Jomtien Immigration: Reporting returns after travel

Kaoboi Bebobp

Really  ?

I've never heard any stories about corrupted officers in Jomtien , or it must have been a long time ago. Maybe it's a new IO who try to earn some quick cash .  

Never pay anything without a receipt!!! 

11 minutes ago, balo said:

Really  ?

I've never heard any stories about corrupted officers in Jomtien , or it must have been a long time ago. Maybe it's a new IO who try to earn some quick cash .  

So you thought everyone at Jomtien is honest? Usually, people don't come out and announce it. A more typical scenario is foreigners paying for expedited services or services for which they don't qualify. They are not being ripped off so to speak, but rather getting something for their money.

I would suggest Lou62 keep very quiet about this. A defamation charge could follow, and he would be in a very sticky situation without proof.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, balo said:

Really  ?

Best post of 2017  :stoner:

I have been living in Pattaya for coming up to 18 years now and I have never done a TM 30 and have never been asked for one. I never heard of this before until this year when my brother had to get one and he told me all about it, then I read the many threads on here about it with so many confusing reports from jomtien. I got all my documents ready with my wife's ID and a copy of the chanote and I posted it to immigration like it says on there main website, I never got a reply or the slip for my passport so I just forgot about it,  I then went to get my 90 day report nothing said got it easy as usual then around the end of May i went for my exit visa as I go back to Scotland once a year and again no problem getting that. I left Thailand at the end of May for 3 weeks and when i arrived home I went to immigration the next day with my wife with all the documents I needed for the TM 30 and the lady checked everything and stamped the form and put it in my passport job done no problems what so ever. I left pattaya to drive up to Phetchabun for a quick holiday to visit the family but I booked the hotel in my wife's name and I never gave them my passport or my name. Next month I go to immigration again for my retirement extension so I hope that all will go as well as before.  I will always do a TM 30 from now on 24 hours after I have returned from Scotland because that is what they want for me it was only 3 weeks so the 30 days some people are saying was not true for me.  When I leave Pattaya to see my family in Phetchabun I will never give my passport to the hotel or my name it will be the wife that deals with that. 

Regards

Scotsman    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scotsman said:

... I left pattaya to drive up to Phetchabun for a quick holiday to visit the family but I booked the hotel in my wife's name and I never gave them my passport or my name. Next month I go to immigration again for my retirement extension so I hope that all will go as well as before.  I will always do a TM 30 from now on 24 hours after I have returned from Scotland because that is what they want for me it was only 3 weeks so the 30 days some people are saying was not true for me.  When I leave Pattaya to see my family in Phetchabun I will never give my passport to the hotel or my name it will be the wife that deals with that. 

That's twice you've stayed up country and incognito. Beginning to look like a subversive there Jimmy!

Don't worry, I do exactly the same and probably plenty others with up-country links.

8 hours ago, scotsman said:

I have been living in Pattaya for coming up to 18 years now and I have never done a TM 30 and have never been asked for one. I never heard of this before until this year when my brother had to get one and he told me all about it, then I read the many threads on here about it with so many confusing reports from jomtien. I got all my documents ready with my wife's ID and a copy of the chanote and I posted it to immigration like it says on there main website, I never got a reply or the slip for my passport so I just forgot about it,  I then went to get my 90 day report nothing said got it easy as usual then around the end of May i went for my exit visa as I go back to Scotland once a year and again no problem getting that. I left Thailand at the end of May for 3 weeks and when i arrived home I went to immigration the next day with my wife with all the documents I needed for the TM 30 and the lady checked everything and stamped the form and put it in my passport job done no problems what so ever. I left pattaya to drive up to Phetchabun for a quick holiday to visit the family but I booked the hotel in my wife's name and I never gave them my passport or my name. Next month I go to immigration again for my retirement extension so I hope that all will go as well as before.  I will always do a TM 30 from now on 24 hours after I have returned from Scotland because that is what they want for me it was only 3 weeks so the 30 days some people are saying was not true for me.  When I leave Pattaya to see my family in Phetchabun I will never give my passport to the hotel or my name it will be the wife that deals with that. 

