Police Check Requirements

Since this is the Teaching Forum, let me guess that you are being recruited by a real international school in Thailand, and have to provide a thorough UK police check. Thailand is looser than a goose. You probably only need to provide a police check for the fussiest of schools, and I suppose you could provide evidence that you have applied for a check which will soon be forwarded to you in Thailand.

Unless you are a high profile criminal wanted by Interpol, it is unlikely they are checking you here.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since this is the Teaching Forum, let me guess that you are being recruited by a real international school in Thailand, and have to provide a thorough UK police check. Thailand is looser than a goose. You probably only need to provide a police check for the fussiest of schools, and I suppose you could provide evidence that you have applied for a check which will soon be forwarded to you in Thailand.

Unless you are a high profile criminal wanted by Interpol, it is unlikely they are checking you here.

Just back from getting a change from Non Imm "O" to non imm "OA", current Police report is required. Best to NOT take anything for granted and have 100% of the documentation that is asked by the Thai Government. In my case a background check was easy to obtain from the States by authorizing someone in your home country to apply and recieve it for you. Express mailed and was here 6 days after I requested it. Anyway I did find that the Thai Immigration people were very polite and very helpful in doing this.

OA visa...the experts on Thai visas are on the sister sub-forum for Thai Visa, Work Permits, etc. Had you asked me, I would have thought OA is a retirement visa on which you usually cannot work. Good thing you did not ask me. Ask over on the Thai Visa sub-forum about working on an OA visa, okay?

Question for me ole mate PB ... How do I go about obtaining a background check from the motherland ? Cheers.
Hi, buddy Don't stay away so long next time. :D

I was IRS, not FBI. :o Generally, you go to the FBI website, or to your local county (but it is a long swim to the nearest sheriff's office).

Here is the website http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm

And whilst you are here, tell us about teaching in Thailand, if you will. Tanx

• 4 weeks later...
And whilst you are here, tell us about teaching in Thailand, if you will. Tanx

Well, I've been in Thailand for 2 years now since I retired from the Navy. And I just finished my first year teaching. It was a great experience and I plan to do it for at least another year. Sometimes I wonder why I'm getting up so early in the morning to teach when I'm supposed to be retired. :o

As you might remember I got my TESOL certificate from TEFL International back in 2007. I went even though many advised me it wasn't needed since I already had a Masters degree. Anyway, it wasn't really any help since the English ability of the kids at my school is far higher than what the certificate course prepared me for. So I've enrolled in another Masters program to get a ESL/ESOL specialization. Just let me add that the TESOL certificate course was a great way to get an intro to teaching here in Thailand. Because of the course and my current job I know I won't ever teach at a school with less than at least an EP program. I'm more comfortable with actual teaching than acting.

I was blessed to have some great people mentor me through my rookie year of teaching. Lots of patience and excellent advice given to me throughout the year from a wise British bloke, a young French lady and especially a very, very astute Filipina lady. They know who they are and I'm much indebted to them. I spell certain words like colour correctly and now know what aluminium is. :D

I've read every book I could get ahold of about teaching the past year. Most of the books I read I picked up at used book stores and as it turns out most of them cover the British curriculum. So I know alot about the British national curriculum now. :D

As far as teacher quality goes ... all three groups, Thai/Filipino/Farang, have their share of good and bad. My ethos is to go to work on time, don't miss days, try to be as prepared as possible and do the best you can. And keep in mind that you should always try get better day by day and year by year. And most importantly let the Thai's run their schools the way they see fit. Set the example through your actions not with a mocking bird mouth.

The kids were great. Most of mine were in the native to near native speaking ability range. I followed the curriculum and if the kids couldn't keep up then they basically just got left further behind. Thankfully less than 10 percent of the students were just totally out to lunch. I interviewed at a school in Rayong and their EP kids wouldn't be able to keep up with the kids I had this past year. Some of my kids should be in an international school ... period.

That's it I guess.

