Transfering Visa Requirement Money To Thailand

i was wondering if anyone could answer a quick question.

i am about to transfer the neccessary 400000 baht to thailand for the non imm O visa. i will be transferring it into a family members bank account and when we go over they will then transfer it into a bank account which i will set up when we get there. is that ok as it says that it must be from overseas

thanks

i was wondering if anyone could answer a quick question.

i am about to transfer the neccessary 400000 baht to thailand for the non imm O visa. i will be transferring it into a family members bank account and when we go over they will then transfer it into a bank account which i will set up when we get there. is that ok as it says that it must be from overseas

thanks

I wouldn't do it that way. Arrange with your banker to transfer when you give written instructions so to do once you arrive here and open a bank account. You need to evidence that your funds came from abroad, and it gets a bit murky if you use a third person

thank you for the quick reply

the thing is the exchange rate is so strong it is set up to do straight away. i have the document that says where it has come from and who it is going to so i am hoping it will be ok

thank you for the quick reply

the thing is the exchange rate is so strong it is set up to do straight away. i have the document that says where it has come from and who it is going to so i am hoping it will be ok

Keep all the documentation then, and take the relative to Immigration with you when you seek to extend your visa to corroberate your story. Bring all his info' regarding the transfer too.

Are you a currency trader? No, your a person who is trying to get an "O" visa. If it drops 5% by the time you get there you lose 20K Baht...and given current events few would bet on the baht gaining strength. Either way, I would'nt like to be going for a visa on the strength that the money I transferred into my brother-in-laws (whoever) account counted as the 400K transmitted from overseas.

Years ago it would be possible to arrange things like a transfer to an overseas branch of your bank for you to set up an account on arrival...that not possible now?

Lovecam -

You do not want to proceed with what you propose. You do want to come here first, open an account in your name only, and then transfer in the 400,000 baht from overseas - and (ideally) get a Thor Dtor 3 form.

The reason: If you do it as described above, you are totally unremarkable. Some low-level bureaucrat simply looks at each boring document, and ticks the checklist - when all blocks on the checklist are ticked, you are finished.

The key in Thailand is to be unremarkable and routine - so that the lowest bureaucrat can sign off on you.

If you do what you propose, your packet will have to be adjudicated by about a third-level supervisor - minimum. As a result, everything in your application will be scrutinized 100x. Plus, one way or another, high supervisor will want to be compensated for his trouble. This usually takes the form of throwing your application to the bottom of the heap and leaving it there until you come looking for it. They then communicate to you that moving your packet up in the heap will require payment of an "expedite fee".

Avoid sticking out. Be routine and boring. That's one key to having a happy life in Thailand.

Good luck.

Cheers!

Indo-Siam

As said by others and summed up by Indo-Siam do not do it the way you have outlined. The money, even if it were the original baht, did not come from overseas when it entered your account if you do it through a relative. Sending money to a relative counts for nothing. And would appear exactly (earned inside Thailand without tax payment) the kind of item they are trying to prevent.

You do not have to do this to obtain a visa. Once you arrive you have more than 60 days to obtain bank account and make the transfer(s). You can spread this transfer throughout the period if you are worried about exchange rates.

At this point you should set up at bank wire transfer agreement to have on file. Believe most banks will also allow telephone transfers and you set up a password for that.

As said by others and summed up by Indo-Siam do not do it the way you have outlined. The money, even if it were the original baht, did not come from overseas when it entered your account if you do it through a relative. Sending money to a relative counts for nothing. And would appear exactly (earned inside Thailand without tax payment) the kind of item they are trying to prevent.

You do not have to do this to obtain a visa. Once you arrive you have more than 60 days to obtain bank account and make the transfer(s). You can spread this transfer throughout the period if you are worried about exchange rates.

At this point you should set up at bank wire transfer agreement to have on file. Believe most banks will also allow telephone transfers and you set up a password for that.

Another way Lop is to apply for an O-A visa at home then the funds evidenced in the homeland bank suffice for the first one year. The transfer to the Thai bank can be done at any favourable currency exchange.

Make sure the your bank sends foreign currency!!

Some overseas banks like to do the conversion to baht, at their rate,

and then send you the baht.

Insist on foregn currency!! The Thai bank will do the conversion and you will have proof of where it came from.

allow plenty of time for the transfer too. I have money paid into a Bangkok bank account every month and it gets there fine, but previously I had money transferred from a UK bank to Siam Commercial and it disappeared for 3 weeks - according to the trace my bank did the money took a holiday in Singapore courtesy of Siam Commercial before actually getting to the bank account it was supposed to.

thanks everyone. can i ask another question. someone mentioned i should have an account in my own name. is that better than opening a joint account with my wife. also mentioned was a Thor Dtor 3 form. do i get that after the money has been transferred and from who?

thanks everyone. can i ask another question. someone mentioned i should have an account in my own name. is that better than opening a joint account with my wife. also mentioned was a Thor Dtor 3 form. do i get that after the money has been transferred and from who?
A joint account is fine and you can set it up so both parties have to sign for withdrawals if you like. It will not be a checking account but a passbook savings type and you can have atm card(s) with it.

Your passbook will show the funds are from a foreign source so that is no problem for this purpose. For buying a condo you need to have special paperwork to show.