Thai Red 12

cooked

The SIL was told to buy Thai  Red 12 as one of the cows is skinny.

Upon opening I seem to have paid for a sack of stones and sand. Nobody here seems to be interested in reading the instructions or anything revolutionary like that.

฿580/Sack.

The mother cow showed about as much contempt as I have ever seen a cow show, the calf is eating. I don't meven know if the calf should be eating it.

Any advice please, nothing turning up on the net.

Thanks

Thai red 12.JPG

Go buy another sack from another supplier and see if it's the same. If it's not, then you know the first bag was a scam, if it's the same, keep feeding them.

A whole lot of Thai writing on the bag so reckon your answer is all in there somewhere.

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Go buy another sack from another supplier and see if it's the same. If it's not, then you know the first bag was a scam, if it's the same, keep feeding them.

A whole lot of Thai writing on the bag so reckon your answer is all in there somewhere.

I have two sacks. As I said, the calf is eating it and so, now, are the chickens. Thanks for your help but I want to know how to use this feed, not whether I have been scammed or not. I have two sacks and the contents smell vaguely of rice bran or something.

I tried doing a web search in Thai for  "Thai:Red 12" animal feed. Got nowhere real fast.

Finally did an image search using 'Cattle Feed' written in Thai to try and find the product image. 

Came across a similar image on a Thai Website very similar to the one you posted

http://cowboyfriend.com/feed.html

If you translate to English, it talks about 'their' grazing animal meal food product.

8 minutes ago, RichCor said:

I tried doing a web search in Thai for  "Thai:Red 12" animal feed. Got nowhere real fast.

Finally did an image search using 'Cattle Feed' written in Thai to try and find the product image. 

Came across a similar image on a Thai Website very similar to the one you posted

http://cowboyfriend.com/feed.html

If you translate to English, it talks about 'their' grazing animal meal food product.

Thanks, that looks promising, well Googled! That's an interesting site.

Maybe there will be more comments,

What you have they is a 12% concentrate feed , Known as "A-Han-Per-Som ", in Thai , the big white lumps are cassava ,  they should be  some Palm meal ,co-co nut meal , some ground maize ,and a small amount of soya bean meal ,and molasses .On the bag it is written protein not exceding 12% , there is  list of ingredients  on the bag ,they will be a lot of either , or ,but they will all be they.

As for paying  580 baht /sack that is  F#%*&.....  expensive, I am paying 350 baht for a 14% concentrate , similar to what you have got .around  here  a 16% dairy pelleted concentrate is not that expensive.

Why is the cow not eating it ? because  she has never had it before , a new feed ,we rear a few beef cattle and have brought in  some  beef heifers , that have only been feed on hedge bottom grass , and road verges, we offer them  some of our feed  , and for 2-3 days  they would not eat it ,they come  round in the end ,like your cattle will.

How much to feed , not knowing what else you are feeding ,I would say feed her  about 2-3 kg  a day , and if you  can find some  a bag of  minerals ,they would do her some good , feed  about ,  1 -2 spoons a day , spoon being  a Thai  "Ginn-Khow"  one , mixed with the  feed.

On 7/29/2017 at 9:35 PM, kickstart said:

What you have they is a 12% concentrate feed , Known as "A-Han-Per-Som ", in Thai , the big white lumps are cassava ,  they should be  some Palm meal ,co-co nut meal , some ground maize ,and a small amount of soya bean meal ,and molasses .On the bag it is written protein not exceding 12% , there is  list of ingredients  on the bag ,they will be a lot of either , or ,but they will all be they.

As for paying  580 baht /sack that is  F#%*&.....  expensive, I am paying 350 baht for a 14% concentrate , similar to what you have got .around  here  a 16% dairy pelleted concentrate is not that expensive.

Why is the cow not eating it ? because  she has never had it before , a new feed ,we rear a few beef cattle and have brought in  some  beef heifers , that have only been feed on hedge bottom grass , and road verges, we offer them  some of our feed  , and for 2-3 days  they would not eat it ,they come  round in the end ,like your cattle will.

How much to feed , not knowing what else you are feeding ,I would say feed her  about 2-3 kg  a day , and if you  can find some  a bag of  minerals ,they would do her some good , feed  about ,  1 -2 spoons a day , spoon being  a Thai  "Ginn-Khow"  one , mixed with the  feed.

The 'like' button disappeared.

Thanks, everything becomes clear now. It turns out that we paid ฿580.- for TWO sacks (my interrogation skills aren't what they were), not one, which is why I was worrying a little about dosage. . We mixed in a little water today and it is getting eaten, if it contains molasses I expect she can now smell that. All the cows get rough grass grazing, some do fine on it, some not so well, and this particular cow gets a sack full of cut grass every day, which I look after (I feel like a fugitive cutting verge side grass early in the morning, with a scythe no less).

She is getting her minerals mixed with an egg and salt lick daily.

Hi cooked

280 baht/sack is more like it ,at that price it will not contain any urea ,all the  CP's,and Betagro's, use urea in their  dairy feed . a cheap way   to push up the  protein  in  a  ration , urea is  ok  6 months old plus cattle , but young calves  can not digest  urea  , thay have not developed the enzines  in the  gut to digest urea , my beef calves  are starting  to eat  my concentrate  at about 2 months  old ,that has no urea ,so far no problems

Most  feed mills mix  molasses  to keep the  dust down in the ration, cassava chips  has  a lot of dust ,I have feed a  fed that has no molasses , and some cattle develop a chough, dust   sticks to the back of they throat   ,and as you say  makes the feed  smell nice , more palatable  for them , should be no need to mix water ,once  she gets a taste  of the concentrate  she will eat it  with out any problems .

If she is bit  thin a worm injection might not go a miss, or beter, if you can find them where you are ,"Panacur" worm  tablets , mix them in the feed , or as some farmers  do ,put the tablet in a banana , most cattle have a taste for bananas , I have used them  thay work well.

Nice to see you useing a scythe  I would like one ,but geting it sharp ,I use to sharpen them with an old  round  carborundum stone ,to some  good effect ,as for using an  angle  grinder ,would have thought  the heat  would have  taken  the temper out of the steel, and soon wear the blade down , still good to some one still using one .

Archived