Edited by Storekeeper

robski, you're not quite getting ahead of yourself. The police background check is obviously needed, but in practice, it's doubtful it will happen, or doubtful that Thais and farang teachers will figure out how to do it. I've just heard from somebody who's quitting at a university because the paperwork demands are just too tough (and this teacher is way over-qualified!).

We all have to ask, is it worth it, when you meet all the qualifications and still put up with so much .....garbage?

I don't think there is anything unreasonable about requiring police checks to be done, before somebody can teach (should apply to foreigners as well as Thais). Finger printing is a good idea, so Pervs don't slip through the system so easily. With all the sexual abuse going on in Thai schools, I would think that a good teacher would welcome stricter rules, that protect the children?

My wife just applied to move to Canada as a Permanent Resident. She needed finger prints, police checks, background checks, proof of education, etc. etc.

I don't think it's too much to ask for a teacher to do a bit of paperwork and running around, in order to protect innocent children.

Somebody quitting teaching in university, because the paperwork demands are too much???? Maybe he should never have been a teacher in the first place, if he doesn't like paperwork ;-)

Common' guys, it doesn't take that much effort to get a letter from the School and to get a criminal record check done from back home. As far as fingerprints go, if you don't do nothing wrong, why worry about it. Again, it doesn't take a lot of effort to get them done.

As a parent, I would like to see as much protection for my daughter as I can get, along with teachers having proper credentials to teach, so my daughter can learn in a safe environment and actually gain some knowledge.

I have recently received my letter from New Scotland Yard, applied to Devon & Cornwall police with a cheque for £10 who replied that the process was underway and 35 days or so later the letter arrived. No drama and no need to get in a tizz about it. For those of us that fell foul of the law in their youth, as I understand it, after 10 years with no convictions then the record is wiped clean anyway. Printed on the bottom of the letter "This document does not constitute a Certificate of Good Character". I guess it's just x number of years undetected crime then; whichever way you look at it it's a crock and another hoop to jump through but if it stops one nonce getting here then I am all for it.

kurtgruen, I wrote that post 27 months ago. I have always favored police checks if done properly. Time has proven me right: the requirement was quickly abandoned, and seldom implemented. In some jurisdictions, if was not difficult, if you had over a month and did it right. The best schools in Thailand - the fully accredited, very expensive, elite and serious international schools - have always required such background checks of their professional teachers. Many schools here still do not even check university graduation.

As a parent, are you sending your children to a Thai school that pays its foreign teachers over 120,000 baht every month, and lots of benefits?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
From what I understand on the document, these are internal domestic police checks- presumably to see if you've been arrested or penalised for any kind of offense in Thailand. This is not yet, from what I can see, the worst case scenario of having to figure out how to get back ground reports from one's home country in a timely and accurate way, and then worrying about how charges from one's youth will affect one's presence here.

"Steven"

Are you sure the Thai check is internal only.

Would you know if I need to get a UK check done as well- in order to get the visa.

Edited by sunshine108

• 4 weeks later...

My satang's worth.

I am in the process of getting, at least I think I am of getting the Non immigrant B visa before I go to Thailand. Talking with the local honorary Thai Consulate here in the USA, the lady seemed quite happy if I gave her a local police record check clearance letter. I got one today from my local police office. It took about ten minutes to get and was free of charge. Not a busy town here, and I think the lady clerk was happy to have something to do. It definitely is not a national check from what I could tell. I talked to the county agency first and was then directed to the local town police. Quick and easy, but seems pretty superficial. It did find my Dad's speeding ticket from 11 years ago. She said it is not a "criminal" offense so they don't report it and she thought it was me. Funny because she got my middle initial right on the letter, and the speeding ticket was correct against my Dad with no middle initial. Just a reminder to check things carefully before you leave the office.

The USA FBI site does have a pretty straightforward background check process. Go to the website, download a one page cover letter, get your finger prints on that standard fingerprint card and send them in with an $18 USD check. Takes 3-4 weeks they say. That should be a national records check. I am somewhat amazed the local police don't interface with one of the national record systems when issuing the simple clearance letter. I know they do interface with national systems, but maybe don't do it for this. Just look at all those people picked up on outstanding warrrants from other jurisdictions.

