Children’s dance troupe fined after complaints

webfact

Children’s dance troupe fined after complaints

By The Nation

7a0d7516a8a81579e663857760f7a1ff.jpg

Police detained a lion-dance troupe in Chon Buri province on Sunday for performing without permission.

Pol Lt-Colonel Wuttinan Namsaeng, an inspector at the Samet Police Station, said he took action against the troupe after local residents complained about the loud fundraising performance. 

The troupe has six members, including three children. 

“We have come from Bangkok in the hope of generating income. Children now have a day off. When they go back to school, they will then have some pocket money,” said the troupe’s leader, Niran Intim.

He was fined Bt200. 

Wuttinan said the troupe was fined for staging a fundraising activity without permission.

“If you want to stage such a performance, you have to contact local officials for permission first,” he said. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30322262

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-31

Just now, Somtamnication said:

Pathetic. Don't know  who to be angry at: the parents for making the kids dance or the govt. for going over the top with ridiculous fines. :post-4641-1156693976:

This is a Chinese thing. They go from shop to shop and ask for money to scare away bad spirits by making lots of noise. They are working and indeed need a permit.

I think posters misunderstand what the problem is here. This is very aggressive begging. These groups use loud banging (cymbals often) and in your face moves to pester stallholders and other commercial businesses for cash. When they get cash they go away. If not they don't. The goal is to disrupt the business to force the business to pay up all under the guise of a charitable donation to kids.

Just now, Briggsy said:

I think posters misunderstand what the problem is here. This is very aggressive begging. These groups use loud banging (cymbals often) and in your face moves to pester stallholders and other commercial businesses for cash. When they get cash they go away. If not they don't. The goal is to disrupt the business to force the business to pay up all under the guise of a charitable donation to kids.

That seem bit misleading. Normally a lion dance troupe will ask the stall owners or dwellings for authorisation and acknowledgement before they perform. The loud banging is customary and the purpose is to drive out any ill omen and spirits. Sometime firecrackers are being use for the same purpose. I am sure the boys not acting on their own as the gears for the lion dance are very expensive. They likely to represent a cultural club (hua kwang). A lot of information is missing from this news and my opinion is that the police over react. After all, this kind of dance is only carried out during special religious dates and not all year round. Give the kids a break.  

Perhaps the police "over-reacted" as they were called by a business or businesses that were being pestered for cash and disrupted by an uninvited lion-dance troupe from Bangkok, 70 km away, on a "fundraising" tour.

Crackdown on Charity 

Should gone out nicked a  car, done some Yeh ba, got pissed up and killed 3 people in a crash and the Police would have done nothing

Edited by Dave67

6 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

That seem bit misleading. Normally a lion dance troupe will ask the stall owners or dwellings for authorisation and acknowledgement before they perform. The loud banging is customary and the purpose is to drive out any ill omen and spirits. Sometime firecrackers are being use for the same purpose. I am sure the boys not acting on their own as the gears for the lion dance are very expensive. They likely to represent a cultural club (hua kwang). A lot of information is missing from this news and my opinion is that the police over react. After all, this kind of dance is only carried out during special religious dates and not all year round. Give the kids a break.  

Exactly.

Good reply to nonsense.

Things like this are part of life in East Asia.

These clueless misfits try to impose their values wherever they go.

8 hours ago, Briggsy said:

8 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

7 hours ago, JingerBen said:

Exactly.

Good reply to nonsense.

Things like this are part of life in East Asia.

These clueless misfits try to impose their values wherever they go.

JingerBen............your comment is nonsense Briggsy is spot on,here in Pattaya the behaviour he describes is 100% accurate,fortunately the police here are wise to them and they get quickly rounded up and moved on..............maybe in YOUR location it is different....here they are just parasites,nothing to do with religion/tradition just another scam :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, petermik said:

JingerBen............your comment is nonsense Briggsy is spot on,here in Pattaya the behaviour he describes is 100% accurate,fortunately the police here are wise to them and they get quickly rounded up and moved on..............maybe in YOUR location it is different....here they are just parasites,nothing to do with religion/tradition just another scam :thumbsup:

OK, Pattaya is a special case... Sleaze by the Sea.

But almost everywhere else, lion dances are a part of the traditional scene.

2 minutes ago, JingerBen said:

OK, Pattaya is a special case... Sleaze by the Sea.

But almost everywhere else, lion dances are a part of the traditional scene.

There is a lion-dance troupe spectrum.

At one end of the spectrum, you will have a long-established lion-dance troupe under the authority of a local Chinese cultural centre which itself is inexorably linked to the local Sino-Thai business community.

At the other end of the spectrum, you will have begging 'lion-dance troupe' gangs under a gangmaster. Many of the dancers are poor ethnic Thai children with no cultural links to China at all that were simply recruited into it as a way to make money. These troupes will travel around the region. They will hit a commercial area, get some cash and then move on to the next area. This activity has zero cultural relevance and is just another twist on the career of a professional beggar.

Which end of the spectrum might this lot in Chonburi, but from Bangkok, belong to, I wonder?

14 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

See them/hear them on a regular basis.

Not sure where you stay but in Yowarat where there are many Thai Chinese businesses, they are often invited for the special occasion like on the opening day and you get to see them quite often. Elsewhere in Bangkok, I rarely see them, Perhaps in Pattaya where there are many new shops catering to the Chinese tourists, they invite the lion dance performance or it will be bad luck. 

'' local residents complained about the loud fundraising performance ''   ....... I wonder if these same 'local residents' take time to complain to the police  about the brain-dead gofers roaring around the streets with hollowed out exhaust systems . ..... or the similar noise from the mirror festooned lorries with their dustbin sized exhausts !!!

6 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Thailand is turning into a police state.

From What? A compassionate democracy with election results that are honored,? That treats each citizen fairly and equally,  regardless of social status? A state where police are honest and are not influenced by monetary rewards? 

7 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Pathetic. Don't know  who to be angry at: the parents for making the kids dance or the govt. for going over the top with ridiculous fines. :post-4641-1156693976:

Where does it say that the parents made the kids dance?

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Not sure where you stay but in Yowarat where there are many Thai Chinese businesses, they are often invited for the special occasion like on the opening day and you get to see them quite often. Elsewhere in Bangkok, I rarely see them, Perhaps in Pattaya where there are many new shops catering to the Chinese tourists, they invite the lion dance performance or it will be bad luck. 

8 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

How about the local police for not using their common sense?