Yellow book runaround - I've given up !

47 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Obviously the rules change from one area to another, but in general, is it compulsory to have a 1 year retirement visa to obtain a yellow book,

or will a 90 day "O" non immigrant, retirement  visa be enough?

Under the Act there is no guidance on the documents required, so each Province draws up it's own set of conditions.

However when they say 'you must be married' or a 'home owner' then you know they haven't got a clue of their own Civil Registration Act and are just blowing wind through their rectum to pass the time of day.

• Like 1

In Nonthaburi and then Bangkok never had any issues getting my yellow book. All they wanted was a copy of my passport and ownership. Had to bring along originals to show. If I recall there was no fee.

Try offering some tea money.

Bloody hell, decree nisi, that's well out of order, you know sometimes it's better say nothing, even at the British Embassy if you tell them you've never been married, they don't check via the UK before they issue the Affirmation to Marry Certificate.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, I didn't know that he was gonna ask about whether id been married or not, if I'd have known I'd have asked the gf to say " no, never " . He would have had to think up another stumbling block then !!

I can feel your frustration. In Pattaya I used my Thai marriage docs as they contained an MFA translation of my name (saved me getting passport translation), but nothing to do with being married as a requirement for yellow book. Maybe the guy at the ampher is confused in that regard.

I don't think he's confused, I think he knows exactly what he's doing !!
I did my bit, i produced the requested docs ( translated, certified etc ), dressed smartly, smiled in all the right places ( I think ), never showed frustration at not understanding the interview etc.
I think he's one of those officials who has a high opinion of himself and his position.
  • Like 1

Obviously the rules change from one area to another, but in general, is it compulsory to have a 1 year retirement visa to obtain a yellow book,

or will a 90 day "O" non immigrant, retirement  visa be enough?

I've had a non imm B, a 90 day TV and am now on a non imm O-A ( 1 year " retirement " ) so I can't really see that being the issue.

I think the main problem is, as you said, the rules change from one area to another, and the lack of understanding of these rules forces them to make sh1t up as they go along !

Bonus of living in the Boondocks;

Yellow house book, 5 days, very little paperwork req'd, cost inc a drink for the office lady 600 baht. Poo Yai Ban another 500. Total 1100 baht.

Pink ID, in and out in an hour, total cost, 60 baht.

Same Ampur office.

3 minutes ago, n210mp said:

I have yellow book and pink id card
A complete waste of time and not worth a light
As you will find out when you try to use.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Dont you find it an advantage no longer needing to get Resident Certificates from immigration, renew license, sell a car etc ?

When I got mine it was easy it only took a couple of hours and then had to go back to pick it up, and while I was doing that, they noticed that there was an error on my daughters Thai Birth Certificate so they made all the changes at the same time. I went to the Amphur in Bangkok (Thonglor).  I didn't have to get anything translated just show them my Passport.

Thai immigration offices and Amphurs are consistent with their inconsistency !!
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yeah, as monomial suggests, I would have to get a certified copy of the Decree Nisi from the Brazilian Embassy, then translated to English and certified ( not sure by who, embassies don't do translation and not sure if MFA can do anything other than English or Thai ? ), then translated to Thai and certified blah blah blah emoji20.png

Surely there must be other TV members with Decree Nisi's in languages other than English who had translated ??

A bit of detective work is required me thinks !!

I haven't read all the posts so forgive me if this has been covered.

To marry no translation to Thai is necessary of the actual divorce cert, though your embassy may insist on seeing the original.

You just have your affidavit that you are free to marry and certified by your embassy.

Then this is translated to Thai and certified by the MFA.

Just a thought, could your embassy provide you with a freedom to marry?

There would of course be a cost, and yes, it would need to be translated to Thai and certified at the MFA.

But, it's all routine and well known and, who knows, it might remove one of his objections if he thought you were going to marry?

Could be dangerous if your g/f finds out though......

So, on second thoughts.... perhaps not?    LOL.....

5 minutes ago, r136dg said:

I thought I'd be able to do the immigration change of address with the yellow book. Nope, only the person in the blue book can.

Most westerners who own a condo have a blank blue book as no Thais officially live at the condo. I am the house master in my yellow book as its my condo, 

Some of the immigration offices have some strange rules.

I thought I had to go through hoops, but was relatively plain sailing compared to your effort. Fortunately, I bought a condo and I had to go to Pattaya City Hall for mine. Took two months in all plus THB 1000 to speed up the process. My first witness (from Juristic Office) was refused as they hadn't known me long enough! In the end the guy from the estate agent, who sold me the condo was accepted. Not sure I would bother again.

Well what has been suggested to me by Tesebaan to get Yellow book would no doubt cost 20,000, so one would wonder how many 500 bht CoR one could pay for as to the need for a Yellow Book

Even though I have just had to pay for 4

Will only need them for car & License renewal hopefully 

8 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Is he being unreasonable ?

Am I giving up too easily ?

Problem is the cost of translation and certification etc will be high and I feel that he may just invent another hurdle afterwards

in my opinion, having just got mine in my new address but denied in my old one, weighing all the weak positives on having one, and reading your local amphoe experience, i would forget it if i were you;  there are people here that prey on other people and farang are considered aroy (ripe and delicious)

• Like 1

Yes, I guess right now I'm 50/50 , get my Decree posted over and look at translation costs etc or say " fork it ", I'll just get a residence certificate from immigration as and when required.

