U.S. congresswoman confident Guam protected from North Korea threat

webfact

U.S. congresswoman confident Guam protected from North Korea threat

tag-reuters-1.jpg

Navy vessels are moored in port at the U.S. Naval Base Guam at Apra Harbor, Guam March 5, 2016. Major Jeff Landis,USMC (Ret.)/Naval Base Guam/Handout/File Photo via REUTERS

GUAM (Reuters) - The Congresswoman for the U.S. Pacific territory of Guam on Wednesday said she was confident U.S. forces could protect it from the "deeply troubling" North Korean nuclear threat.

Madeleine Z. Bordallo called on President Donald Trump to show "steady leadership" and work with the international community to de-escalate tensions and stop North Korea advancing its weapons programme.

"Guam remains safe, and I am confident in the ability of U.S. defences to protect our island and allies in the region," Bordallo said in a statement.

(Reporting by Maureen N. Maratita; Writing by Martin Petty; Editing by Stephen Coates)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-09

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Kim will not fire the first shot even though Trump will do his best to push him into it.

Your assumption relies on Kim's previous actions and on the hope that he will read the situation correctly. What if he doesn't? Blame Trump. Funny how Trump is alternately described as incompetent, lacking in attention span, unfocused - and then, when it fits he can suddenly play geopolitical poker with the likes of Kim. Right.

9 minutes ago, Morch said:

Your assumption relies on Kim's previous actions and on the hope that he will read the situation correctly. What if he doesn't? Blame Trump. Funny how Trump is alternately described as incompetent, lacking in attention span, unfocused - and then, when it fits he can suddenly play geopolitical poker with the likes of Kim. Right.

No. Simply that Kim has consistently said that he would retaliate IF attacked.  He is nuts but not that nuts. 

2 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

No. Simply that Kim has consistently said that he would retaliate IF attacked.  He is nuts but not that nuts. 

Again, that's putting a whole lot of faith in Kim keeping his course, even under extremely stressful conditions. What happens if mistakenly thinks NK is under attack?

15 minutes ago, Morch said:

Again, that's putting a whole lot of faith in Kim keeping his course, even under extremely stressful conditions. What happens if mistakenly thinks NK is under attack?

I am not underestimating the seriousness of this and for sure Trump will push Kim as far as he can to get a response.  Kim could easily make that mistake and if Trump was to just calm down and stop the rhetoric maybe that would ease the tension.  Someone needs to be the grownup here but I won't hold my breath.

37 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I am not underestimating the seriousness of this and for sure Trump will push Kim as far as he can to get a response.  Kim could easily make that mistake and if Trump was to just calm down and stop the rhetoric maybe that would ease the tension.  Someone needs to be the grownup here but I won't hold my breath.

Is Kim being pushed or is he goading Trump into pushing him? Sometimes hard to tell the difference.

With you on the last sentence, not these two. Perhaps time for Putin to earn some international credit at Trump's expense.

3 hours ago, ThailandLOS said:

Pitty - would have loved to see NK shoot it to pieces. US has no business in this part of the world - or anywhere else outside its borders for that matter.

Oh, that's really nice. Guam is a US possession in which 150,000 civilians are US citizens/civilians.

Not a cool situation.  Now the millennials will now how us old farts felt in the 60-70-80's. 

I guess there are 10-20,000 sticks of conventional artillery pointing towards SK.   Nukes and MOAB can't knock even a small % of those out.  

But would the front line troups really want to fight for a country they see go up in a  1000 mushroom clouds behind them?    I am thinking it would be wise to watch for favorable winds aloft forecasts. I guess it depends on which countries we want to dust with the first passes of the radioactive plume that will circle the earth for decades. 

Edited by Elkski

10 hours ago, Morch said:

I agree with poster dunroaming, Kim boy will not be the first to fire a shot.

He is nuts but so is Trump.

Trump is the more dangerous one and itching to push the red button just to see what will happen.

Stamping his foot like a preschooler in a fight.:bah:

42 minutes ago, bandito said:

I agree with poster dunroaming, Kim boy will not be the first to fire a shot.

He is nuts but so is Trump.

Trump is the more dangerous one and itching to push the red button just to see what will happen.

Stamping his foot like a preschooler in a fight.:bah:

We'll be standing by for more of your insightful predictions.

11 hours ago, Ruffian Dick said:

Yep, we stole it fair and square. :sleep:

You may recall a little thing called the Japanese invasion of most of East Asia and half of the Pacific Ocean. Recall the Rape of Nanjing, the Bataan Death March, and the bloody battle island by island across the Pacific. It wasn't stolen, but, like American Samoa, it wasn't simply left. After what happened, if I were the US gov't in 1945 I would also have made the strategic decision to stay there. By the way, don't the Guam people have the right to independence if they vote for it, like Puerto Rico does?

18 hours ago, thehelmsman said:

We'll be standing by for more of your insightful predictions.

Trump fan, huh?

The world is holding its breath for what this nutcase decides to do.

Here is a good read about what will happen in case of a nuclear war.

It's a book, "On the beach", find it on Google if there still is time.

Or find some info about Hiroshima and Nagasaki, WWII.:hit-the-fan:

If on the 19th kim fires 4 missiles at Guam depending on where they land. If they have warheads. And how close to the actual Island.  Then the US would have a reason for a measured proportionate response.  If NK does not fire the Missiles.  Then I expect Trump like the School Yard Thug he is to Goad KIm for being Chicken Shit. Where As it would be a good Opportunity for the US President to simply say Kim has made a wise decision to back down on that issue.

Following that is the time the Russians and Chinese could make Brownie points by negotiating a further deescalation .  ATM it is just just sabre rattling and two Boys trying to show how big and shiney their marbles are