Traveling with Bicycle and not getting hit for duty

TT2

I brought a used mountain bike into Thailand about 4 years ago. I plan on taking it with me to the U.S. and returning with the bike after 3 weeks. Is there a document I need to let customs know that I had this bike in Thailand already? I don't want to pay duty fees on something that I'm simply traveling with.

You're not in a strong negotiating position if it goes wrong at the airport. Is it costing you nothing to transport it? My cheap ($300 new) mountain bike weighs 17kg, so I'd never move it. I was with someone who managed a rueful grin, and took it on the chin, when he was made to pay $100 for a load of frozen fish he'd caught in Alaska and was bringing into Thailand. Pensioners get six months to being stuff in, obviously. Tourists have to have what they entered with when they leave. But even if there's a process are you certain you want to put yourself through it? 

http://webportal.atlasintl.com/Customs Docs/thailand.pdf

I've have brought use mountain bikes back and forth a number of times through the years. I just pack it in a use bike box called up the airline (Eva) and inform them of the dimension never had a problem in or out, never been questioned. Just a look and a stare.

1 minute ago, inThailand said:

If the bicycle is brand new, unassembled in the original box on a flight into LOS, would this be a customs tax problem?

I've never done that.My guess is most likely not, as long as it is only one.But I have brought in brand new looking ones, and there was no problem.To make sure, just take it out of the box and assemble it before you go through customs.

7 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

I've never done that.My guess is most likely not, as long as it is only one.But I have brought in brand new looking ones, and there was no problem.To make sure, just take it out of the box and assemble it before you go through customs.

Thks!  

New upper end brand name bikes are well over priced here, so buying one off the shelf and bringing it in seems like a good idea.

1 hour ago, thecyclist said:

No duty on a bicycle per passenger, new or old.I have entered and left Thailand with bicycle both overland and by air maybe a hundred times.It has never been an issue.Just make sure what, if anything, the airline charges. 

That is great news. Thank you!

1 hour ago, inThailand said:

If the bicycle is brand new, unassembled in the original box on a flight into LOS, would this be a customs tax problem?

I have rarely seen a new bike fully unassembled?  Normally the handle bar is detached and turn to fit the box, the pedals and front wheel is removed.

Personally, since the bike doesn't exceed 50 lbs, I usually throw some clothes etc.  into the box too.

20 hours ago, Craig krup said:

You're not in a strong negotiating position if it goes wrong at the airport. Is it costing you nothing to transport it? My cheap ($300 new) mountain bike weighs 17kg, so I'd never move it. I was with someone who managed a rueful grin, and took it on the chin, when he was made to pay $100 for a load of frozen fish he'd caught in Alaska and was bringing into Thailand. Pensioners get six months to being stuff in, obviously. Tourists have to have what they entered with when they leave. But even if there's a process are you certain you want to put yourself through it? 

http://webportal.atlasintl.com/Customs Docs/thailand.pdf

so, what you are saying is you havent the slightest clue.

1 hour ago, HooHaa said:

Not quite. 

I'm saying that the question is predicated - based - on the assumption that 1) what people have experienced, and 2) what the rule says, is what will happen. But - as this forum proves a hundred times a day - what has happened and what should happen are very imperfect guides in Thailand, and while that's one issue when you're taking a rice cooker back, or getting divorced, it's another issue when you're standing air-side. 

They should take your rice cooker back and they did take someone else's rice cooker back! Hey, you can throw it away. It's only a rice cooker. 

The judge should have dismissed this application by your wife, and the judges did do this in the cases of other forum members. Hey, there are appeal courts and lawyer time isn't that expensive.

Customs and immigration should take this view of your knackered and plainly used bike and did take that view of the bikes of other forum users. So ******g what? You're standing air-side, and you don't have a leg to stand on. You're like someone trying to argue about the price of bog roll and Imodium in the middle of Chad with the sh1t pouring down your legs. 

That's what I'm saying. I do appreciate that for some people you couldn't possibly say that in sufficiently express terms.  

16 minutes ago, inThailand said:

My experience these long ass winded posts is because they have never done it.

Thank you guys who actually have done it!

And what's worse is that some of these morons think that a reasonable answer to the question of how you should do something is that you shouldn't!! The idiots!!!!!

This was this guy who said, "I'm looking to pick a fight with a Muay Thai champion. I'm a fat, weak waste of space who couldn't fight sleep, but I really fancy this. Do you think I should slap him in front of his wife and kids, or in front of his parents and siblings?"

Would you believe there was this idiot who thought the whole thing was a bad idea!!!!:smile:

[The rules say, "All toys, sporting goods, office equipment & documents, luxury items such as chinaware and silverware are subject to duty".]

Edited by Craig krup

2 hours ago, Craig krup said:

Not quite. 

I'm saying that the question is predicated - based - on the assumption that 1) what people have experienced, and 2) what the rule says, is what will happen. But - as this forum proves a hundred times a day - what has happened and what should happen are very imperfect guides in Thailand, and while that's one issue when you're taking a rice cooker back, or getting divorced, it's another issue when you're standing air-side. 

They should take your rice cooker back and they did take someone else's rice cooker back! Hey, you can throw it away. It's only a rice cooker. 

