to meet your parents should not have even been brought up.

Anyhow, my 2 satang.

Exactly.  The OP's girlfriend never had a chance, as I found out in retrospect, neither did my girlfriend.  Not only was the interview over in less than 2 minutes, the embassy employee (a farang who, according to my girlfriend, spoke excellent Thai) was exceedingly rude and abrupt with her.  He never looked at any of the volumes of paperwork she brought with her, nor did he ask her any questions...unless you consider "you're a liar, you're going to the US to circumvent the engagement visa route, aren't you?"  My girlfriend is 50, sole caregiver for her 3 year old grandson, and owns her own apartment.  None of that mattered.  She never had a chance, and I wasted $160.

We realized after the fact that the only way she's ever going to get a tourist visa to come to the US is if 1) we're married, and 2) I'm living in Thailand.  So it will have to wait a few years.

The OP should not bother applying again unless the above conditions also apply to him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, catman20 said:

this maybe slightly off topic but i know several Thai ladies go to USA either alone or with friends and they  never had a problem one ladies is going this weekend for a month.

Same here.  The OP appears to have done a runner.  Is he going to comment in his own thread?  But no matter, I've known plenty of Thai females going to the USA...for legitimate "tourist" reasons.  No problem.  Going with an American "boyfriend" is a huge red flag.  The OP clearly did not do his homework. 

Edited by Berkshire
  • Like 1

She shouldn't have said anything about you.  

However, if you are working in Thailand and have a work permit then that changes everything.

She needs to prove to them she will return, as soon as they hear boyfriend they expect her not to return.

If you show you are living and working in Thailand and get a letter from your employer showing you need to return

then you should re-apply.

My WIFE was denied on her first attempt, we got a woman interviewer and I could tell within 30 seconds she wouldn't get the visa. She went up the next year with the exact same info without me, got a male interviewer and got a one year visa. Since then she's gotten a five year and a ten year. I think it depends on how the interviewer feels on that day. I was thoroughly disgusted with the embassy personnel the first time but we persevered and finally got one. As other posters have mentioned I don't think it's a good idea to mention boyfriend or fiance'....just my opinion.

• Like 1

What if the Thai woman applying for USA tourist visa is married to an American citizen (i.e., myself)? We've been legally married for two years now. 

I am retired in Thailand and have lived about 10 months per year here for the past six years. I have a 5-year Thai Elite Visa. I own a condo in BKK (for 12 years) and I own a house in Hua Hin (for two years).

My wife only wants a tourist visa. She does not want an immigration visa or green card, nor do we want to reside in USA -- we will continue to reside in Thailand. But I want her to be able to travel with me in the USA for about four weeks once or twice per year. 

Any and all experienced, factual information is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by HerbalEd

7 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Visas success rates are the State Department's dirty big secret.  They keep it a secret because it would show that success rates can be quite high in some very dodgy countries, yet atrocious in countries that we have had peaceful relations with for 184 years.  Japan and Germany would be the tip of the iceberg.  I think doing the fiancee visa seems like a better bet...get married at a courthouse of your choice....or not.  Good luck, you have a right to be pissed.

Not a secret at all. Stats are posted in state department annual report. I posted the link yesterday in a another thread. Don't talk from your ass. Google it. I'm in a good mood, did it for you

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/law-and-policy/statistics.html

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, csabo said:

Not a secret at all. Stats are posted in state department annual report. I posted the link yesterday in a another thread. Don't talk from your ass. Google it. I'm in a good mood, did it for you

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/law-and-policy/statistics.html

Totals are meaningless, when you could have a 95% Rejectionn rate in Thailand, and a 95% acceptance rate in El Salvador.  You are the one talking out your ass.  Decades living close to DC.  William Colby spoke at my aunts retirement.  State Department and specifically the Foreign Service is plagued by 

political donors or fundraisers, consisting of unemployable Ivy Leaguers, with a bunch of former Peace Corps workers, who licked ass, filling in the cracks.  The intelligence community is like a pilot locking the cabin door.....

