Kasikorn customer furious that the bank took his money but it didn't enter his account

webfact

Kasikorn customer furious that the bank took his money but it didn't enter his account

4.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A long time customer is furious with Kasikorn bank after depositing cash at an ATM that did not go into his account.

The bank have said he made the deposit after midnight so it didn't enter his account.

Kamol Chairojratana was mulling over whether to report the matter to police.

Kamol - otherwise known as "Hia Khee" - said he went to deposit 15,000 in cash at the ATM at 12.19 am. But after he checked using his ATM card he found that the money he had given the bank was not in his account.

He said he immediately phoned the call center who told him that he would need to wait until 2am the next day, he claimed.

"I told them I need to use that money to pay a check. They just said 'that is our system, you'll just have to wait and find some other money to pay the check'.

"So in the morning I went to the branch to speak with them directly. They called the call center who gave them the same information.

"I have been with this bank for decades. It's disgraceful and I might have to report it to the police," he told Daily News Online.

"It has cost me. The money is not in my account. The check will bounce", he added.

Daily News contacted the ATM division of Kasikorn who confirmed the story saying that funds should be deposited from 5am to midnight otherwise they would not necessarily be entered into the system.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-02

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Daily News contacted the ATM division of Kasikorn who confirmed the story saying that funds should be deposited from 5am to midnight otherwise they would not necessarily be entered into the system.

There should be a preamble to this statement saying ---- "until the next day."

The receipt clearly says "Transaction Declined" and to contact the branch, which he did. I don't think he has lost the funds, just got the "woops" because he lost a day.

Australian banks do that all the time with inter bank transfers not initiated before the end of the working day. EST

Edited by bdenner
Clarification

1 hour ago, wakeupplease said:

just about every bank in the world has a delay when you pay in money, most people know that, pay a cheque in and its up to 3 days so he was covered.

The banks I use are much better than the ones you know. When I deposit cash it is credited instantly. There is no delay.

how do get angry with a bank? a retail bank? 

especially a Thai retail bank?

and what difference does it make that you liked the green motifed ones instead the blue motifed ones or whatever for X number of years?

their function is so very very simple, they have employees, lots of rules, cameras... and they make money. literally create money. that's it.

but... angry with yourself or someone else, yeah? but a bank?

Edited by maewang99

3 minutes ago, DGS1244 said:

"His cheque would bounce"  since when has Kasikorn been issuing cheques for deposit accounts. Suggest you learn how to manage your finances a bit better.

he meant "make a bet' not "pay a check"

5 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

just about every bank in the world has a delay when you pay in money, most people know that, pay a cheque in and its up to 3 days so he was covered.

I disagree. These are different things.

When you deposit a check, the amount is credited to your account immediately, but a hold is placed on the funds so that it can not be withdrawn until the check clears.  Depositing cash never generates a hold. In both cases though, the deposit is immediate.

The man has a valid point. When you deposit funds (note: not transfer...deposit) they need to go into the account immediately. Between the hours of 12:00 - 02:00, they do not. The correct function of the machine should be to simply stop functioning between the hours when a deposit can not be made. Then, it is very clear. You can not deposit money now. Taking the money and then saying "transaction declined" and contact the bank is not a customer friendly thing to do and could very well be considered stealing by a customer who needed those funds immediately. 

The cash deposit machines should be disabled or display a clear warning when the deposit is going to be delayed due to system maintenance.  I congratulate the man for saying something publicly about this. I had no idea this is what they did, and I will remember it now if I need to deposit money in the future. I shouldn't have to learn about it through social media though. The bank should explain this clearly BEFORE taking your money.

Despite most of the comments here, I sympathise with the customer. As I reiterated once before on ThaiVisa, I transferred money from abroad to the Kasikorn Bank for my immigration requirements some time ago. I was out of the country, and when I came back 3 months later, there was NO money in my account. I had to see the manager at which time my money miraculously appeared.  How could that ever happen, but it did.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

In that case why can't Kasikorn tweak their CDM's to reject attempts to feed cash into them between midnight and 5AM?

7 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Must be an American bank. Only American banks are THAT dysfunctional. Banks elsewhere operating just as dysfunctionally are copycats of American banks.

The man has a valid point. I've used the deposit machines lots of times, and money is always available in the account with no delay. This is the way many people in Thailand handle their financial affairs, and anything off standard should result in a clear warning from the ATM/CDM.

1 hour ago, inThailand said:

What was your balance 50 satang? You needed one deposit to be able to take out some beer money?

Not sure how to answer you on this. If sarcasm not very goid and if not did you understand the post?