SWIFT code question

Wire transfer from Thailand to U.S. Bank but they have several different codes, depending on state, city, however my city is not listed. Am I right to assume using the one nearest my branch?

SWIFT Code / BIC USBKUS44SEA Bank / Institution U.S. BANK Branch Name (SEATTLE INTERNATIONAL DEPARTMENT) Address 1420 5TH AVENUE, PD-WA-T9IN City SEATTLE,WA Postcode 98101

I realize this is probably a stupid question, but I don’t want to make any mistakes.

Any help is much appreciated

Kidd

- SWIFT codes are normally 8 letters (all capital letters, no numerals.)

- one SWIFT code per bank, not per branch

-strongly suggest you contact the head office of your bank, or check their website, to confirm the code before sending money

- many normal employees of ordinary bank branches have never heard of a "SWIFT code".

^^^Okay, thanks for that. I did find this on their website, it appears to be the SWIFT/BIC for all incoming international wire transfers, however a mix of 11 letters and numerals.

U.S. Bank SWIFT code for incoming wire transfers

If you're receiving an international wire transfer payment, you'll need to:

• Provide the sender name as it appears on your account
  • Provide your account number
  • Provide the U.S. Bank SWIFT code: USBKUS44IMT

As mentioned above, check your bank's website or call the HQ group that handles inbound wires to get the correct information. For example, Bank of America lists 2 SWIFT codes on their website - one for inbound wires in USD, and 1 for other currencies. They also list the bank street address to be used for each on the wire transmittal. Your bank should be able to provide the same.

An 8-character SWIFT code identifies an individual institution.  A further, optional 3 characters are used to identify a branch.

In this case, the bank identifier is USBKUS44, and the SEA at the end identifies the Seattle branch.

It should be safe to send to the 8-character USBKUS44, Head Office in Minneapolis.  They'll deal with your transfer from there.

Alternatively, contact your bank for advice.

The bank you are sending the mobey to will have it's own iinternational code.

send a message to your bnk in the USA or if it is to another persons account and ask for the full address dtails for the transfer. 

The main code you want is the banks SWIFT CODE. This also identifies the Bank Group, the individual branch and where they are.

The money first goes to the main HQ branch and they then send it to the particular branch.

Phoned US Bank this morning. The proper code is: USBKUS44IMT (international money transfer) and the address is the branch I opened my account with.

Probably works somewhat different with all banks but this is the proper information for U.S. Bank.

Thanks all for your input

Kidd

On 8/8/2017 at 3:38 PM, Oxx said:

An 8-character SWIFT code identifies an individual institution.  A further, optional 3 characters are used to identify a branch.

In this case, the bank identifier is USBKUS44, and the SEA at the end identifies the Seattle branch.

It should be safe to send to the 8-character USBKUS44, Head Office in Minneapolis.  They'll deal with your transfer from there.

Alternatively, contact your bank for advice.

Quite correct.

Here in Thailand personal accounts only have the 8 character code, 11 character codes are at the moment only used on business accounts.

When transferring into Thailand into Thailand, my bank now requires the 8 character code to be extended to 11 characters using 000 for the branch. Could be that 8 character codes may be phased out.