When I was thinking about getting a tourist visa to America for my thai gf I did a lot of research. I found that it's very difficult for an average thai girl to get a tourist visa because the US Embassy presumes she won't return after the visa ends and it's up to you to concince them otherwise with serious ties to the country like kids left behind, a lot of property or a house, or having a high-profile job. An average thai girl with none of that will definitely be denied. Also if she states she's going to visit a boyfriend it's an automatic rejection because the tourist visa is meant for tourism, not to see your love and they're afraid you might decide to get married while you're there which would allow you to stay and apply for a green card and that would circumvent the law and allow you to avoid the waiting time and charges associated with a K1 or K3 visa. So you're basically screwed is what I came to the conclusion to. SHe had a couple friends like her that got denied for going to see their boyfriends in Australia and the Embassy told them in a letter that no one can sponsor you for a tourist visa. You have to stand on your own for it. So I didn't even apply. I ended up visiting her many times over a couple years and finally applying for a K1 fiancé visa which just got approved. So I understand your frustration:

Edited by fordguy61mi

I wanted to take my girlfriend with me for a two week holiday to California, she was also refused within 2 minutes. It made no difference that we had had holidays in the UK and Australia they point blank refused any of her paperwork and only wanted to know about me such as why I had chosen to live in Thailand and a couple of other similar questions she wasn't prepared for.

Same thing happened to me and my Gf. They don't want to hear anything about a bf living in Thailand (or USA). She reapplied and got denied a second time. Now she is sitting next to me in the airport lounge after successfully getting a K1 visa. The US immigration policy is F'ed. We wasted a lot of money and time and now the first time she will arrive in the US she will be there almost certainly permanently. ( no chance to check it out first) They have no way to properly assess risk of people with good intentions but thousands of illegals pass through everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Basically, all these Bozos are doing by denying single guys with no history the ability to take their girl for a visit is give leverage to the higher up syndicates.  It is like going after the Sinaloa Cartel by arresting people wearing Bob Marley t-shirts.  There is a huge shortage of nurses and caregivers in the US...many Thai women would do well at these jobs.  A lot of the healthcare workers are low class riffraff in the States.  A lot of physicians are very frustrated that they can't find anyone they can trust with a syringe.  

1 hour ago, 1BADDAT said:

Same thing happened to me and my Gf. They don't want to hear anything about a bf living in Thailand (or USA). She reapplied and got denied a second time. Now she is sitting next to me in the airport lounge after successfully getting a K1 visa. The US immigration policy is F'ed. We wasted a lot of money and time and now the first time she will arrive in the US she will be there almost certainly permanently. ( no chance to check it out first) They have no way to properly assess risk of people with good intentions but thousands of illegals pass through everyday.

Exactly. It's very frustrating. Sorry you had to try twice. I decided to just go for the K1. Congrats to you. My girl should be here within a month. What a pain in the butt, eh?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Same here.  The OP appears to have done a runner.  Is he going to comment in his own thread?  But no matter, I've known plenty of Thai females going to the USA...for legitimate "tourist" reasons.  No problem.  Going with an American "boyfriend" is a huge red flag.  The OP clearly did not do his homework. 

But dose not seem to be a problem to go to other countries like England with a boyfriend.

4 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:
5 hours ago, 1BADDAT said:

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile a

Total empathy for you . Should be an automatic right for established citizens  of all countries . Same story for the UK but the stats show 90 - 95% of applications are granted . Have a masseur in the system  ? The assumption should be in favour of the applicant and down to the embassy etc to prove otherwise . I can understand the negative decision if the applicant is of no financial standing and the possibility of ulterior motives  but when there are proven assets and reasons to return to Thailand it makes no sense . It feels like there is an injustice of human rights and racial discrimination towards Asian countries .The whole process needs to be reformed . What makes the matter worse is that using a third party agency improves your chances of success .

• Like 2

She shouldn't have said anything about you.  
However, if you are working in Thailand and have a work permit then that changes everything.
She needs to prove to them she will return, as soon as they hear boyfriend they expect her not to return.
If you show you are living and working in Thailand and get a letter from your employer showing you need to return
then you should re-apply.

I was working in Thailand with a work permit and my GF got denied. There is no where on the application to explain anything. The second time she tried they asked her what country I lived in. Denied again.

17 hours ago, moe666 said:

Thats not true a friend of my wife had applied twice before and been refused, she married her boy friend and was approved for a 10 year visa. Me and the wife have lived together for 7 years and she applied last year before marriage, yes she was denied, the denial doesn't make any sense they didn't look at any of the supporting documentation. We will try again next year.

You are supporting my exact claim and are to foolish to know it.  Your friends wife was DENIED WHEN SHE HAD A US BF.  I never made claims about denial rates in married couples.  Don't waste my time and cloud the thread.  I also told you the supporting info is worthless.  A second point you missed.  Go back and try to read it again.

