Three family members die and another injured in a gunfight

rooster59

Three family members die and another injured in a gunfight

shoot2.jpg

Three clan members were killed and another seriously injured in a gunfight on Saturday over a conflict on the use of a route in Chai Buri district of Surat Thani.

The dead victims were identified as Somyot Nambut, 51, and his son, Atchariya and Sant Nambut, a relative. The injured was identified as Saksit Nambut, 28, Somyot’s another son.

Police said that, before the shooting, Sant padlocked a gate blocking a route which was normally used by Somyot and his family members. The route is on Sant’s land.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/three-family-members-die-and-another-injured-in-a-gunfight/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-08-06

Often the straw that breaks a camel's back is just a facilitator that unleashes a torrent of resentments and anger suppressed for years.

I suspect incidents like this result from the cultural imperative about not losing face, or the guilt associated with expressing different points of view.

I've no professional training in psychology but so many people's behaviours here remind me to tread lightly in social situations that should be pleasurable rather than fearful.

Expatriates as well as nationals seem to adopt the pressures of restraint in order to fit in.

Many people remind me of pressure cookers - body language, tones of voice and the readiness to take offence where none has been intended - you can virtually see the steam some emit unknowingly.

Small matters not relieved through the use of civilised discussion with respect - giving equal value to each other's views - have probably rankled for years.

Many people in Thailand seem to have difficulty developing anger management skills due to a range of circumstances and pressures with which I'm unfamiliar.

Coupled with low self-esteem (which also seems embedded in otherwise self-regulating social systems), minor irritations can have what appear to be unreasonable fatal results.

It's very sad to think simple public mental health service messages and educational campaigns designed to address desirable attitude change could save so much heartache, pain and regret.

The annual cost to the nation of not freeing people from their repressed feelings must be huge.

3:1 death to injury ratio.

Unlikely to have been able to achieve such an impressively high ratio if they been making do with boring old edged weapons. 

Three cheers for gunzzzzz.

Edited by Enoon

17 hours ago, sandemara said:

Often the straw that breaks a camel's back is just a facilitator that unleashes a torrent of resentments and anger suppressed for years.

I suspect incidents like this result from the cultural imperative about not losing face, or the guilt associated with expressing different points of view.

I've no professional training in psychology but so many people's behaviours here remind me to tread lightly in social situations that should be pleasurable rather than fearful.

Expatriates as well as nationals seem to adopt the pressures of restraint in order to fit in.

Many people remind me of pressure cookers - body language, tones of voice and the readiness to take offence where none has been intended - you can virtually see the steam some emit unknowingly.

Small matters not relieved through the use of civilised discussion with respect - giving equal value to each other's views - have probably rankled for years.

Many people in Thailand seem to have difficulty developing anger management skills due to a range of circumstances and pressures with which I'm unfamiliar.

Coupled with low self-esteem (which also seems embedded in otherwise self-regulating social systems), minor irritations can have what appear to be unreasonable fatal results.

It's very sad to think simple public mental health service messages and educational campaigns designed to address desirable attitude change could save so much heartache, pain and regret.

The annual cost to the nation of not freeing people from their repressed feelings must be huge.

what are you doing on thaivisa, you are too clever to be here ;)

you only have to look as far as the roads to see what you are talking about. I don't dare toot the horn (but I do anyway when the wife isn't in the car with me) for fear of starting WW3 

17 hours ago, sandemara said:

Excellent!

Addendum Short Answer: common men need a decent living wage . . . elitists, bankers and bureaucrats skimming way too much

5 hours ago, johnno2 said:

what are you doing on thaivisa, you are too clever to be here ;)

you only have to look as far as the roads to see what you are talking about. I don't dare toot the horn (but I do anyway when the wife isn't in the car with me) for fear of starting WW3 

It does seem that in Thailand people let a grudge fester until they can contain their anger no longer.  For most of us time is a healer and we find it easier to move on.  In Thailand the wounds don't heal and the vitriol grows. I think much of it is to do with loss of face combined with living in a state of constant angst.