Keep fit & leisure time for the over 70 s

superal

5 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

While there seems to be more and more robust, scientific discussion on the effectiveness of this method of calculating one's max heart rate, here is the simple formula.

Subtract your age from 220 to get your maximum heart rate.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

thank you.  And once one reaches a particular heart rate maintaining the same effort will maintain the heart rate ?  When running I have the impression that if I increase speed the heart rate increases but if I then maintain this speed the heart rate starts to decrease.  But I have not tried o measure it accurately over the course of a run.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thank you.  And once one reaches a particular heart rate maintaining the same effort will maintain the heart rate ?  When running I have the impression that if I increase speed the heart rate increases but if I then maintain this speed the heart rate starts to decrease.  But I have not tried o measure it accurately over the course of a run.

I would say over time as you tire your heartrate would go up.

The goal is not to hit your max heart rate every time you run. You should shoot for a percentage of that rate, for example, keeping your heart rate at 70% of your max is sufficient for most runs. Perhaps once a week, if you are physically able, mix in some faster, shorter intervals to bring your heart rate up to 80% or so.

16 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

While there seems to be more and more robust, scientific discussion on the effectiveness of this method of calculating one's max heart rate, here is the simple formula.

Subtract your age from 220 to get your maximum heart rate.

If you want to really get into it think about your maximum heart rate reserve. Take your resting heart rate, take your maximum and that's your reserve. So 50 and 180 gives you 130. 90% of that is 117, which (added to your resting) is 167. If your resting was 100 (bad) the same 180 maximum would mean 80 reserve, 90% of that means 90% is 172. 

So, thinking about it, it's a pretty minor difference. What it does, though, is alert you to something, which is that as you get fit you can absolutely wreck yourself trying to reach supposed maximums. At 26 my supposed maximum was 194, but in reality I had a resting pulse under 40 and a real realistic maximum in the high 180s. The one time I hit 194 on a run to failure test I pulled a muscle in my calf and was ill for a week. Fit people will struggle to hit high numbers. All the pain and problems are occurring at the level of the muscles. Your heart is very nearly along for the ride. So if you try to hit high numbers, and your heart is doing a good job, something else (muscle, tendon, ligament) may well pop. 

18 hours ago, thaibook said:

can you please explain the formula.  Is this to determine one's max heart rate?  I am starting to do some running again after some years off, trying both road runs outdoors and on machines in the gym and need more information to decide on an effective programme.   It might help others too.  Thanks 

208 x 0.7 x (your age)  Someone mentioned  the formula of 220 less your age and that works too.  Let's face it, it's only a guide, as each body is different, so an exact figure  using a generic formula is not possible. 

Archived