Chok Dee.

From what I understand on the document, these are internal domestic police checks- presumably to see if you've been arrested or penalised for any kind of offense in Thailand. This is not yet, from what I can see, the worst case scenario of having to figure out how to get back ground reports from one's home country in a timely and accurate way, and then worrying about how charges from one's youth will affect one's presence here.

"Steven"

Are you sure the Thai check is internal only.

Would you know if I need to get a UK check done as well- in order to get the visa.

Nobody knows.

I've never been required to get one, so I assume I have been 'grandfathered' in, or that an internal domestic check was performed on me perhaps at the school's request and showed I had not committed any crimes during my stay in Thailand.

After 6 years living (but not working) in Thialand, I'm considering moving to Vietnam and to initially do some teaching, (I have Masters and Bachelor degrees from the UK, plus TEFL).

In order to minimise any problems in working legally in Vietnam, I want to obtain a police record check from the Thai police office in BKK, (as previously detailed on this thread).

I understand that one of the documents that is required for the application is your work permit or proof of residence. I have no WP and my name does not appear on the blue house book of my ex's residence in Phuket where I currently live.

Since I will have to come up to BKK from Phuket, I want to make sure that I have all the necessary documents.

How can I obtain proof of my residence address in Phuket? My name doesn't seem to appear on any documents, (although I do report my address every 90 days to Immigration).

Thanks

Simon

Sawatdee Krap, Simon.

I applied for an English teaching job in China. A chinese International language school sent me the contract; I signed the contract and they emailed me the contract back with the official Chinese stamp andf signature.

I have lived in Pattaya area for 5 years, on non-immigrant 0 visas. I went to the Royal Thai Police in Bangkok two days ago, got off the BTS at Chitlom and walked about 6 blocks. The Royal Police are located next to the Royal Police Hospital.

The only documents I had to give to the Royal Police were the following:

1. Show my USA passport and asked how long I have been living in Thailand.

2. Copy of passport main page and non-immigrant visa.

3. Copy of signed contract from Chinese school.

Filled out a 2 page questionnaire with required info like name, address in Thailand, religion, reason for wanting a police background check, applying for job in what country, parents name, degrees you have, etc.

Then I went inside the room to have my cute picture taken. Name and passport number put into computer.

Had fingerprints from both hands taken. Washed my hands clean.

Popped over few meters to desk where they checked for a minute all documents I handed to them.

Paid 200 baht to police colonel.

Given return ticket to me with date, your application number, and Royal Thai police address and phone numbers. They recommend calling before picking up the criminal background check. They told me to come back in 21 days. You can opt to pick up yourself, have someone you give permission to pick it up, or have them mail to your residence.

Whole process took about 20 minutes. Will go back in 19 days to pick up.

ps......dress smartly, nice shirt, black pants, nice shoes. If they happen to ask you for proof of resident, take along a telephone bill or electric bill with your name on it. I brought chanote for condo and house, electric and water bills, etc. but was not asked to present anything to them, except for 3 items listed above. :)

Hopes this helps.

Edited by wrestler7902002

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

They said "from English native speaking countries"... :)

Is that means non native speakers will not need to do?

What's really going on?

As far as i know Thais, this has some background. How about discrimination?

Seem like polite way to say"Thanks, but no thanks" to native speakers' service?

We have been required to get a police clearance for all foreign teachers. For some countries, such as The Philippines, this is quite easy since the NBI (National Bureau of Investigation?) certificate is a police clearance and that comes with their passport.

In Chiang Mai as far as I know teachers have never been required to provide a police check to immigration or labour for extensions or work permits. Also, quite a few Thai consulates don't require a police check to obtain a non-immigrant B visa. I'm happy to tell you the ones I know if you pm me.

We have been required to get a police clearance for all foreign teachers. For some countries, such as The Philippines, this is quite easy since the NBI (National Bureau of Investigation?) certificate is a police clearance and that comes with their passport.

