Mangmoom Card - is it ever going to happen?

Argus Tuft

Weeelllll, sort of, at least theoretically it's the Low Income incarnation of Mangmoom.

But ...

Sorry, but Thailand's libel and defamation laws prevent me from revealing my true opinion (I had zero to do with the BMTA job).

Let's just say someone "forgot" to read the Mangmoom requirements spec.

I'm no expert for card readers but how can they be not compatible? Even if I swipe my condo access card, Rabbit or MRT card on another reader at least it recognises there is a card

2 minutes ago, CLW said:

I'm no expert for card readers but how can they be not compatible? Even if I swipe my condo access card, Rabbit or MRT card on another reader at least it recognises there is a card

Indeed. You can read the card UID (unique identifier) but you can do that with your NFC enabled phone, there's another 99.9% of the transaction to think about.

Have a look at the spec for NXP MiFare DesFire EV1 https://www.nxp.com/products/identification-and-security/mifare-ics/mifare-desfire/mifare-desfire-ev1-contactless-multi-application-ic:MIFARE_DESFIRE_EV1_4K

and that's before we consider key-diversification and other security related stuff.

Despite what one reads on the net these things really are pretty secure.

• Like 1

Indeed. You can read the card UID (unique identifier) but you can do that with your NFC enabled phone, there's another 99.9% of the transaction to think about.

Have a look at the spec for NXP MiFare DesFire EV1 https://www.nxp.com/products/identification-and-security/mifare-ics/mifare-desfire/mifare-desfire-ev1-contactless-multi-application-ic:MIFARE_DESFIRE_EV1_4K

and that's before we consider key-diversification and other security related stuff.

Despite what one reads on the net these things really are pretty secure.

I see. So there is also no international standard I guess

16 minutes ago, CLW said:

I see. So there is also no international standard I guess

For transit cards, no not really, there are a few attempts but none really caught on outside their local area (Google CePass, CiPurse and a few others).

The only truly global standard is the contactless EMV (Europay, Mastercard, Visa) standard which means your Paywave / Paypass enabled credit card will work anywhere in the known universe. Which is of course why it's the target of all the hacking attempts although it's no real surprise that the cities with compromised MiFare Classic (a 1995 vintage standard) transit cards happen to have science based universities.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, CLW said:

I read in the news that the recently installed card readers on the Bmta busses are not working / have some problems so they stopped further installations.
Is this true?

Yup, basically the kit supplied by the Korean contractor doesn't, er, work. Not helped by lack of staff training in the "quirks" of the equipment. The issues are to do with the fare-box (cash) part of the system rather than the card reader (but that has problems of its own).

Not a job I'm involved in, but I understand that the problems are mostly software related and can be fixed. Pressured into service without adequate testing with the inevitable result.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Seems the Mangmoom card will be on sale next week (23rd June) for use on the MRT Blue and Purple lines, and the (some?) Public BMTA buses straight away
Airport Link (ARL) to be available from October.  No mention of BTS

The card will be available in limited numbers at all Purple Line stations. Buyers have to show their ID during the purchase. The minimum cost will be 150 baht - 100 of it for fares and 50 for the card

5 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

Seems the Mangmoom card will be on sale next week (23rd June) for use on the MRT Blue and Purple lines, and the (some?) Public BMTA buses straight away
Airport Link (ARL) to be available from October.  No mention of BTS

Interesting.

Do you have a link to the source?

• Thanks 1

Correct fishbrando - was a BP article.  Sorry Crossy should have mentioned that (without linking of course!)

Look forward to hearing any further news about this.  I'll be back in Bangkok next 10 days so will try to buy the new Spider card and see for myself

On 6/16/2018 at 12:35 AM, Argus Tuft said:

Buyers have to show their ID during the purchase

Wonder if this means for Thais only?  Can't find any info on this.  Would hope that this means foreigners as well, showing passports perhaps.
Let's see

8 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

Wonder if this means for Thais only?  Can't find any info on this.  Would hope that this means foreigners as well, showing passports perhaps.

You should be able to get one with your passport. The ID requirement is a government directive, the original draft of the law required ID to top-up too, luckily that was dropped.

This is for your information. This morning I tried to get a mangmoom card at Tao Phoon Station, but unfortunately failed. Any of documents below did not work at all. The employee at the ticket counter just said to me as an explanation, “Sorry, Thai only.”

Passport (one of OECD countries)
Work permit
Thai driving license
Thai tax id card
Thai social security card
If this will be the norm, it's simply ridiculous.
You should have asked for the supervisor.
Most staff have a very small range of responsibility.

