Thai police promoting ‘Safety Taxi’ campaign

webfact

Thai police promoting ‘Safety Taxi’ campaign

PNSOC600806001000302.jpg

BANGKOK, 7 August 2017 (NNT) – The Royal Thai Police is promoting its ‘Safety Taxi’ campaign to boost passengers’ confidence and improve taxi services. 

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt-General Sanit Mahathaworn has presented vehicle certificates and ‘Safety Taxi’ stickers to taxi drivers who passed their training as part of their participation in the Safety Taxi campaign. 

The campaign strives to raise the standards and services of Thai taxis as well as regain the passengers’ trust and confidence. 

Pol Lt-General Sanit took the opportunity to thank all participants for their cooperation and understanding, noting that taxi drivers are the face of the tourism industry. Good services equal good image and perception, he added. 

After the award presentation, the police commissioner released a caravan of safe taxis to raise people’s awareness of the campaign.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-08-07

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt-General Sanit Mahathaworn has presented vehicle certificates and ‘Safety Taxi’ stickers to taxi drivers who passed their training as part of their participation in the Safety Taxi campaign. 

You would imagine that all that took part would pass the training, if they were fully qualified ?

But, then again, what country are we in ? 

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt-General Sanit Mahathaworn receives 600,000 baht annually from ThaiBev. One has to wonder how much is he receiving from the taxi industry to promote their "safe" services campaign.

Naturally there is no mention about "honest" services. That would be expecting a bit much.

Here's a better idea.  

Do an app where you snap a QR code when you get into a taxi and your phone's GPS and accelerometers report kamikaze driving, it asks you if there are functioning seat belts, and tracks your route and tells you what you should be paying.  After the ride, enter the amount you actually paid, and go after the drivers who overcharge and drive like maniacs.

As an added bonus, the driver will know your trip is in the cloud forever, which could give him second thoughts if he decides you're too good looking to pass up a chance...

2 hours ago, webfact said:

And I was stupid to think that it would be mandatory to pass thier training as a taxi driver, and no stickers would be needed to ensure passengers of their safety. Oh, silly me!

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt-General Sanit Mahathaworn receives 600,000 baht annually from ThaiBev. One has to wonder how much is he receiving from the taxi industry to promote their "safe" services campaign.

Naturally there is no mention about "honest" services. That would be expecting a bit much.

when i used to fly in and out of bkk often, i would ONLY use hotel minivans; bypass this whole mess

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

The taxi that the ThaiBev rep. is in, is great.....so could they now start to get rid of the old heaps of junk that still carry a taxi sign on the roof.....held together with wire and body filler!

Great idea, but I'd suggest allowing new taxis to charge more to encourage the upgrade.  I'd like to see the big van style taxis get a premium, too.  Otherwise, what's the point of spending the money if it buys you nothing?  Of course, once the vehicle gets so bad it's no longer safe, send it to the crusher...

I like the way they do it in Seoul, where different grades of taxis have vastly different fares.  Fits most passengers' budgets and gives people a choice between a sweet ride and a low fare.

28 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

when i used to fly in and out of bkk often, i would ONLY use hotel minivans; bypass this whole mess

Most taxi passengers don't stay in hotels, much less hotels with minivans.  And what did you do when you wanted to go somewhere other than the hotel or the airport?

The screens in the back of the taxi are just something else to bang your head on when the driver slams on the brakes and seat belts are not working.

What's the point in putting a "safety taxi" sticker on a vehicle they should be putting up "Lunatic Driver" stickers instead.

57 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

At the weekend I dozed off in a taxi and the driver had decided to change my destination for me while I was asleep and started heading away from where I was meant to be going. 

When I woke up I told him to stop the car and I got out and left him without payment. 

That's how horror movies start...  The ones with a masked slasher, a machete and a car that drives up and down stairs.

26 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Safety taxis will soon have so many stickers that the driver won't be able to see out of the windscreen!

We all know the windowstickers "I love farang" but how come i 've never seen a "I love Chinese" sticker??

2 hours ago, Thian said:

We all know the windowstickers "I love farang" but how come i 've never seen a "I love Chinese" sticker??

How would we know?  We couldn't read them.

Edit:  On a related note, why is it that so many Thai stickers say "Baby Onboard" in English and not in Thai?

Edited by impulse

Some taxi drivers have interpreted their service to the public as bringing the customers to their destination as fast as possible. No risk is too big in order to save a few seconds. This mentality is still alive and well, my family nearly killed on a ride from Don Muang a few days ago. I have to say that my impression is that many Bangkok taxi drivers drive in a much more considerate way , but still there are far too many of these drivers. I am grateful for any admission from people in power, that Thailand has a problem with road safety.This problem applies particularly to professional drivers be it truck drivers, bus drivers or taxi drivers. Some kind of completely twisted machoistic culture has taken root in these occupations. Unfortunately this worries us farangs the most,we see that it must go wrong (and indeed does all too often end in tragedy).I can not for instance understand how Thai parents with such calm can send their university student children on long journeys vith minivans .Their future in such peril.Again and again the news reports of new road accidents.Thailand seems to be sleepwalking not seeing a problem right under their nose.

Sent fra min SM-T535 via Tapatalk