6 months here 6 months Spain.

overherebc

On 03/08/2017 at 4:30 PM, 7by7 said:

I assume that 'here' is Thailand and one of you is Thai.

What is the other's nationality?

You mention 'post Brexit' so maybe British?

If so, then I wouldn't make any firm plans until we know exactly what the situation regarding British nationals' entry and residency rights in EU countries will be after Brexit.

Should have replied to you earlier.

I'm from UK and SWMBO is Thai.

41 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Can I take the liberty of reminding members that this is a visa and migration forum, not a travel forum.

If members could restrict their post to giving advice regarding the visa processes, that would be great.

Thank you

Agree. I did say that Mods could move.

??

Problem is that there are so many (sub) fora.

I guess that most posters - just like me - look at the "view new content" page, and react without knowing in which sub forum they are.

555 I just realise that I should post this comment on the help desk sub forum....(or whatever it is called).

Sounds like a dream, spending 6 month here and 6 month in EU but okay I am still working so not an option right now but hopefully later.

However it has been really hot in Spain lately, +40 deg.C which is just too much and no rain, Portugal too, to some extent.

Looks like the weather is freaking out, in my native Denmark they had a real shitty summer so far with temps at about 20 deg C and some heavy rain too, everybody scrambling to get out of there during their holidays, ha-ha.

Hmm.

If I could afford it I would choose Portugal or Spain .  But I can't so I'm stuck here,  

Anyway I have good memories of Faro and several holidays I spent in Albufeira  back in the 90's. Nice, clean beaches , but the water was a bit cold and very windy at times.   I even considered buying a house there.  Just memories now.

Edited by balo

On 04/08/2017 at 2:09 AM, observer90210 said:

Good idea to be in Thailand in winter for the climate, food, to hang out with those who are nice and friendly, a bit of hanky panky and good to leave for Spain for 6 months in summer and thus not be bothered by corruption, farang aimed ripoffing or Thai immigration harassment.

Sorry to be prosaic and on-topic amongst all these adventurous travelogue extracts, but anyone over 50 considering spending a lot of time outside of Thailand should remember that retirement extensions obtained here are valid for one year but that you dont actually have to be here at all during that time, apart from the couple of days that it would take you to obtain it and the multiple re-entry permit. In Jomtien I actually find the Thai retirement extension overall to be one of the world's easiest/cheapest permissions to stay to obtain, and for most people it is probably easier/cheaper to obtain than frequent multiple entry visas are.

I know several people who own condos here and have a retirement extension but who currently only come here for a couple of weeks a year and travel the other 50 weeks, though of course the option is there for them to come as often and they like and stay as long as they like and at one point they may do so. I also know some who are not yet retired but who also have a retirement extension, simply because it is so easy.

As for the travel discussion, personally I find it's increasingly a case of not only "better to travel than to arrive" but also "better to plan travel than to actually do it". God knows what I'll be like when I hit 65 or 70.

As for the visa / extensions:

Of course one possibility is to have a 1 year extension + reentry permits.

Other possibility is what I do: since I visit my homecountry every year, I apply there for a 1 year non im O visa, that I can make last up to almost 17 months.

That way I do not have to deal with whimsical imm officers, and my money can stay in banks that I mistrust slightly less than Thai banks.

As for travelling:

I am 66, and still enjoy travelling. However, over the years my travelling style has changed.

From "Kerouac style" to staying 2 or more weeks at the same destination.

10 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Other possibility is what I do: since I visit my homecountry every year, I apply there for a 1 year non im O visa, that I can make last up to almost 17 months.

That way I do not have to deal with whimsical imm officers, and my money can stay in banks that I mistrust slightly less than Thai banks.

I've never had any trouble at all at Jomtien with the immigration people. I just present the correct documents one day and pick up the extension the next. It generally takes less than one hour total over the two visits. As my condo is just a few minutes walk from Soi 5 this is all very easy for me. I appreciate that some offices are not so easy.

Over the years I've actually got more interest here (tax free) on my deposit than I would have done in the UK, and I have also gained quite a lot thanks to the exchange rate dropping over that time, though that of course could easily have gone the other way. For those who dont fancy having deposits here the income declaration method is available, though the consulate fee is very high for Brits.

I would find it very hard and expensive to get a long visa in the UK every year (not least because I'm only there for a few days and am nowhere near a Thai consulate) though I fully appreciate that for some it would be simpler to do so. Plus the fact that with the multiple visa you do actually have to leave Thailand every few months: with the extension it's entirely up to you whether you leave or not, and when. I like to have that choice.

18 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

As for travelling:

I am 66, and still enjoy travelling. However, over the years my travelling style has changed.

From "Kerouac style" to staying 2 or more weeks at the same destination.

I find that when travelling I miss my own bed and chair, and my music and hifi, and having my favourite brands of tea and biscuits in the cupboard, and a thousand other such little comforts. It doesnt seem to make much difference whether I stay for a day or a week or a month. Even if I take my teabags and other stuff with me it's still not the same. Old age probably.

36 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

Would sound better to say; visiting friends or family a few times overseas, than "visiting wife"...old hippy". emoji38.png

What you say in true in reality.

But according to  Thai immigration rules I visit my wife.

I take my wife 6 months to Europe, we return, and I get a 2 months extension for visiting her in Thailand.... next we travel to Europe together again.