Car owners unable to lock vehicles with their remote control keys at Chonburi department store

snoop1130

Car owners unable to lock vehicles with their remote control keys at Chonburi department store

17_08_07-13_28_49-1021x580.jpg

Police were called to a well known Chonburi department store in Samet district after many customers reported to security that they were unable to lock their cars yesterday.

The customers were unable to use their remote control keys and were anxious that their vehicles would be stolen by thieves.

Wana Noochom of Samet district police said they were looking into the possibility that thieves were responsible for jamming the signals in the area.

An investigation is underway.

Nothing was stolen on this occasion and as is customary in such cases the department store was not named.

Thaivisa notes that this is the third or fourth time this year that we have carried stories in Thailand about thieves possibly jamming the use of remote keys at parking lots nationwide.

Source: http://www.pattayanews.com/content/17624

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-8-7

Seems the criminals were not far. Not showing that they now of the situation and have some plain clothes police and a lot of cameras around   might have been a good idea. Are their ways to locate a jammer? Would work even better.

(Please forward to the police - so they might know, too :biggrin:)

Edited by sweatalot

12 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Seems the criminals were not far. Not showing that they now of the situation and have some plain clothes police and a lot of cameras around   might have been a good idea. Are their ways to locate a jammer? Would work even better.

(Please forward to the police - so they might know, too :biggrin:)

Yes you can locate jammers. You need a frequency scanner and it will find the signal and you can get the direction

11 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Some newer cars only comes with keyless and these cars are the ones targeted. 

I've always been doubtful about cars that dont have a key at all. What happens if the car battery and/or the key-fob battery fail?

At least with my car I can always open the door with the key and from that point I do stand a chance of getting the thing started with jump leads.

22 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I've always been doubtful about cars that dont have a key at all. What happens if the car battery and/or the key-fob battery fail?

At least with my car I can always open the door with the key and from that point I do stand a chance of getting the thing started with jump leads.

37 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Some newer cars only comes with keyless and these cars are the ones targeted. 

Keyless car usually have an emergency key hidden in remote

13 hours ago, billd766 said:

Of course you could always go low tech and lock the doors with the key.

Can't do it with my Mini Cooper. It's the remote or nothing.  Anyway, I'm sure the crooks are hoping someone won't notice their car didn't lock and that's their target. 

Just now, USNret said:

Can't do it with my Mini Cooper. It's the remote or nothing.  Anyway, I'm sure the crooks are hoping someone won't notice their car didn't lock and that's their target. 

Nothing to do with crooks. Remote control is a radio frequency, and a radio signal can get interference from many sources.

There are a few locations in Pattaya where I'm for years unable to lock my car by remote control, but I doubt a crook is sitting there for almost a decade already.

1 hour ago, bberrythailand said:

If some day you own a nice car you will know that some have no key but a hidden one for emergency...

So in truth, even keyless cars have keys. Why not use that to lock and unlock the doors?

So then if there's a hidden key somewhere on a "keyless car", mustn't there be a keyhole for it?  'Which 'sounds like it sort of defeats the idea of a "hidden key", doesn't it?

'Sorry - I guess it's time for a new car.  Mine's got keyless entry but can be locked & unlocked manually as well.   So I truly don't quite get what the whole "hidden key" thing is all about.

2 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

So then if there's a hidden key somewhere on a "keyless car", mustn't there be a keyhole for it?  'Which 'sounds like it sort of defeats the idea of a "hidden key", doesn't it?

'Sorry - I guess it's time for a new car.  Mine's got keyless entry but can be locked & unlocked manually as well.   So I truly don't quite get what the whole "hidden key" thing is all about.

Don't worry when driverless cars get here ( heaven forbid ) all this key no key messing about will become academic .. 

4 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

The key is hidden in the remote, the keyhole is visible (but i didn't find it at the first glance..).

1 hour ago, swissbie said:

The key is hidden in the remote, the keyhole is visible (but i didn't find it at the first glance..).

As Steve Tyler once put it " I got the right key baby but the wrong key hole an' I'm ready " ..  Anyone .?

12 hours ago, kwak250 said:

My car locks when I walk away but unlocks when I touch the door handle so I could be there for hours checking .

FYI in these new types of locks you can pull on the rear door if you have any to 'check' if the car has locked itself, there are usually no sensors to unlock the car in the rear doors

11 hours ago, bberrythailand said:

If some day you own a nice car you will know that some have no key but a hidden one for emergency...

I have a nice car now. It is a 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 pickup with 359,xxx km on the clock and still rattling along quite well. Simple to maintain, cheap to run and I have definitely had my moneys worth from it.

It all depends on what you cosider a nice car.

What you may consider a nice car, perhaps I may not and vice versa.

11 hours ago, bberrythailand said:

I do not need to check, if there is no sound it means that it's not locked. As easy as this.

Mine makes no sound apart from the noise of the locks locking, which is exactly the same sound as the locks unlocking. So it would be silly of me to rely on that as it could be either sound. And in some situations (traffic) the sound cant be heard anyway.

So I just test the handle. It's the only 100% reliable solution I know of.