5 Year Driver License Renewal-Update-Phuket

racyrick

I have to renew my 5 year car drivers license in 2 weeks.

Has anybody done theirs recently and can give me advice as to what I need to bring and what time I need to be there in the morning?

Thanks in advance.

I know there are older threads on this subject, but just want to know the latest info.

This you ned to  renew your 5 year car drivers license in Phuket:

Phuket Rajabhat University is now providing viewing sessions of the compulsory road-safety video in order to reduce the time it takes to get a driver’s licence in Phuket. 
People applying for a new licence to drive a car or motorbike must endure a five-hour video session as part of their compulsory road-safety training in order to be issued a licence.

Those applying to renew their existing licence must complete viewing a one-hour “training” video session.

The training video sessions at the PRU campus in Rassada are provided under a joint project between the Provincial Land Transport Office (PLTO) and Rajabhat University, an official from the PLTO confirmed today (June 16).

The video sessions are being offered due to the PLTO being busy daily, and will be offered until September until further notice, the PLTO official told The Phuket News.

“People still have to go to the PLTO to take the eyesight and other tests to be issued a licence. We do not offer these,” said Dr Sumran Chaisawas, of the Political and Administrative Science Faculty, who is heading the project at PRU.

Participants will be issued a certificate to present to the PLTO when applying for their licences.

“Training days are every Thursday and Sunday. For those without an initial licence, the training starts at 8:30am and finishes at 2:30pm with a lunch break from midday to 1pm,” he explained.

“Those renewing their licence are only required to view the training video for one hour, but are welcome to stay for longer to view the rest of the video.”

“The video sessions are held in Room 756, on the fifth floor of Building 7 (Law Building),” Dr Sumran added.

Viewing the five-hour video session costs B500. Viewing the one-hour video session costs B200.

“The video sessions will be provided until September for now. If we have enough customers, it may be extended,” said Dr Sumran.

To register, visit the PRU Office 8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday, or call Dr Sumran at 093-6592591.

Thais must bring a signed copy of their ID card.

Foreigners must bring with them their passports, plus signed copies of the photo, visa and permit-to-stay pages; their work permits if they have one, plus signed copies of the relevant pages; and a letter from Immigration confirming the foreigner’s address.

On successful completion of watching the relevant training video sessions,

For more information call Dr Sumran or contact the PLTO at 076-220791.

Edited by nasa123
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

The latter part of the previous post is correct.

The first 21 lines are not, as indicated in the text " People applying for a new licence to drive a car or motorbike ", this is only aplicable to new aplicants.

So for the OP: required are, besides the usual passport copies and CoR/WP/yellow book: medical certificate, copies of old license(s) and tests will be done: reaction, colour, depth perception and peripheral vision.

1 hour ago, nasa123 said:

This you ned to  renew your 5 year car drivers license in Phuket:

Phuket Rajabhat University is now providing viewing sessions of the compulsory road-safety video in order to reduce the time it takes to get a driver’s licence in Phuket. 
People applying for a new licence to drive a car or motorbike must endure a five-hour video session as part of their compulsory road-safety training in order to be issued a licence.

Those applying to renew their existing licence must complete viewing a one-hour “training” video session.

The training video sessions at the PRU campus in Rassada are provided under a joint project between the Provincial Land Transport Office (PLTO) and Rajabhat University, an official from the PLTO confirmed today (June 16).

The video sessions are being offered due to the PLTO being busy daily, and will be offered until September until further notice, the PLTO official told The Phuket News.

“People still have to go to the PLTO to take the eyesight and other tests to be issued a licence. We do not offer these,” said Dr Sumran Chaisawas, of the Political and Administrative Science Faculty, who is heading the project at PRU.

Participants will be issued a certificate to present to the PLTO when applying for their licences.

“Training days are every Thursday and Sunday. For those without an initial licence, the training starts at 8:30am and finishes at 2:30pm with a lunch break from midday to 1pm,” he explained.

“Those renewing their licence are only required to view the training video for one hour, but are welcome to stay for longer to view the rest of the video.”

“The video sessions are held in Room 756, on the fifth floor of Building 7 (Law Building),” Dr Sumran added.

Viewing the five-hour video session costs B500. Viewing the one-hour video session costs B200.

“The video sessions will be provided until September for now. If we have enough customers, it may be extended,” said Dr Sumran.

To register, visit the PRU Office 8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday, or call Dr Sumran at 093-6592591.

Thais must bring a signed copy of their ID card.

Foreigners must bring with them their passports, plus signed copies of the photo, visa and permit-to-stay pages; their work permits if they have one, plus signed copies of the relevant pages; and a letter from Immigration confirming the foreigner’s address.

On successful completion of watching the relevant training video sessions,

For more information call Dr Sumran or contact the PLTO at 076-220791.

I am a bit confused, Do you have to take the 1 hour video at Rajabhat or can you still watch the video at the Land Transport office. It looks to me this is an option to reduce the load, but the Land Transport still offers the video. Am I wrong?

