Thais tell Facebook: “This is Thailand – you’re not doing enough to block illegal content”

webfact

Thais tell Facebook: “This is Thailand – you’re not doing enough to block illegal content”

BY STAFF WRITER 

facebook2-600x336.jpg

The Thai national broadcasting authority has told Facebook they are not doing enough to block content deemed illegal in the kingdom.

Out of more than 2,500 URLs the Thais asked to be taken down in May Facebook has only shut access to 40%.

Now they are giving Facebook a Monday deadline to clear up many of the outstanding URLs before considering their next move, Daily News reported.

However YouTube are doing a good job, said secretary of the NTBC Thakorn Tanthasit.

Back at the start of May a court in Thailand decided that 2,556 URLs on Facebook should be closed. Only 1,039 have been.

YouTube were asked to shut 980, and have shut 779 or 79%.

Full story: http://tech.thaivisa.com/thais-tell-facebook-thailand-youre-not-enough-block-illegal-content/23365/

-- © Copyright Thai Tech 2017-08-04 

Let's say FB & Youtube says never mind. And then they get blocked from Thailand. Would anyone care? Even the worker (B400 per day) who helps with projects around our place is phone savvy. More times than not, while out and about in this rural area, I see villagers on FB or watching videos. The backlash would be tremendous.

phones.jpg

Well as the Junta and their lackeys have their own heads stuck where the sun doesn't shine no one will hear them anyway.  The Junta are totally afraid of their own shadows and trying to clamp down on the population and the rest of the world  hearing the truth is something they know will bring and end to this police state/dictatorship sooner or later. Hopefully for the poor of this country the sooner the better.

Reminds me of when I used to be on those dating websites. You'd get some girls saying stuff like "I'm Thai lady. I love my culture. You must speak softly and respectfully with me and respect my culture" Yea, 'cos women from other cultures don't have cultures, and if they do, they're not worthy of real respect. 

Pure mindless spoilt-child narcissism. If you're all big on your respect, fair play. But you have to respect all. Not cherry pick so you can show how unique and special you are to people who couldn't care less. That's the definition of disrespectful. 

9 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Yea, 'cos women from other cultures don't have cultures, and if they do, they're not worthy of real respect. 

This blows my mind on a regular basis about my wife.  I'm all for respecting ones culture, but she can't seem to grasp the fact that I have my own culture that shaped me and I'm not going to abandon it.  

Just now, rkidlad said:

Let's hope for the first one. People taking the power back. 

Personally I don't want a revolt (want the people to get back in power) but not by bloodshed. I was joking a bit but I am pretty sure that blocking facebook will have far more reactions then not being able to vote. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Personally I don't want a revolt (want the people to get back in power) but not by bloodshed. I was joking a bit but I am pretty sure that blocking facebook will have far more reactions then not being able to vote. 

Thais have to pretend to care about many things that they don't. Take away something they do care about and they act as all other humans do. 

Thousands of years of evolution but we're all still all animals. Regardless of our cultures and conditioning. 

4 hours ago, Dobredin Ghusputin said:

Thais tell Facebook: “This is Thailand"

shocking ! is it true ?! if the implication was meant to be that thailand is great, then i suggest a review of where thailand ranks in the Human Development Index ; number 93

Another deadline!

"...it was not possible to say at this stage what action might be taken if Facebook didn’t shut more URLs by deadline day."

Who would have thought that a social media website would have such influence on a country and threats had to be issued?
I'm guessing it's about 1 or 2 issues that can't be talked about.

Makes me ask myself again, why am I here, why do I stay?  Running out of good answers.

Edited by Nowisee

4 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

This will be known as the "Facebook Wars" in the years to come. Dear generals, you just don't have the right submarines for this conflict.

I heard the army just ordered Tron light bikes so they can patrol the internet.

5 hours ago, Nowisee said:

..it was not possible to say at this stage what action might be taken if Facebook didn’t shut more URLs by deadline day."

No, it isn't possible, because there isn't any action they can take without causing a People's Revolution, as well as a mass exodus from businesses that use FB.

A lot of posturing but what can Thailand do? Block Facebook? I'd love to see them try, would be a great laugh over a pint.

They did for a brief time !
DTAC admitted to the blocking and got a roasting from "officials" then lots of back tracking from all concerned.

10 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Reminds me of when I used to be on those dating websites. You'd get some girls saying stuff like "I'm Thai lady. I love my culture. You must speak softly and respectfully with me and respect my culture" Yea, 'cos women from other cultures don't have cultures, and if they do, they're not worthy of real respect. 

Pure mindless spoilt-child narcissism. If you're all big on your respect, fair play. But you have to respect all. Not cherry pick so you can show how unique and special you are to people who couldn't care less. That's the definition of disrespectful. 

My icon sums it up.