Marijuana use holds three-fold blood pressure death risk: study

webfact

Marijuana use holds three-fold blood pressure death risk: study

By Kate Kelland

tag-reuters.jpg

A man rolls a cannabis cigarette during the Expo Weed event in Santiago, Chile, November 27, 2015. REUTERS/Pablo Sanhueza/Files

LONDON (Reuters) - People who smoke marijuana have a three times greater risk of dying from hypertension, or high blood pressure, than those who have never used the drug, scientists said on Wednesday.

The risk grows with every year of use, they said.

The findings, from a study of some 1,200 people, could have implications in the United States among other countries. Several states have legalised marijuana and others are moving towards it. It is decriminalised in a number of other countries.

"Support for liberal marijuana use is partly due to claims that it is beneficial and possibly not harmful to health," said Barbara Yankey, who co-led the research at the school of public health at Georgia State University in the United States.

"It is important to establish whether any health benefits outweigh the potential health, social and economic risks. If marijuana use is implicated in cardiovascular diseases and deaths, then it rests on the health community and policy makers to protect the public."

Marijuana is also sometimes used for medicinal purposes, such as for glaucoma.

The study, published in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, was a retrospective follow-up study of 1,213 people aged 20 or above who had been involved in a large and ongoing National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. In 2005–2006, they were asked if they had ever used marijuana.

For Yankey's study, information on marijuana use was merged with mortality data in 2011 from the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics, and adjusted for confounding factors such as tobacco smoking and variables including sex, age and ethnicity.

The average duration of use among users of marijuana, or cannabis, was 11.5 years.

The results showed marijuana users had a 3.42-times higher risk of death from hypertension than non-users, and a 1.04 greater risk for each year of use.

There was no link between marijuana use and dying from heart or cerebrovascular diseases such as strokes.

Yankey said were limitations in the way marijuana use was assessed -- including that researchers could not be sure whether people had used the drug continuously since they first tried it.

But she said the results chimed with plausible risks, since marijuana is known to affect the cardiovascular system.

"Marijuana stimulates the sympathetic nervous system, leading to increases in heart rate, blood pressure and oxygen demand," she said.

Experts not directly involved in the study said its findings would need to be replicated, but already raised concerns.

"Despite the widely held view that cannabis is benign, this research adds to previous work suggesting otherwise," said Ian Hamilton, a lecturer in mental health at Britain's York University.

(Reporting by Kate Kelland, editing by Jeremy Gaunt)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-09

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

It is indeed scary stuff that you can have a very nasty reaction to, for frankly very little benefit/pleasure. 

We all differ, I smoked ganja most weeks for approx 25 years on average 2/3 sessions a week, after work etc. For a number of reasons I found dope very pleasurable.

Edited by simple1

47 minutes ago, webfact said:

The results showed marijuana users had a 3.42-times higher risk of death from hypertension than non-users, and a 1.04 greater risk for each year of use.

Where are those risk-studies about my 12-to-14-hours-working days published?

14 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

It is indeed scary stuff that you can have a very nasty reaction to, for frankly very little benefit/pleasure. 

And then when people drive cars it's even more scary.   (Assuming they can find their car)

I derive far more pleasure from weed then from alcohol, the effects of alcohol on health are far worse too. 

The only reason I don't use it (and it being illegal here) is that it kills my diet.. all restraint food wise is gone after smoking. 

33 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

And then when people drive cars it's even more scary.   (Assuming they can find their car)

You have obviously never smoked it, you're wrong on all counts.

Don't know how legit this study is, but it's going to be taken as gospel by Sessions et al.  The AG already hates pot and is just trying to find a way to kill it, to heck with what the states want.  The thing is, there are already many more substances that are arguably worse than pot but are legal, e.g., alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, etc.  Yes, go ahead and publish your findings about "possible" health risks.  But how about a little freedom for the citizens to choose?

13 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

You have obviously never smoked it, you're wrong on all counts.

If that is wrong on all counts, then it must affect different people in different ways. Many years ago I had a girlfriend who was a pothead.  I wasn't a user but I had a couple puffs from hers. I stopped a traffic light and when the guy behind me honked his horn, The light had turned green, I had no idea where I was at or which way to go.

I'd have high blood pressure, too if I was constantly worried about getting tossed in the hoosegow for using, or even possessing something.   And I imagine the effect would be cumulative over the years.

But on a more serious note, this sounds like a sponsored work either by Big Tobacco, Big Beer or Big Pharma.  I can think of a hundred reasons people prone to high blood pressure may be more likely to smoke pot, and people who smoke pot are likely to be the same people with health problems that had nothing to do with the weed.  

Just like people who go to hospitals more often are more likely to be sick.  Yet, I don't see anyone pointing at the hospitals.

And regardless, perhaps the safer choice between marijuana and nothing is nothing.  But as an alternative to alcohol for unwinding at the end of a day, it's probably 1/10 as hazardous.  The list of maladies proven to be directly caused by drinking alcohol makes elevated blood pressure look pretty benign.