Regards

Scotsman    

That's a pretty obvious answer to the problem if you have a Thai wife. What about those of us that don't. Can I go to BKK and stay in a hotel for 3 nights without having to report when I return?

I am sorry but I don't have a solution for you Tropo if you don't have a Thai partner or friend to help you. The 30 days out of the country information is not correct as I was trying to inform everyone that I was only out of the country for 3 weeks,  Now that some immigration offices are now enforcing this old 1970 sh rule they will not be able to stop it again unless they decide to scrap the rule so I will just have to report to them again every year if I leave the country. I am lucky that I can use my wife for any other visits out of Pattaya and carry on being a canny subversive ha ha.

regards

Scotsman

13 hours ago, tropo said:

That's a pretty obvious answer to the problem if you have a Thai wife. What about those of us that don't. Can I go to BKK and stay in a hotel for 3 nights without having to report when I return?

If that is what you have been doing before and have had subsequent, trouble-free immigration business, then carry on doing the same.

TBH, it looks like a bit of a lottery down Soi 5 and apart from the big posters telling you to do "it" and a big new office to do "it" in, there's just no general consensus that indicates that "it" is anything more than a local cash grab.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, scotsman said:

I am sorry but I don't have a solution for you Tropo if you don't have a Thai partner or friend to help you. The 30 days out of the country information is not correct as I was trying to inform everyone that I was only out of the country for 3 weeks,  Now that some immigration offices are now enforcing this old 1970 sh rule they will not be able to stop it again unless they decide to scrap the rule so I will just have to report to them again every year if I leave the country. I am lucky that I can use my wife for any other visits out of Pattaya and carry on being a canny subversive ha ha.

regards

Scotsman

I'm talking about checking into hotels when I travel. Obviously, I can't have the room booked in a Thai wife's name so I have no choice but to be recorded at another address through the auto TM30 system that hotels use. That was what you were talking about before i.e. that you can travel without a trace. I don't need help at Immigration.

The question is, how long can we travel WITHIN Thailand to other places before needing to report back to Immigration when we return? I'm well aware that no one has answers right now - it's all a mystery.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tropo said:

I have no choice but to be recorded at another address through the auto TM30 system that hotels use.

Didn't I read that the online reporting system for hotels and guesthouses off line at the moment? Something to do with the newly revamped immigration website roll-out?

In the same way that you are responsible for getting an erroneous IO's 'stay until' stamp corrected and will be held liable if you knowingly abuse their error, their systems being unavailable doesn't omit your responsibilities to report. However, if the TM30 system is not available for hotels and guesthouses, your responsibility would then extend to finding the immigration office with jurisdiction over the hotel where you are staying and personally reporting your presence. We don't want to start doing that now do we?

• Like 1

I just came back from a 40 day trip to Europe, went to immigration and asked at the front desk, about reporting. Was told I didnt  need to report. So, what happens next time I go to immigration, and they ask why I didnt report? Im sure no one will admit that they told me I didnt  need to report. Amazing Thailand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fakename said:

I just came back from a 40 day trip to Europe, went to immigration and asked at the front desk, about reporting. Was told I didnt  need to report. So, what happens next time I go to immigration, and they ask why I didnt report? Im sure no one will admit that they told me I didnt  need to report. Amazing Thailand. 

Nevermind what they say there - you'll never get an accurate answer because the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing there.

On 12/08/2017 at 1:57 PM, tropo said:

The question is, how long can we travel WITHIN Thailand to other places before needing to report back to Immigration when we return? I'm well aware that no one has answers right now - it's all a mystery.

A friend asked at a rural immigration office if he had to report after a 4 day trip to Pattaya. He was told "Yes, you must report within 24 hours"

On 7/27/2017 at 5:30 PM, OMGImInPattaya said:

I recently completed an international trip and my 90-day report date fell in my absence. Upon my return, I did a 90-report during my 12th week after return and all was fine. I have done this many times over the years with no issues.

same same, not different.

