Britain says free movement of people with EU will end after Brexit

webfact

Britain says free movement of people with EU will end after Brexit

tag-reuters.jpg

Britain's Minister of State for Immigration Brandon Lewis leaves 10 Downing Street after a cabinet meeting, in London, June 27, 2017. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth/Files

LONDON (Reuters) - Freedom of movement of people between Britain and the European Union when Britain withdraws from the bloc, immigration minister Brandon Lewis said on Thursday.

Lewis said a new immigration system would be in place by the time Britain left the EU in March 2019.

"Once we have left the EU, this government will apply its own immigration rules and requirements that will meet the needs of UK businesses, but also of wider society," Interior Minister Amber Rudd said in an article in the Financial Times.

"I also want to reassure businesses and EU nationals that we will ensure there is no 'cliff edge' once we leave the bloc," Rudd said.

(Reporting by William James and Cassandra Garrison; editing by Guy Faulconbridge)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-27

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Senseless morons 

What is the point of making that statement now?

Goodbye single market, goodbye customs union

I was aware that an embarrassingly large proportion of the electorate are numpties, but I am surprised to see numpties in positions where they can cause real damage!

6 minutes ago, KunMatt said:

As so it should.  This is what we were told Brexit was, this was what we voted for.

Anything else and it isn't leaving the EU.

Surely some mistake? The Brexiters never stop telling us that it had nothing to do with immigration!

26 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Senseless morons 

What is the point of making that statement now?

Goodbye single market, goodbye customs union

I was aware that an embarrassingly large proportion of the electorate are numpties, but I am surprised to see numpties in positions where they can cause real damage!

You've been constantly Remoaning now for more than an entire year and yet it's still happening.  It's like all of the complain you've dedicated the last year to has been for nothing.

3 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

So I guess no negotiations are even necessary since Brexit means Brexit and it has a univ.ersally unerstood meaning. Good to know.

Brexit means no single market and no freedom of movement.  That's what we were told time and time and time again before the referendum.

Nobody is saying that we cannot negotiate trade deals with the EU for after we leave, but if we are still part of the single market we have to accept freedom of movement and that isn't Brexit.

3 hours ago, KunMatt said:

You've been constantly Remoaning now for more than an entire year and yet it's still happening.  It's like all of the complain you've dedicated the last year to has been for nothing.

It's not over 'til the fat lady sings. 

2 hours ago, KunMatt said:

Brexit means no single market and no freedom of movement.  That's what we were told time and time and time again before the referendum.

Nobody is saying that we cannot negotiate trade deals with the EU for after we leave, but if we are still part of the single market we have to accept freedom of movement and that isn't Brexit.

Such naivety 

I'm starting to think that either there will be no exit or the EU will collapse in on itself before or around the time when it happens which will be the same, especially if negotiations fail. I expect them to fail.

All it takes at that stage is for a couple of the smaller countries and perhaps one larger one like Greece or Italy to pull out or even voice dissent and it could trigger a collapse.

One day each country will be notified of the new future 'post brexit' contributions that they need to pay, that's going to be an interesting day. I wonder when they're approving the next budget.

4 hours ago, Grouse said:

Yes, unfortunately a large proportion of the British public are dum, unaware of what opportunities will be lost as a result of the UK deciding to go it alone. Apparently they will have to learn the hard way.

Presumably you mean 'dumb', not dum.  

Yes, we will lose opportunities.  The opportunity of having Roumanian families living under bridges,  Latvian gangsters running car washes, Polish rapists coming to enjoy the UK's superior benefit system.  I hope we will also have lost the opportunity of watching gangs of east Europeans selling a few copies of "The Big Issue" which qualifies them as being able to claim UK benefits.  Racist am I?  No, I welcome qualified Europeans who will benefit the UK.  They were welcome before, they will still be welcome.  

43 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I'm starting to think that either there will be no exit or the EU will collapse in on itself before or around the time when it happens which will be the same, especially if negotiations fail. I expect them to fail.

All it takes at that stage is for a couple of the smaller countries and perhaps one larger one like Greece or Italy to pull out or even voice dissent and it could trigger a collapse.

One day each country will be notified of the new future 'post brexit' contributions that they need to pay, that's going to be an interesting day. I wonder when they're approving the next budget.

Not everything in life is about money. 

I want my greater family to be able to work where they like, live where they like and retire where they like.

What kind of Numpty would not agree with that? ( a few fruit & veg pickers and some bar staff. Great!)

Is is ingnoramuses or ignoremi? Replies on a post card please!

16 minutes ago, KunMatt said:

Please grace us with some wisdom oh wise elderly one.

Consider all the consequences calmly grasshopper!

The solution to your problem may be the cause of many others!

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Consider all the consequences calmly grasshopper!

The solution to your problem may be the cause of many others!

I have considered them all carefully and decided that we are much better off out of the EU at this time and going forward with what is happening all over Europe.

So what points were naive in that post which you criticised?

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Serious question.

Did you vote remain or leave?

Fair question

I am highly educated, well informed, speak 3 languages, have lived all over the world, and am comfortably off.

My decision was originally 60:40 but now 100% to remain.

I want my family to benefit from the overwhelmingly positive aspects of being closely integrate with Europe economically, socially and culturally.

24 minutes ago, lungbing said:

Presumably you mean 'dumb', not dum.  

Yes, we will lose opportunities.  The opportunity of having Roumanian families living under bridges,  Latvian gangsters running car washes, Polish rapists coming to enjoy the UK's superior benefit system.  I hope we will also have lost the opportunity of watching gangs of east Europeans selling a few copies of "The Big Issue" which qualifies them as being able to claim UK benefits.  Racist am I?  No, I welcome qualified Europeans who will benefit the UK.  They were welcome before, they will still be welcome.  

Depressing nihilistic outlook. Have a beer!

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Fair question

I am highly educated, well informed, speak 3 languages, have lived all over the world, and am comfortably off.

My decision was originally 60:40 but now 100% to remain.

I want my family to benefit from the overwhelmingly positive aspects of being closely integrate with Europe economically, socially and culturally.

I'm not a Brit, so no rights to vote, but it was clear to me from the 23th of June 2016 that the winners of the referendum were the losers, they only didn't realise it.

I think many of them regret it now, and others just want to keep their heads high, but the subject of the OP is a fact and I hope it will be strictly enforced.

5 minutes ago, KunMatt said:

I have considered them all carefully and decided that we are much better off out of the EU at this time and going forward with what is happening all over Europe.

So what points were naive in that post which you criticised?

Well, I don't think you have considered fully the balance of what would be lost v what would be gained

I think much of our immigration policies are due to the poor control of our borders and failure to leverage regulations open to us

I think that leaving the customs union and single market will be a massive blow and that is related to the way we deal with immigration

The EU is ready, I believe, to agree adjustments to free movement

The EU has been a boon to me and I hope others will benefit!

?

49 minutes ago, the guest said:

Yes, unfortunately a large proportion of the British public are dum, unaware of what opportunities will be lost as a result of the UK deciding to go it alone. Apparently they will have to learn the hard way.

"Yes, unfortunately a large proportion of the British public are dum"

I don't normally bother with the spelling police stuff, but this one is such a spectacular own goal, I couldn't let it go un-noted :laugh:.

7 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

"Yes, unfortunately a large proportion of the British public are dum"

I don't normally bother with the spelling police stuff, but this one is such a spectacular own goal, I couldn't let it go un-noted :laugh:.

Khun Han is of course a storch (six)  Brexiteer so we permit him his victories however small. ?

Edited by Grouse