Tooth crowns and decay.

giddyup

10 hours ago, smo said:

On the other hand, there is a smaller side tooth that needs root canal because doc says the cavities have come into the pulp part of the roots. However she emphasizes root canal only, no crown is necessary. So what gives? I always thought that doing root canal is to pave the way for putting on a crown.

I had two root canals done in Europe many years ago. No crown was fitted or needed. I've never really understood why root canals done here generally seem to need a crown too.

On 06/08/2017 at 8:15 PM, giddyup said:

I just did a tough calculation of 16 molars, 8 top and 8 bottom @ around 75,000 baht each for implants,

My implants cost me 40,000B each, including all the extras (crown, x-rays etc.). Some savings can be made on that in some cases as it is possible to support more than one adjacent crown on one implant. It all rather depends on the individual circumstances.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

My implants cost me 40,000B each, including all the extras (crown, x-rays etc.). Some savings can be made on that in some cases as it is possible to support more than one adjacent crown on one implant. It all rather depends on the individual circumstances.

was that in BKK ?

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I had two root canals done in Europe many years ago. No crown was fitted or needed. I've never really understood why root canals done here generally seem to need a crown too.

After you kill and remove the roots the tooth becomes more brittle and has a much greater chance of fracture which would likely require extraction. The crown protects that.  

On 8/5/2017 at 2:56 PM, giddyup said:

I'm not sure implants are a viable option at 75, and could see costs escalating to around 800,000 baht if I just had all the molars done.

Implants are amazing. I have a relative who had his put in at age 82 because the  remaining teeth couldn't  hold his bridge and he also needed gum surgery. A year of complex surgery and discomfort, but what a difference. Here's why;

1. He speaks clearly.  Denture wearers have enunciation problems  as the mouth tissue shrinks over time and dentures no longer fit  properly.

2. He can eat whatever he wants without pain. 

3. He doesn't have that  wasted sallow facial look that denture wearers have . Teeth maintain  the  facial structure. There's no sinking with implants.

4. Quality of life. What a difference. No more busted crowns or  loose bridges.

5. He doesn't have denture breath.

I received my first root canal and crown a year a go after I broke a molar on a bone. I have a couple cracked teeth from sports trauma that will probably lead to root canals and crowns in 10-20 years. If and when I get to the point where I have a few, I'm getting implants.

I had a couple of implants years ago ( maybe 25 ) in the uk on 2 front teeth and to this day one of them is fine.
About 6 or 7 years ago the other one came loose, the dentist ( in Brazil ) struggled to fit a new one but couldn't and the solution was to fit a bridge, not ideal but works.

About 4 months ago I had severe pain in another tooth complete with swelling, the options were extraction or root canal treatment and crown ( it already had a crown ). I chose the latter, and several visits and about 20,000 baht later have a tooth that I am very happy with .
Dentist in Ayutthaya.

As a child I had a fear of the dentist and combined with a lack of self discipline my teeth suffered. I made sure my children were aware of the importance of dental higiene and maintenance, I hope they do the same with their children.

3 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Implants are amazing. I have a relative who had his put in at age 82 because the  remaining teeth couldn't  hold his bridge and he also needed gum surgery. A year of complex surgery and discomfort, but what a difference. Here's why;

1. He speaks clearly.  Denture wearers have enunciation problems  as the mouth tissue shrinks over time and dentures no longer fit  properly.

2. He can eat whatever he wants without pain. 

3. He doesn't have that  wasted sallow facial look that denture wearers have . Teeth maintain  the  facial structure. There's no sinking with implants.

4. Quality of life. What a difference. No more busted crowns or  loose bridges.

5. He doesn't have denture breath.

I received my first root canal and crown a year a go after I broke a molar on a bone. I have a couple cracked teeth from sports trauma that will probably lead to root canals and crowns in 10-20 years. If and when I get to the point where I have a few, I'm getting implants.

How many implants at 82? At 75 to be realistic I'd need at least 10, and besides the expense, the fitting of 10 implants would necessitate an awful lot of time in the dentists chair. Not sure I'm prepared for that, even though the thought of dentures, even partial, isn't appealing. Why would you say your cracked teeth will need root canals in 10-20 years, how could you possibly know that?

Edited by giddyup