Video: Ubon teacher faces the sack for putting shoes on boy's head

rooster59

Video: Ubon teacher faces the sack for putting shoes on boy's head

shoes.PNG

Image: Daily News

A video has caused an online storm after a teacher in Ubon was filmed putting a boy's shoes on his head as a punishment.

Thaivisa notes that most Thais would feel that doing such a thing is far worse than even physical assault.

In the video that found its way to Mem Pho Dam the boy is told to sit on the floor while other students mill about in front of a classroom.

The shoes are put on his head and then the nape of his neck as he is ordered to repeatedly "graap" in apology.

His misdemeanor was not mentioned in the Daily News story of the incident that happened in Dechaudom district of the north eastern Thai province.

Adun Kronthong, the directory of secondary school affairs in Region 29 of Ubon immediately sent his people to investigate on seeing the clip. He said that repeated calls to the school director went unanswered.

He promised a committee of enquiry and if charges are proven the teacher will face the sack.

Charnchai Rotjan of the Ubon education department echoed these comments saying that the teacher's behavior was inappropriate and a full investigation must take place.

The video caused a social media frenzy with thousands calling for the teacher to be sacked immediately.

While corporal punishment in Thai schools is illegal it is often tolerated with teachers rarely losing their jobs.

Thaivisa notes that this incident may have crossed a line for which there is no going back.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-05

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cue the weepy apology (with additional inane sob story). Some (false) wai's, some offers of money to the boy's parents, an apology to the parents and the public (but not the boy), and maybe a transfer.. But sacked, i'd bet my house on that not happening ?

Three kids in the hospital and another 18 were also whacked in the head with bamboo. But that teacher will only be investigated.

This teacher put the kid's own shoes on his head and she is fired without question.

You can beat our kids and injure them, but don't you dare make them lose face.

I've seen the video.

Living here in Thailand since nearly 25 years I've learned a lot about Thai Culture.

I do wonder what the pupil did! What did he do to receive such a humiliation in front of his comrades at school?

Understandable that it's a big story considering that it is a teacher doing this!! Shocking and shameful for the "educator"...

You can "put the boot in" to someones head here and get away with a wai,but place their shoes on their heads for a misdemeanor and you are hung/drawn and quartered...........strange place  :whistling:

4 hours ago, z42 said:

Cue the weepy apology (with additional inane sob story). Some (false) wai's, some offers of money to the boy's parents, an apology to the parents and the public (but not the boy), and maybe a transfer.. But sacked, i'd bet my house on that not happening ?

Right! Even with a bet like that your plans for renovation work may continue. Is this the answer to the daily education reforms?

Edited by Lupatria

"faces the sack" 

Please! Who are these idiots trying to fool? She'll get off with a slap on the wrist. If you can break someone's face with a coffee mug and get off scott free, what's a little shoe on a kid's head?

The teacher's parents probaby routinely used this form of child abuse/mind control on the teacher.

No wonder why home schooling is becoming more popular with all the teachers in the news displaying their metal disorders.

53 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Seeing as they don't get taught anything in school they might as well learn how to behave.  Little turd probably deserved it.

"Seeing as they don't get taught anything in school "- how do you know that?

"they might as well learn how to behave"- vague and meaningless comment. Do you know that these children 'can't behave'? Why even bother making it?

" Little turd probably deserved it."- I see you covered your options with the adverb. But no child 'deserves' to be humiliated by an education professional, even in Thailand. And  how do you know the kid is a 'little turd'?

All in all I give 3/10 for comment young Cranky. At least you used language in a manner that would elicit an emotional response from your audience. Go to the bottom of the class.

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Ubon teacher faces the sack for putting shoes on boy's head

The question is now whether she has the goods to make a sexy youtube video and become a social media star.

Oops, just looked at the pic - I guess not.

Edited by Dobredin Ghusputin

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

Seeing as they don't get taught anything in school they might as well learn how to behave.  Little turd probably deserved it.

Glad you said "probably" as you're presumably not in possession of any facts!

49 minutes ago, Essaybloke said:

"Seeing as they don't get taught anything in school "- how do you know that?

"they might as well learn how to behave"- vague and meaningless comment. Do you know that these children 'can't behave'? Why even bother making it?

" Little turd probably deserved it."- I see you covered your options with the adverb. But no child 'deserves' to be humiliated by an education professional, even in Thailand. And  how do you know the kid is a 'little turd'?

All in all I give 3/10 for comment young Cranky. At least you used language in a manner that would elicit an emotional response from your audience. Go to the bottom of the class.

"Seeing as they don't get taught anything in school " 

Seems like Cranky didn't spend much time there either! (Grammar Police at work - substitute "Because" for "Seeing as")

Edited by sambum

It may be demeaning to Thais , but it certainly won't hurt , yes investigate , sit the teacher down and invite 20 parents to rub there shoes on his head . Saved face all good , job down . As for the other clown bashing kids around the head and putting some in hospital, for uniform violation, yes major inquiry, police , education department, sacked and never able to work with kids again.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

There were more details on the news.sanook website gleaned from a Facebook post by the boy's sister, who filmed the incident with her mobile phone.
The punishment was for wearing non-regulation shoes. Initially the teacher told the boy to pick the shoes up in his mouth with his teeth but he refused.
So she made him put them on his head and prostrate to him while bowing. She also kicked and shoved him with her foot.
There is also another video of the incident filmed from in front but the sister didn't post it because her brother's face is visible.
The boy hasn't dared return to school since the incident.

Edited by katana

I've got some sympathy for the teachers. It is an increasingly tough gig. Their conditions have been going downhill under the present government while their work hours are going up. Most are expected to be on call 12 hours a week, seven days a week.

Discipline is increasing as a problem because kids are spoilt at home home and the teachers have to take up the slack. Plus, every kid has a mobile phone and social media is used against the teachers.