Scott

Is this your school's requirement or a local immigration or labour office requirement?

The Police clearance is required by the Labour Department for processing if I remember correctly. In general, we present to immigration all the paper work, although some of it may not be completed. For example, we may have written for degree verification, but not received it. The application for the police clearance is the same. Although usually the police clearance doesn't usually take too long--a week or so. The non-immigrant visa will be issued on the basis that the documents are coming. The actually documents once received go the MOL.

Cant DIY..gotta get your company to request....or.......ask Pete Docs mate...?

Applicant’s Guide to the CRB's Disclosure Service

The Criminal Records Bureau (CRB), an executive agency of the Home Office, provides access to criminal record and other information to organisations in England and Wales through a service called Disclosure.

Its specific purpose is to help organisations make more informed decisions when recruiting people into positions of trust.

The Disclosure service is also available to other professional, licensing and regulatory bodies whose volunteers, employees and licensees are not necessarily in direct contact with the vulnerable, but still need to uphold the highest standards of professional performance and Disclosure can help improve these recruitment decisions as well.

Through the Disclosure service, organisations can provide greater protection for the vulnerable members of our society and afford greater protection to their customers, staff, volunteers and ultimately their organisation

http://www.crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=1871

Hi Rinrada

i just got back from working as a restaurant manager in central London, and i had to apply for a personal licence which meant i criminal check via 'Disclosure Scotland'. would this be okay for teaching in Thailand???

many thanks Kevin

• 2 months later...

Just a quick one to throw a spanner in the works!!! For fellow brits out there, the CRB is going to be redundant sometime around June or July. Apparently they are bringing in a new system called ISA. This will be a number issued to you personally after full checks are made. You then give it to a potential employer and they can check it in seconds off a database. I have no idea how this would work for thailand!!!

• 2 months later...

ScouseTommy

Just a quick one to throw a spanner in the works!!! For fellow brits out there, the CRB is going to be redundant sometime around June or July. Apparently they are bringing in a new system called ISA. This will be a number issued to you personally after full checks are made. You then give it to a potential employer and they can check it in seconds off a database. I have no idea how this would work for thailand!!!

Sad to say the proposed new system will in the main be totally unused as the majority of Thai administration staff don't have any idea of how to use the current let alone a new improved (?) system.

Take the case of a Scottish deputy H.R. manager who doesn't even know or understand how to check a university degree, take up references and seems unable to or is unwilling to verify his own educational status.

Due to this persons inability we have had some decidedly unsavoury characters pass through our office, however said characters (fake degrees, people who are rather overfond of young children etc.) have been weeded out by departmental managers and also other qualified honest staff along with word of mouth from other sources.

Link the above with the aforementioned characters interest in female applicants and his passion for chatting with females on line all the time whilst he is office bound and his blatant acts of nepotism and there is a fine example of how the current system is unworkable ( or workable for their own ends) by someone who according to his claims is totally qualified and experienced.

What chance the system working with the average Thai staff member, manager level or not ?

The Thai H.R. head is incapable of actually conversing in English so any pervert or wannabee can and will slip through the net due to the vested interests of the Scottish deputy H.R. manager.

The new ISA system will undoubtedly work well within the U.K and probably the E.U. too, however as said '' it will be as clear as mud here in Thailand and as effective as a chocolate fire-guard.''

Sad to say as a result of the actions or inactions of the H.R. people described above we are all tainted by the rotten eggs that get into the education system here in Thailand.

Edited by siampolee

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Are they still requiring foreign teachers to do a police check? Most of the jobs I have seen posted online don't mention needing one. Is it not the school but the Ministry of Labor/Education that needs it still?

I am coming over around May to do my TEFL course at SEE. Should I just get a clearance from my local police station here in the united states? Does it have to be at a state level ( Do I have to go to a State Police post, or will my local city police unit be able to fulfill the CBC)?

I am sorry if these questions have been answered. I just wanted to update this thread for the new year we are well into.

Thanks everyone

Travis