18 hours ago, speckio said:

well there is the k1 visa option... do you hear wedding bells? if not as stated above forget about bringing her to america.

Thats not for USA BF's it's for future husbands and is a hassle of it's own.  A person should not have to get married to visit another country.  I thought that was common sense. 

It seems fairly obvious that a tourist visa has nothing to do with partners or families of partners.  So you shouldn't turn up with your partner, nor should they be mentioned, either in the application or in the interview, and the applicant should be prepared to (confidently) answer the inevitable questions like "do you have a boyfriend".  If it were me, I would get the applicant to turn up with a Thai person or alone.  No foreign faces.

The applicant should have a detailed day-by-day itinerary of the places they want to go, because this is what a real tourist would have.  They should have a basic understanding of how to get there (how are they travelling, if bus, where is the bus station, how many hours to travel to the destination etc).

If possible the applicant should find a (real) friend of the same gender, age and nationality to plan to visit the country with, I feel the application is much more likely to be a success if two friends are travelling together, as that's typical of how Thais (particularly female Thais) would travel.  Whether or not that friend does ever visit the country once the visa is granted is irrelevant.

In this thread the only '2 minute interviews' have been the ones that have mentioned a US partner, it's too late for those guys, but anybody else reading this should be very careful not to make the same mistakes in the application, which is easy enough because you're lying on your bed filling in a form, there's no pressure.  The interview itself is harder because the question will be asked directly, face to face.  Practice asking and answering the questions that the interviewer is likely to ask.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chou Anou said:

Exactly.  The OP's girlfriend never had a chance, as I found out in retrospect, neither did my girlfriend.  Not only was the interview over in less than 2 minutes, the embassy employee (a farang who, according to my girlfriend, spoke excellent Thai) was exceedingly rude and abrupt with her.  He never looked at any of the volumes of paperwork she brought with her, nor did he ask her any questions...unless you consider "you're a liar, you're going to the US to circumvent the engagement visa route, aren't you?"  My girlfriend is 50, sole caregiver for her 3 year old grandson, and owns her own apartment.  None of that mattered.  She never had a chance, and I wasted $160.

We realized after the fact that the only way she's ever going to get a tourist visa to come to the US is if 1) we're married, and 2) I'm living in Thailand.  So it will have to wait a few years.

The OP should not bother applying again unless the above conditions also apply to him.

You would be surprised that even a person with a child or two, and/or a property or two, will still denied a (tourist) visa to the US.  If the person decides to overstay their US visa, the child will still be fine (most likely taken care of by relatives), and property (-ies) will still remain under the ownership of the person.

What I am trying to get at is that the child/property attributes may not matter much to the consulate official.  The person interviewing for the tourist visa needs to demonstrate, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that they are not at risk of overstaying or becoming a burden to the US.  The bar for this is very high.

Hey guys, I am really blown away by the amount of responses, information and support. I really appreciate it all.

So it looks like a lot of us are in the same boat here.... I'm a HUGE patriot and love America... but man, this visa situation really feels like a kick in the balls.

So to sum up most of the responses... Looks like she was denied basically instantly when she mentioned "American boyfriend".

Someone asked earlier if she brought in my passport... Yes, she did... And yes, its littered with Thai tourist visas and extensions (been a "tourist" for 5+ years now haha).

Should we apply again with say an invitation letter from my parents and her reasoning for the trip to just be tourist type stuff like visit Disney World (never mentioning boyfriend)?

Or should we just go straight for the K1 visa?

Again, I really appreciate all of the responses.

14 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

It seems fairly obvious that a tourist visa has nothing to do with partners or families of partners.  So you shouldn't turn up with your partner, nor should they be mentioned, either in the application or in the interview, and the applicant should be prepared to (confidently) answer the inevitable questions like "do you have a boyfriend".  If it were me, I would get the applicant to turn up with a Thai person or alone.  No foreign faces.

The applicant should have a detailed day-by-day itinerary of the places they want to go, because this is what a real tourist would have.  They should have a basic understanding of how to get there (how are they travelling, if bus, where is the bus station, how many hours to travel to the destination etc).

If possible the applicant should find a (real) friend of the same gender, age and nationality to plan to visit the country with, I feel the application is much more likely to be a success if two friends are travelling together, as that's typical of how Thais (particularly female Thais) would travel.  Whether or not that friend does ever visit the country once the visa is granted is irrelevant.

