Chinese tourists arrested after Hitler salutes in Germany

rooster59

Chinese tourists arrested after Hitler salutes in Germany

BERLIN (Reuters) - German police on Saturday arrested two Chinese tourists for making illegal "Heil Hitler" salutes in front of the historic Reichstag building that houses the German parliament.

Berlin police officers say they detained the two men, aged 36 and 49, after they were seen striking the Nazi-era pose and photographing each other with their mobile phones.

They face charges for "using symbols of illegal organisations", the police said in a statement, and were released after posting bail of 500 euros each.

Germany has strict laws on hate speech and symbols linked to Hitler and the Nazis, who ruled between 1933 and 1945.

The Reichstag is a powerful symbol in Germany. It was destroyed by fire in 1933 by an arsonist thought to have been paid by the Nazis, who then blamed the blaze on the Communists and used it as an excuse to severely restrict civil liberties.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-06

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, kotsak said:

Why not visit Thailand and dress up in full Nazi regalia and enjoy your holidays? I can see an opportunity for TAT here.. :giggle:

Didn't a BKK University greet freshmen with upperclassmen dressed in Nazi garb just recently? 

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/09/thai-uni-apologizes-israeli-embassy-students-don-hitler-nazi-garb/#xJxwulLvmxxLF8lh.97

I have encountered Chinese tourists in numerous countries, from Asia to the US and other Western countries.   They are among those most difficult and disrespectful tourists I have ever seen.   

National parks in the US have much of signage written in Chinese, but to no avail.   

Many Asians are obsessed with Hitler. They are attracted to the strongman image combined with placing the interests of one's own race above other races. It is what they want in a leader. You will find this throughout several Asian countries including Thailand. They see no evil in what he did or espoused.

The Chinese are no strangers to wartime atrocities (Nanking Massacre, Unit 731, to name but two), and sharing the experience, I think they would be horrified as anyone else at what the Nazis did in Europe and Russia. I'm thinking their misunderstanding of Hitler might come from Hollywood portrayals of the Nazis as glamorous baddies.

Just now, nausea said:

The Chinese are no strangers to wartime atrocities (Nanking Massacre, Unit 731, to name but two), and sharing the experience, I think they would be horrified as anyone else at what the Nazis did in Europe and Russia. I'm thinking their misunderstanding of Hitler might come from Hollywood portrayals of the Nazis as glamorous baddies.

I understand why you say that. I beg to differ though.

For a Chinese person, what happened to other Chinese people in China during the Japanese occupation is unforgivable.

For a Chinese person, what Hitler did in Europe to non-German people was a defence of his race. (This is NOT ME thinking)

I have heard many times in Thailand from Thais that Hitler was "good", "a good leader", etc.

We all empathise more with people similar to us. Some Asian countries seem to have almost no empathy with other races. I don't think this is an issue of pure ignorance, rather Asians know what happened but it is of no relevance to them because they are Chinese/Thai, etc. and the victims were of another race. When countries push a homologous race syllabus through schools from the first year of primary education, it is hardly a surprising outcome.

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Many Asians are obsessed with Hitler. They are attracted to the strongman image combined with placing the interests of one's own race above other races. It is what they want in a leader. You will find this throughout several Asian countries including Thailand. They see no evil in what he did or espoused.

I do not agree that many Asians are obsessed with Hitler , some og the younger ones may like him in the same way that many Western youngsters like Che Gue Vara

I.E. have very little idea of his ideology , they just think that his photo looks good

A lot of BS comes up when threads concerning the swastika come up.

They don't know what the swastika represents for Europeans, that is to say to the children and grandchildren of people that went through the Second World War, 10 000 Km away over 60 years ago.

What's more they don't care.

I see Tuktuk and rickshaw drivers every day with Union Jacks (so sorry, how un-PC of me, Union  flags is it now? I forget. That's what my dad called it and he served behind it for 5 years) on the back of their vehicles, as well as trucks.

It's a nice pattern. So is the swastika. They think Hitler and Charlie Chaplin are the same person.

They were more concerned with the rising sun flag than anything else at the time.

Going off topic I know, but why do people expect people from the Far East and South East Asia to know about this stuff? Most young people in Europe don't know much about it apart from when they are spouting nonsense about somebody being 'literally Hitler'.

I salute the Germans for putting their foot down; well done.

Please also ensure, that the same applies if the fidels bash and trash anything infidel, lock 'em up for hate speech against Christianity and their intention to impose sharia law. 

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I see it a bit differently.  I think some Asians dress up in Hitler garb, including Nazi style helmets, for the 'camp' stylish appeal.  You gotta admit, the Nazis had some cool-looking uniforms, insignia, and color schemes; black, silver, red, gold, white.   Not a whole lot different from the Oakland Raiders (American football team).

2 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Yes, and Jews among themselves can call each other "k*ke" and the Italians "w*ps" and so forth. It's the difference between being a member of the group and being outside the group. It's not specific to black people.