I've just returned from the UK after 2 months (21st) and went down to Immigration yesterday .

I've lived here in a hotel since the late 90's and never once submitted a TM30.

I went in with the paperwork already prepared and asked the girl in the office what the situation was before I presented it .

The answer was that it was required and once you have submitted a TM30 you don't have to do it again unless of course you change address, however you still need to report to that particular office after being away and submit the usual passport copies.

The receipt was stamped, signed and stapled into my passport.

The girl was friendly and very helpful and everything went okay.

I have read many conflicting reports on this forum regarding whether or not this needs to be done so for me personally I thought it's better safe than sorry.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maechanman said:

The answer was that it was required and once you have submitted a TM30 you don't have to do it again unless of course you change address, however you still need to report to that particular office after being away and submit the usual passport copies.

Clear as mud then :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Today reported to Buriram Immigration office and for the first time told that my wife is liable for a fine as I had no TM30. Heard of this TM30 some time ago but now according to the immigration official, security is being stepped up and we all have to be in possession of this form which should be kept in your passport. According to how it was explained to me then the responsibility lays with the owner of the house, condo, hotel etc. So in my case my wife as she is the legal owner of my house. Hotels do it automatically when you arrive if like me you take the once a year trip to Pattaya. However the owner of the address where you live must either report to immigration or your local police station within 24 hours to notify your return. Apparently the 'Fines' can be quite severe. I got away with 300B (but no receipt). I agree with the security issue and it is therefore important to know where aliens live but if nothing is properly explained when new regulations come in or old regulations are enforced then it does tend to make you pissed off. Surely it would not take much to have big signs/notice boards where one can be updated. Not everyone can use a computer. The immigration official who dealt with me says that he and his team have been given the responsibility of making sure the correct procedures are done in the future. He gave me the impression they are going to be very strict in the future.

Note: Buriram immigration will be moving to behind  the I-Mobile stadium within the next couple of months. Could not get a date but if I did it would not  necessarily be right.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pormax said:

Surely it would not take much to have big signs/notice boards where one can be updated. Not everyone can use a computer. The immigration official who dealt with me says that he and his team have been given the responsibility of making sure the correct procedures are done in the future. He gave me the impression they are going to be very strict in the future.

Why put a sign up in multiple different languages.

making this crystal clear to all,  what ever different circumstances they may have.

It could affect revenue , you know. :giggle:

BTW,   I think it maybe,  has very little to do with security.

and more to do with the tax department a few years down the road.

maybe get ready for a few surprise tax bills for those undisclosed property lets,  this would cover all nationalities here involved in the letting game.   Just a thought  :jap:

Edited by stanleycoin

• 5 weeks later...
On Wednesday, August 09, 2017 at 10:08 PM, NanLaew said:
On Wednesday, August 09, 2017 at 4:29 PM, LongTimeLurker said:

They asked me for a TM30 last time I went to make an extension (IO at Counter 6). Wouldn't entertain it without one.

What sort of extension?

And when was 'last time'?

Thanks.

1 year extension for study.

8 January 2017

I have been living in Pattaya for many years now on a yearly renewed “retirement visa”. 

In March I had to return to my home country due to a very sick family member.

I will be returning to Thailand in a few weeks (visa still valid) and wish to stay in a couple of hotels in Bangkok and Hua Hin before returning to Pattaya again around a week after arriving in Thailand. 

I have taken trips back home in the past and when reporting to Jomtien to do the next 90 day report no one bats an eyelid at me being out of Thailand and not rushing to immigration within 24 hours to report my return.

I never heard of having to do so until I read some of this thread.

So, if I arrive in Bangkok, spend 3 nights in a hotel there followed by a few nights in a hotel in Hua Hin, am I breaking any rules? Presumably the hotel is supposed to report me being there anyway or do they now expect me to rush straight back to Pattaya to report to immigration the next day??

Simon