In this thread the only '2 minute interviews' have been the ones that have mentioned a US partner, it's too late for those guys, but anybody else reading this should be very careful not to make the same mistakes in the application, which is easy enough because you're lying on your bed filling in a form, there's no pressure.  The interview itself is harder because the question will be asked directly, face to face.  Practice asking and answering the questions that the interviewer is likely to ask.

I have to ask this . Thai lady friend has been to Europe and the States with an organised tour and never had a problem visa wise . She was travelling alone and booked the tour as such until she joined the tour group .  Could this be a better option ?  Next year off to the UK , not booked yet but totally confident of making the trip .

18 hours ago, speckio said:

i think its allot easier for her to obtain a visa since you are married. as long as as you meet the other requirements like wages and prove you are planning on returning to your home country it should be fine.. also when they ask reason for visit... the only acceptable reason is travel and holiday related. (want to take the wife and kids to disneyland)

Married four years, my wife was denied a visa. The interview was quickly over after she said we didn't own (and will never) a house here. I think we'll get it next time around, but I don't care anymore. I just got back from two weeks there and was ready to leave after a week. Motel 6 in the Bay Area was $135 a night and they wanted $5 for wifi. I'd rather travel in Europe. 

From what I've read the tour groups seem to have a higher success rate.  It's one extra way for the trip to appear legitimate.  This probably applies for Thais visiting most countries (other than the poorer asian countries), not just the US.  Maybe more expensive up front but cheaper in the long run.

When you browse social media there are plenty of Thais standing in front of US landmarks like the Golden Gate Bridge, but hard to know how many of those were there on tourist visas, maybe they were there on student visas or some other type of visa.  And my social media timelines are mostly full of 20 something Thai girls, so maybe it's different for older Thai women.

Your definition of a tourist is pretty narrow minded. Tourists stay with partners or families all the time. I just came from USA to stay in Thailand for a week and pick up my fiancé. Does this exclude me from being a tourist? Because Thailand didn't seem to care.

You mentioned a detail that clearly shows you know nothing of the actual USA visa interview process. The only person allowed in the Embassy is the interviewee. Bringing another Thai person just means they will wait outside the gate. I am an American citizen and I wasn't allowed in.

She shouldn't need an itinerary or bring a friend or whatever to "bypass" the real intention. You shouldn't have to lie.

My passport is 3 books thick and completely full. If I want to bring my gf to the USA with me for a week then why the hell not? It's pretty obvious they know me. Why can't I vouch for her?

PS. I know 2 other girls who lied and both got 10 year visas. Welcome to the USA!

I'm not saying what I think a tourist is, my opinion is irrelevant.  The only person's opinion that matters is the person deciding the outcome of the claim, and my post runs parallel with their likely thought process.

I didn't say anything about them going inside the room, numerous posts in the thread already confirmed you can't take anybody inside with you.  My understanding was you could wait inside in a waiting room, if that's not correct then I still wouldn't turn up with a foreign face, in case the guy is sipping tea looking out of the window.

You shouldn't have to lie, you're right.  But this is a government/organisation that is refusing to let you travel from one piece of land to another piece of land, in the name of bureaucracy.  Who has the moral high ground here, really?  You do whatever it takes to beat the system.

The rest of your post is basically just backing up what I and everybody else here is saying, that being economical with the truth usually works, and being honest often doesn't work.

I'm not saying what I think a tourist is, my opinion is irrelevant.  The only person's opinion that matters is the person deciding the outcome of the claim, and my post runs parallel with their likely thought process.

I didn't say anything about them going inside the room, numerous posts in the thread already confirmed you can't take anybody inside with you.  My understanding was you could wait inside in a waiting room, if that's not correct then I still wouldn't turn up with a foreign face, in case the guy is sipping tea looking out of the window.

You shouldn't have to lie, you're right.  But this is a government/organisation that is refusing to let you travel from one piece of land to another piece of land, in the name of bureaucracy.  Who has the moral high ground here, really?  You do whatever it takes to beat the system.

The rest of your post is basically just backing up what I and everybody else here is saying, that being economical with the truth usually works, and being honest often doesn't work.

You make some valid points. The problem is it is so hard to know all the right things to do and what not to do.

The US embassy in BKK will only allow the interviewee with an appointment inside the gates. No one else is allowed.