>You should have asked for the supervisor.

You had better try Tao Phoon or other purple line station by yourself.

This is Thailand where things don’t go logical and it’s quite normal.

I’m just a train mania as described in my HN, I’m not interested very much in the reason why my request for mangmoom card was rejected.

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

A card with "Mangmoom" printed on the outside is available, apparently only for Thais.

Whether this is an actual Mangmoom card is debatable.

Was wondering this myself Crossy.  Is it possible these early issue Mangmoom's are the low-income ones which I saw info about on previous posts last year?

Second thought - this may also just be early teething problems for the rollout, if indeed they are a proper card

Hence my earlier post about whether foreigners could get them, as the BP article only mentioned a Thai ID card

Look forward to hearing more anecdotal evidence from posters in Bangkok

• Like 1

There's a news update on this this morning, not much new, and nothing particularly good, as usual:

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mangmoon-card-holders-still-cannot-access-bts-train-service/

The ThaiPBS report says the card will be useable on "many city buses" come October... I'll believe that when I see it...

Meanwhile, a rather entertaining account of the interactions between MRTA and BTS on this:

An MOU on cooperation of ticketing systems between BTS and the MRTA was signed in October last year, but inexplicable delay in the connection of the two systems has prompted the BTS to develop its own e-money service called Rabbit, which is a common ticketing platform between BTS and any participating mass transit systems while extending its usage into retail, service and tourism sectors.

Earlier, MRTA tried to persuade BTS to switch its Rabbit cards to Mangmoon cards so that there will be one common ticketing system, but the matter remains inconclusive.

I'm not sure about the description in the first pgh quoted above. The BTS at this point has had their Rabbit cards for quite a long time, certainly well before the MOU that the article says was signed last October. And as for "any participating mass transit systems" other than BTS for their Rabbit card, are there any others that accept it for travel?

On 6/24/2018 at 11:09 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And as for "any participating mass transit systems" other than BTS for their Rabbit card, are there any others that accept it for travel?

Yes. Rabbit card works on BRT buses.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's ONE bus line, that I believe, is contract operated by the BTS...  Just sayin....

It also works on the airport buses in Chiang Mai and Phuket, apparently.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It also works on the airport buses in Chiang Mai and Phuket, apparently.

Never heard that, Crossy. Do you have a source for that?

It seems odd a BTS run card program that doesn't work on airport buses in BKK would somehow work for airport buses in CM and Phuket where, AFAIK, the BTS has absolutely no presence or involvement.

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Never heard that, Crossy. Do you have a source for that?

Both are mentioned in forum posts by the news team, if the forum search worked properly I would find them.

By the way, Rabbit is operated by a company called BSS not BTS although BTS was heavily involved in its inception.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's ONE bus line, that I believe, is contract operated by the BTS...  Just sayin....

It's more than a bus line, it's a "mass transit system" with dedicated stations, ticketing offices, and purpose-built vehicles.

4 minutes ago, YT3k72Em said:

It's more than a bus line, it's a "mass transit system" with dedicated stations, ticketing offices, and purpose-built vehicles.

For ONE line and ONE route.

BRT originally was supposed to be a network of similar, lane separated HOV bus routes. One was actually built and put into service. All the others were abandoned in the planning stages, and the BMA came very close to actually abandoning the ONE BRT line this past year before finally deciding to continue supporting it for the time being with a fare increase.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

BMA came very close to actually abandoning the ONE BRT line this past year

It was a bit more than a year back, but it came within a week of closing down.

The BRT, like some chunks of the BTS is actually operated on behalf of the BMA by an outfit called KT.

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It was a bit more than a year back, but it came within a week of closing down.

The BRT, like some chunks of the BTS is actually operated on behalf of the BMA by an outfit called KT.

Crossy, I thought the current staff manning the BRT route are all BTS employees.. unless you mean it's BMA funded to KT which is then contracting to BTS....

Back during the closure discussions, I remember talking to those involved, and it was all BTS officials responding to the process that was going on within BMA.

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For ONE line and ONE route.

BRT originally was supposed to be a network of similar, lane separated HOV bus routes. One was actually built and put into service. All the others were abandoned in the planning stages, and the BMA came very close to actually abandoning the ONE BRT line this past year before finally deciding to continue supporting it for the time being with a fare increase.

I don't see the point.  The underground was only one line and one route for the first decade of it's life. 

The rabbit card works on 2 different systems, 3 lines, the equivalent MRT plus or Mangmoom card works on 1 system, 2 lines.