Also, the video is offered free at the Land Transport office, so it does not make sense to force people to watch the video elsewhere and pay for it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The first 21 lines are not, as indicated in the text " People applying for a new licence to drive a car or motorbike ", this is only aplicable to new aplicants.

So for the OP: required are, besides the usual passport copies and CoR/WP/yellow book: medical certificate, copies of old license(s) and tests will be done: reaction, colour, depth perception and peripheral vision.

Thanks. I thought the previous post wan't correct. I also thought for the 5 year renewal you do not need a medical certificate.

44 minutes ago, racyrick said:

Thanks. I thought the previous post wan't correct. I also thought for the 5 year renewal you do not need a medical certificate.

Normally medical is required. Not always though. For upgrade temporary to 5 year officially not required btw.

1 hour ago, racyrick said:

I am a bit confused, Do you have to take the 1 hour video at Rajabhat or can you still watch the video at the Land Transport office. It looks to me this is an option to reduce the load, but the Land Transport still offers the video. Am I wrong?

Also, the video is offered free at the Land Transport office, so it does not make sense to force people to watch the video elsewhere and pay for it.

Now more movie in Land Transport Office, but the rest you do there. 

Call this Nr : For more information call Dr Sumran or contact the PLTO at 076-220791

Edited by nasa123

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

racyrickWhat the wright in lines nr:  5 - 6 and 7 ?.

Edited by nasa123

Still dont get it...

I have to renew my driving license from 5 years to probably 2 since I am not on a non o Visa.. But point is..

Are you saying I can not see the one hour video at the office in Phuket Town anymore.. Does everyone has to go to the university to watch the movie? That does not make sense at ALL....

3 minutes ago, paahlman said:

Still dont get it...

I have to renew my driving license from 5 years to probably 2 since I am not on a non o Visa.. But point is..

Are you saying I can not see the one hour video at the office in Phuket Town anymore.. Does everyone has to go to the university to watch the movie? That does not make sense at ALL....

I would guess (??) with a non O you would get the 5 year, but hey who knows.

Again I thought that off site video was only for brand new applications, and not renewal.

Confusing mai ...

Confusion. It seems to be the Thai modus operandi. Is anything ever clear-cut here?

I've started to take every piece of paper that might possibly be required every time I visit a Government office,  whatever the advice on Thaivisa, as the rules are changed at the whim of individuals. 

I'm sure Genesis wrote this song about Thailand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlBIa8z_Mts 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

Confusion. It seems to be the Thai modus operandi. Is anything ever clear-cut here?

I've started to take every piece of paper that might possibly be required every time I visit a Government office,  whatever the advice on Thaivisa, as the rules are changed at the whim of individuals. 

I'm sure Genesis wrote this song about Thailand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlBIa8z_Mts 

I and many others agree with this.  I have a fantasy about having several professional assistant looking people accompany me to immigration carry suitcases of documents, which are then strewn all over the office, burying all the officials up to their necks.

Where does all that paper go, anyway? 

Edited by PhuketSarah

I renewed my both DL at the PTO about 2 weeks ago.

Went there at 09:00 with the following documents :

Copies passport (Name page, Visa extension page, Entry stamp page and TM 6 card )

Copies of the old DL

2 Proof of Residence papers from immigration.

3 people in line and after checking the documents went straight to the color and reaction test. (done in 10 Mins as i had 2 people in front of me)

Watched the movie at 10:00 ( they started the movie at 09:50 and finished it before the end at 10:50)

Down to pay the bill (waited for about 10 mins)

Took the picture for the new DL with again waiting about 5 mins as i had a few people in front of me.

So in the end it took me from 09:00 till 11:30 without any issues or problems.

All the staff where very friendly with reasonable good English.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, merijn said:

I renewed my both DL at the PTO about 2 weeks ago.

Went there at 09:00 with the following documents :

Copies passport (Name page, Visa extension page, Entry stamp page and TM 6 card )

Copies of the old DL

2 Proof of Residence papers from immigration.

3 people in line and after checking the documents went straight to the color and reaction test. (done in 10 Mins as i had 2 people in front of me)

Watched the movie at 10:00 ( they started the movie at 09:50 and finished it before the end at 10:50)

Down to pay the bill (waited for about 10 mins)

Took the picture for the new DL with again waiting about 5 mins as i had a few people in front of me.

So in the end it took me from 09:00 till 11:30 without any issues or problems.

All the staff where very friendly with reasonable good English.

Thank you so much. Perfect!

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, federicoP said:

I have been told that, to renew the license, it is necessary to go to the transport office only on Friday, and not any day of the week.

It seems to me very strange, has anybody updated information ?

As far as I know it's every working week day. Get there early 08.30 for morning session.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, federicoP said:

I have been told that, to renew the license, it is necessary to go to the transport office only on Friday, and not any day of the week.

Can be done on every working day.

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2018 at 5:44 PM, federicoP said:

I always love this phrase!