I understand, but with each passing year, the dividing lines get fuzzier.  I'm 1/4 Jewish according to the fact that one of my grandmothers was Jewish.  Yet I look Scandinavian with blue eyes/blond hair.  I could also have black African in my family tree - Even Tom Jefferson messed around.  Probably 92% of black folks in the US have some caucasian blood, and vice versa.  After a week working outdoors, I'm darker than O.J.   

The point is; people have so many trigger points, with words, hand gestures, etc.  It boils down to attachments stemming from biased influences.  It's also mixed with religion, ethnic affiliations and peer pressure.  I happen to be free from such things.  If someone calls me a bad name, it might bother me (I might even feel sorry for the person for being so misdirected) but I'm 99% free from being offended.  

The closest I came to being offended by words, in the past 10 years, was when I dropped a few baht on the floor while paying for some veges.  I was going squat down to pick up the change, but first wanted to take a few seconds to finalize the transaction.  An elder Thai woman next to me said some disparaging things about me in Thai, addressed to the people standing around.  She didn't think I understood the words ('kee nok', 'farang ba',  etc), but I did.  Yet even that was so minor, as to be nearly forgotten.

Edited by boomerangutang

29 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

I see it a bit differently.  I think some Asians dress up in Hitler garb, including Nazi style helmets, for the 'camp' stylish appeal.  You gotta admit, the Nazis had some cool-looking uniforms, insignia, and color schemes; black, silver, red, gold, white.   Not a whole lot different from the Oakland Raiders (American football team).

I understand, but with each passing year, the dividing lines get fuzzier.  I'm 1/4 Jewish according to the fact that one of my grandmothers was Jewish.  Yet I look Scandinavian with blue eyes/blond hair.  I could also have black African in my family tree - Even Tom Jefferson messed around.  Probably 92% of black folks in the US have some caucasian blood, and vice versa.  After a week working outdoors, I'm darker than O.J.   

The point is; people have so many trigger points, with words, hand gestures, etc.  It boils down to attachments stemming from biased influences.  It's also mixed with religion, ethnic affiliations and peer pressure.  I happen to be free from such things.  If someone calls me a bad name, it might bother me (I might even feel sorry for the person for being so misdirected) but I'm 99% free from being offended.  

The closest I came to being offended by words, in the past 10 years, was when I dropped a few baht on the floor while paying for some veges.  I was going squat down to pick up the change, but first wanted to take a few seconds to finalize the transaction.  An elder Thai woman next to me said some disparaging things about me in Thai, addressed to the people standing around.  She didn't think I understood the words ('kee nok', 'farang ba',  etc), but I did.  Yet even that was so minor, as to be nearly forgotten.

Your attitude is particularly praiseworthy in light of the long history of suffering that blond-haired blue-eyed people have endured on account of their appearance. 

1 hour ago, nausea said:

I'm thinking their misunderstanding of Hitler might come from Hollywood portrayals of the Nazis as glamorous baddies.

Can you give me a link to any Hollywood movie that glamorized the nazi's? Siskel and Ebert must have missed it too.

Any understanding of what happened in both World Wars is sadly lacking in Thai schools and watching American movies only confuses the kids more.  Might have been different if Britain had been allowed to occupy Thailandj in '45.    However there can be no excuse for Chinese, whose country suffered terribly at the hands of the Japanese !

Just now, eliotness said:

Any understanding of what happened in both World Wars is sadly lacking in Thai schools and watching American movies only confuses the kids more.  Might have been different if Britain had been allowed to occupy Thailandj in '45.    However there can be no excuse for Chinese, whose country suffered terribly at the hands of the Japanese !

Well, given that the Chinese never really engaged militarily with the Germans during the 1930's and 1940's it's not surprising that the Chinese don't harbor them ill will. And the Chinese govt. has focused entirely on Japan's war crimes.

4 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

In Mae Sai recently, I saw a middle aged local guy with a t-shirt - it had a large swastika superimposed on top of a big red heart-shape. Heck, let people be dumb with symbols.  The general public may then slowly get innured to such symbols, and that can be generally good.  

Similar with the word 'nigger.'   Currently, only people with dark brown skin are allowed to utter that word, and they can say it loud and repeatedly.  Anyone without dark skin is not allowed to say that word.  Are there any words that black people are not allowed to say?  I can't think of any.  If everyone was allowed to say the word 'nigger', then the word would decrease in its profundity - eventually devolving to the gravity of words like 'naughty', 'cursed' or 'damned' (which used to be much more significant words). 

Yep they splashed it around in Blazing Saddles thats for sure .. they ever air that here .? 

3 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Yep they splashed it around in Blazing Saddles thats for sure .. they ever air that here .? 

And the Harrison Ford movies "Raiders of the lost ark" etc, all of which have been shown on Thai TV.

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

I'm 1/4 Jewish according to the fact that one of my grandmothers was Jewish.  

You cannot be a 1/4 Jewish

You are either Jewish or you are not .

If your Mother wasnt Jewish, then neither are you

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

She called you the Thai equivalent of stingy and crazy for picking up your coins or not picking them up fast enough for her liking?