BTW, I don't drink, smoke, nor blow weed if anyone is thinking I've got a dog in the fight.  I do believe the war on weed has ruined more lives, broken up more families and ended more promising careers than smoking it ever did- or ever will.  (Unless Monsanto comes up with a hybrid or GMO weed that they can poison us with and make $$ billions)

31 minutes ago, Gary A said:

If that is wrong on all counts, then it must affect different people in different ways. Many years ago I had a girlfriend who was a pothead.  I wasn't a user but I had a couple puffs from hers. I stopped a traffic light and when the guy behind me honked his horn, The light had turned green, I had no idea where I was at or which way to go.

You were a none user and had a couple of puffs? not really a sensible comparison don't you think? ''non user''.

50 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

You were a none user and had a couple of puffs? not really a sensible comparison don't you think? ''non user''.

I have nothing against it. It just doesn't agree with my idea of recreation. A very good friend of mine, yes, right here in Thailand is a heavy user. I smoke cigarettes and drink. He smokes pot and drinks. I did ask him if he was afraid of getting busted. He said that he was sure the cop he buys it from would warn him.

3 hours ago, simple1 said:

We all differ, I smoked ganja most weeks for approx 25 years on average 2/3 sessions a week, after work etc. For a number of reasons I found dope very pleasurable.

Me too, maybe even more.  This is just more fake news as Trump would put it.

I cannot help noticing how these so called medical experts NEVER mention alcohol which in my opinion is 10 times deadlier.  Though I also drink as well.  Anyone who has ever studied statistics knows just how rubbery these figures always are.

For comparison, let's see a report of risk-assessment of the following.....

>>>>  ingesting sugar-laden products

>>>>  trans-fats

>>>>  alcoholic drinks

>>>>  living a city with a lot of traffic

>>>>  residing next to a plastics factory

>>>>  residing in a house with no proper venting for plumbing.

>>>>  sleeping in a bed with dust mites. Very few beds/pillows/bedding are mite-free. Some have up to 200,000/per sq.inch.

an article about mites in bedding;  nytimes.com/2011/03/05/health/05patient.html

Edited by boomerangutang

4 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Sounds like the big pharma fight back to me, from the university of Georgia, home of the redkneck.

Georgia State (not the same as University of Georgia, Athens) is in downtown Atlanta. Hardly redneck. It's a RESEARCH oriented university. 

Diversity

Georgia State University is the most ethnically diverse college in Georgia and one of the most ethnically diverse in the country. Georgia State has been recognized for being one of the top producers of degrees awarded to African-Americans, Hispanics, and Asians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_State_University

Edited by Jingthing

I'm really surprised cannabis is associated with high blood pressure. Definitely deserves more research. The only bad thing I've know about it is it causing paranoia and also some developmental issues if used in excess for long periods by youth. 

16 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

For comparison, let's see a report of risk-assessment of the following.....

>>>>  ingesting sugar-laden products

>>>>  trans-fats

>>>>  alcoholic drinks

>>>>  living a city with a lot of traffic

>>>>  residing next to a plastics factory

>>>>  residing in a house with no proper venting for plumbing.

>>>>  sleeping in a bed with dust mites. Very few beds/pillows/bedding are mite-free. Some have up to 200,000/per sq.inch.

an article about mites in bedding;  nytimes.com/2011/03/05/health/05patient.html

Too much of anything is likely not good for your health. Everything in moderation, including pot is not going to kill your health. You can be killed in an accident anytime. Just crossing the street here in Thailand is dangerous not to even mention motorbikes. I'm comfortable to eat, drink or smoke whatever I like.

That's strange, all the previous studies said that it increased heart rate and DECREASED both systolic and diastolic pressure.

I'm always suspicious of studies that have the opposite results of numerous other studies done  by reputable organizations. 

The study said there NO increase in deaths by stroke or heart attack, only an increased risk of death by hypertension. 

People don't die from hypertension, the can die from the results of hypertension. 

Most people have their blood pressure checked at least once a year and almost everyone diagnosed with hypertension take their anti hypertensives so their BP is normal so the point of the article is moot. 

4 hours ago, Golgota said:

Funny thing : this study contradicts one which say regular users are less enclined to hypertension and stress during stress situation

That older study is very true and supported by lots of others. Pot use lowers blood pressure (re studies of THC and glaucoma) 

Just now, trihent said:

That older study is very true and supported by lots of others. Pot use lowers blood pressure (re studies of THC and glaucoma) 

That's eye pressure. It's not the same thing as blood pressure. I have an open mind about all of this. I'm feeling that if this same study concluded pot causes strong erections, people would be saying, cool! But it's something negative so it's got to be a conspiracy theory. 

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's eye pressure. It's not the same thing as blood pressure. I have an open mind about all of this. I'm feeling that if this same study concluded pot causes strong erections, people would be saying, cool! But it's something negative so it's got to be a conspiracy theory. 

Its eye pressure sure. But over all blood pressure is an important factor. I can look up the study-s if you e me