No photos on Walking Street

JohnJay

If you want pics of walking street Google them. People take thousands of pics now and never look at them again. Film was better. You take a few snaps then enjoy your life not try to capture every second of it to show your fake facebook friends who don't even like you. 

If you have a problem with how the girls are dressed then ..... don't go there. Don't push your frigid morals on other people. Millions of people seem to like it and pass through there every year. I don't like strangers taking my picture ether.

I would hate to see what happens when you walk down the beach.........

On 29/07/2017 at 5:16 PM, JohnJay said:

It's more because they're scantily clad, standing in public, on a public road, that we pay taxes to maintain. Inside a bar on their property is something else. It's not as though their bully tactics work - just type in "walking street pattaya" on YouTube.

Do you even pay taxes in Thailand?

If I was there and wanted to take a photo of a girl the first thing I would do is ask her permission. If she says no then that is the end of it.

On 7/29/2017 at 3:16 AM, JohnJay said:

It's more because they're scantily clad, standing in public, on a public road, that we pay taxes to maintain. Inside a bar on their property is something else. It's not as though their bully tactics work - just type in "walking street pattaya" on YouTube.

So you're saying because they're scantily clad, their right (maybe not legal, but certainly one of basic human decency and politeness) to not have their photo taken by some <deleted> who didn't ask permission first is somehow compromised?  Are you saying they're...."asking for it?"  Dangerous line of reasoning you're pursuing there, pumpkin.

You shouldn't be taking anyone's photo without first obtaining their permission.  The fact that they're standing on the street, regardless of their choice of clothing, is none of your <deleted> business and shouldn't enter into the equation at all.

Edited by Chou Anou

The girls and the bars have most likely had enough of all the cheap b@$tards who just want to take photos of the girls in bikinis (what pleasure you derive this who knows) without spending a single baht in the establishment or on the girls. Maybe try going in and having a beer then on the way out ASK the girls if you can take a photo.

8 hours ago, gforsi said:

Regard the legal aspects:

You do indeed have the right to take a photo of the street, if it was empty. But thats about it.

You do not have the right to images of individuals, if they deny it.

They have the so called "Informational self-determination" or "right of privacy" or whatever you want to call it.

I guess there is something similar in Thailand.

Whereabouts do you come from? (<< genuine question not trying to be a smartarse or anything.)

In most countries it is perfectly legal to take photographs in public places; an individual has no right over their image. If this wasn't the case newspapers etc. would be back to solely the written word.

Why do you think you have a right to take other people's pictures without their permission?

They have no right to fine you 5000 baht so don't worry about that, but hey, their security might intimidate you into paying up.

This issue has been around for a while, some premises are OTT about pictures being taken.

Here is a suggestion, if you don't want aggravation from 4 foot security guards, don't take pictures. At least do it from a bit of a distance and discreetly. Reality is there are hundreds of Chinese recording video as they walk down the street, but YOU pointing professional looking camera equipment at them will get their attention. There has been a lot of bad press, with pictures, over the years which makes a lot of problems for these businesses.

over the years I always hated the way some vendors shine their lasers on the ground in front of you.  Some are bright enough that my eyes detect the motion and I look down and it is distracting and potentially dangerous.  Typically this was in front of the garden mall on beach road

Half-naked girls in Thailand? Naahhh, you must have been elsewhere. How can you take photos and possibly get fined (or knocked-up) for something which does not exist? 

None of my business, but why do you enjoy taking pictures of such people in the first place? Have a drink instead and enjoy the company - me thinks! 

8 hours ago, Salerno said:

Whereabouts do you come from? (<< genuine question not trying to be a smartarse or anything.)

In most countries it is perfectly legal to take photographs in public places; an individual has no right over their image. If this wasn't the case newspapers etc. would be back to solely the written word.

As you said yourself: "photos of public places", which implicitly indicates a lot of people. I never argued on that.

The case here is about taking pictures of individuals (one or a few girls), which is not considered a public place.

If you take a straight down shot of walking street, not directly aiming at the girls, there is nothing to argue about that and I am with you and consider that a public place.

8 hours ago, Salerno said:

As you said yourself: "photos of public places", which implicitly indicates a lot of people. I never argued on that.

The case here is about taking pictures of individuals (one or a few girls), which is not considered a public place.

If you take a straight down shot of walking street, not directly aiming at the girls, there is nothing to argue about that and I am with you and consider that a public place.

Tourists have been taking photos on Walking Street since the 1970s, before there was a Walking Street.

Laser sales/use were also popular on Walking Street for awhile, then went away for some reason.

Just another opportunistic scam by the younger generation of Thai street mafia.

Thai mentality: Farangs have too much money, they can afford it.

I don't like being in other people's  videos. I put my hand in front of my face.

The girls are doing a dangerous job as in theory the cops could arrest them for their attire. And their family could find out what they are doing. Even though they might be doing their job in order to support their parents it would be a bad thing. It seems that being sensitive to other's situation is something you have no interest in. I ask permission before taking the photo of another.

If people walked up to you and took your photo because they thought you looked strange or deformed it would obviously not bother you. Or if they wanted to show your actions to the police it would not bother you because you were in public. Or if you were beat up and people wanted to show their friends.There is common courtesy which I guess is not so common with some people. You are obviously morally superior.

Have fun!

"Here's a crazy idea: If you don't want to be photographed, maybe don't stand in the busiest street in Pattaya half naked all night."

Here's an even crazier idea:  If you don't want to be lasered, maybe don't be taking pictures of people who've TOLD you they don't want to be photographed.   All the whining & screaming about your "rights" aside, it isn't YOUR country, it isn't YOUR street, and the locals don't want their picture taken there.  That may not quite suit you as Joe Tourist, but it's NOT unreasonable, and your insistence on doing it despite their wishes IS extremely rude and escalates the situation.  So - duh - don't do it!  It isn't going to kill you to comply with a reasonable request.  If the very idea of such a prohibition is a problem for you, then don't go there!

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/08/2017 at 3:25 PM, gforsi said:

Actually I said "in public places" not "of public places". If the girl is in a public place (which I have no idea if Walking Street is or not, I assume it is) then she has no legal recourse under most western law - as I said, no idea what the law is in Thailand on that score. 

My personal opinion; unless a landscape type pic/video the camera should be shoved up the photographer's arse ... was just debating the legalities.

Finally. It was time to do thieves and (milionare)parasites such as bangkok112  and 1000+ more "vlogers" 

In Europe, YOU can not give people from street to  Vblog if they disagree with that, after complain to you-like vloger. Thai laws are still very soft compared to german/eu.

Just for exmpl: in GB  have most street cameras in the world .. soo who is spyware nation.? sweden have total ban on drones,very dif. do it legally. ... And I know  to find web links to show you (and my life experiences), where the laws are  hardest than in thailand. 

Really first look into your own country and then criticize thailand ....