The thing that riles is that dealing with Amphur's (or Immigration) is pot luck, if the rules were there in black and white and, more importantly, the offices adhered to them then making the decision to go for the yellow book would be simple.

I totally agree with this view.

I have often stated the same when asked by immigration or others.

Things don't need to be unclear, 

and would be most appreciated if they were posted for all to see, 

without and additions, or exceptions; throughout all locations, 

as this is the only way foreigners can be expected to abide by the law.

Fellow foreigners won't have the issue that others are somehow trying to maneuver the system, 

look for loopholes or as it sometimes stated, act as if they are above the law.

When really it's more like trying to understand the law,

and the procedures that should be expected, 

before seeking to take the task desired, head on...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

Bonus of living in the Boondocks;

Yellow house book, 5 days, very little paperwork req'd, cost inc a drink for the office lady 600 baht. Poo Yai Ban another 500. Total 1100 baht.

Pink ID, in and out in an hour, total cost, 60 baht.

Same Ampur office.

You got ripped.

410 baht Inc fees and payment to headman

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Basically it's not unusual (standard req.) to supply Thai translation of passport and birth certificate as the translated names/nationalities are needed for the YB.

It's just the case that some district offices (like mine) are happy with a simple translation from a certified translator.

No embassy or MFA involved.

And I was lucky that Swiss documents are multilingual incl. English.

English to Thai translator is easy to find.

So yes, you are quite unlucky with your office and circumstances.

There is no such thing as a certified translator in Thailand, i.e there is no certifying body. 

My yellow book was done in 30 minutes. They probably got my name in Thai from the Marriage cert or something else. 

If you really want a yellow book, go to another province and get one on a Thai friends address.

1 hour ago, BEVUP said:

Well what has been suggested to me by Tesebaan to get Yellow book would no doubt cost 20,000, so one would wonder how many 500 bht CoR one could pay for as to the need for a Yellow Book

Even though I have just had to pay for 4

Will only need them for car & License renewal hopefully 

I got a new car the other month and a new licence a year ago. Just showed my work permit.

Or you could go to immigration and get a letter of residence, which is free.

Unless you are going for Thai citizenship or Permanent Residency, IMHO it is useless. Ok, the pink ID card gets me on internal flights but that's no biggie, as my driver's license could do the same.

I do remember that Tanoshi and that was on my mind when I came out of the " interview " but I thought they were just going to make me sweat ( and show their power over me ) for two weeks and then give me the book ( I know call me Mr Naive emoji51.png).

Now , your suggestion is a valid option although I did read a thread recently where UbonJoe and yourself were discussing this exact topic and I don't remember the outcome or UbonJoe's exact opinion on this.

I will not deal with all the technical issues but I had similar problems and I live in the North in Chiang Mai province

after 6 months of being stuffed around we presented all of the documents plus a brown envelope containing two thousand baht

Praise the Lord it all got fixed  plus the ID card and we got VIP service on registering our new born baby born outside their area

And I am not religious 

Yes it goes against the grain to have to do this but we are in Thailand and for me it's a small price to pay

Good luck

7 hours ago, Preacher said:

The requirements are listed in the regulations regarding the yellow book. They can ask for extra documents, but on request must state the extra required documents and the reason they want them in writing and signed by the chief district officer, the neigh amphur. The document can be challenged in court. They really do not have much more power than you allow them.

Often they ask for extra documents because they can't read English and are afraid to translate things themselves. So they want docuemtns so they cna blame somebody else for mistakes. Provide them with some translations you have and they will not go so far as having to issue a letter and possibly being challenged on that, by the chief district officer itself in the first place.

Quite right. One reason to learn to speak Thai. Christ, if the guy at the amphur had said anything about me using drugs etc, he's have a got a serious lecture. 

6 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

There is no such thing as a certified translator in Thailand, i.e there is no certifying body. 

My yellow book was done in 30 minutes. They probably got my name in Thai from the Marriage cert or something else. 

If you really want a yellow book, go to another province and get one on a Thai friends address.

Sorry but you are wrong there are certain persons and authorized entities who can undertake translations 

My Lawyer who is a Barrister is one of those persons

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StevieAus said:

Sorry but you are wrong there are certain persons and authorized entities who can undertake translations 

My Lawyer who is a Barrister is one of those persons

No, I am a translator, you are wrong. You can translate by yourself, no need for any stamp. If required, submit to Ministry if Foreign Affairs and they will verify for you.

I have translated many documents myself and just signed it and put my address and phone number.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

No, I am a translator, you are wrong. You can translate by yourself, no need for any stamp. If required, submit to Ministry if Foreign Affairs and they will verify for you.

I have translated many documents myself and just signed it and put my address and phone number.

Sorry, but I concur with StevieAus.

You may do translations, but in certain circumstances the requirements are for a fully qualified translators who must supply their registration number along with contact details.

Your translations certainly wouldn't be accepted for Thai documents translated to English for the purpose of Visa applications, because your not registered.

• Like 1

Just now, Tanoshi said:

Sorry, but I concur with StevieAus.

You may do translations, but in certain circumstances the requirements are for a fully qualified translators who must supply their registration number along with contact details.

Your translations certainly wouldn't be accepted for Thai documents translated to English for the purpose of Visa applications, because your not registered.

Well, believe that if you want. I repeat, there is no such thing as a qualified translator.

This lady is registered and has a licence number.

This was a Tabien Baan she translated to English for a UK Visa application.

She is registered with all foreign Embassies and Thailand Government departments.

Translation TB 1. Edited..jpg

Edited by Tanoshi