The judge should have dismissed this application by your wife, and the judges did do this in the cases of other forum members. Hey, there are appeal courts and lawyer time isn't that expensive.

Customs and immigration should take this view of your knackered and plainly used bike and did take that view of the bikes of other forum users. So ******g what? You're standing air-side, and you don't have a leg to stand on. You're like someone trying to argue about the price of bog roll and Imodium in the middle of Chad with the sh1t pouring down your legs. 

That's what I'm saying. I do appreciate that for some people you couldn't possibly say that in sufficiently express terms.  

hmmm craig,  thanks for coming out . 

op if you are worried take the wheels or bike out of the box and run them through some light mud. - instant used bike.

what craig seems to overlook with his rice cooker and legal analogy is that we are talking about sports equipment and people are allowed to travel with their new kite surf rig/wake board/skis/golf clubs and in fact often purchase new equipment for trips without hassle the world over.

take your bike, you will have no problems either entering or leaving the kingdom, leave craig to worry about the what if - ill be riding.

Edited by HooHaa

1 hour ago, HooHaa said:

op if you are worried take the wheels or bike out of the box and run them through some light mud. - instant used bike.

what craig seems to overlook with his rice cooker and legal analogy is that we are talking about sports equipment and people are allowed to travel with their new kite surf rig/wake board/skis/golf clubs and in fact often purchase new equipment for trips without hassle the world over.

take your bike, you will have no problems either entering or leaving the kingdom, leave craig to worry about the what if - ill be riding.

Yeah, but the poster says "I brought a used mountain bike into Thailand about 4 years ago". Why would you put yourself through it? I know, I know: you want to ride your bike. I suppose it's possible that this bike that was used four years ago is nevertheless worth a fortune. My perfectly functional Trek aluminium mountain bike, however, with Shimano components is worth the square root of **** all. You could hardly give it away. To the states and back with (probably) a pretty shagged bike, for three weeks? Why? 

I have never had to pay any import TAX or duty until recently one incident (see below) in July with speakers in a box. The day in July I think they had an operation in effect, pulling aside many people. They even had nice English speaking University students to help with the fleecing. I think it was just my bad luck. This month I brought even a bigger speaker box to Suvarabhumi, no problem.

This is over about 10 years furnished a whole Condo. Many items brought from abroad, flying in almost monthly. I always arrive from Japan at about the same time of afternoon. Including 4 or 5 bicycles new and lightly used to BKK and even direct to Chiang Mai (have a reputation for strict customs checks) via KE from Incheon.  I don't think you will have a problem but once they got you in their sights,  you have no choice but to pay. More and more people seem to be traveling with bikes. Here in Chiang Mai has attracted tribes of youtube internet vegans (unfortunately) , all on nice bikes.

Edited by Dipterocarp

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:18 PM, HooHaa said:

No one does.

Like everything, what happened before is not a guide to what may happen tomorrow.

I always prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:39 PM, HooHaa said:

Paying duty or whatever probably has zero to do with how old or used the item is. People been in LOS longer than 5 minutes should know to what I refer.

On 8/15/2017 at 0:12 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

No one does.

Like everything, what happened before is not a guide to what may happen tomorrow.

I always prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.

i can tell you what happened yesterday,and i cleared customs at bkk without issue for perhaps the hundredth time.

personally ill continue to bow to precedent.

1 hour ago, HooHaa said:

i can tell you what happened yesterday,and i cleared customs at bkk without issue for perhaps the hundredth time.

personally ill continue to bow to precedent.

It's a fair view. "What's the maximum downside multiplied by the probability?" So the worse that could happen is I pay $100, and it looks less than a one in a hundred chance. So providing I don't consider $100 to be catastrophic it's nothing to worry about.

The only issues around that piece of reasoning are, i) some things have very ill-defined values - bikes versus silver dollars, and ii) you're in a terrible position arguing with a customs bureaucracy. 

In this particular case - what's involved? 1) Box it? Partially deflate tires, turn handlebars, lower saddle, remove pedals? 2) Get it to the airport. 3) Perhaps wait longer to get it at the other end. 4) Perhaps argue if they've bust it. 5) Get it from the airport. 6) Unbox it, reverse sequence pedals, tires, etc. Ride. Three weeks. 6) Box it, do "1" again. 7) Get it to the airport. 8) Perhaps wait longer at the other end. Possibly interact with customs. Perhaps argue if they've bust it. 9) Get it from the airport. 10) Reverse  "1" again. 

Now I know that some airlines internally make it easy - the whole bike just goes. I also know that some international flights have hard cases, and what you need to do to the bike might not be much. But Jesus, is it worth it? 

1 hour ago, Craig krup said:

It's a fair view. "What's the maximum downside multiplied by the probability?" So the worse that could happen is I pay $100, and it looks less than a one in a hundred chance. So providing I don't consider $100 to be catastrophic it's nothing to worry about.

The only issues around that piece of reasoning are, i) some things have very ill-defined values - bikes versus silver dollars, and ii) you're in a terrible position arguing with a customs bureaucracy. 

In this particular case - what's involved? 1) Box it? Partially deflate tires, turn handlebars, lower saddle, remove pedals? 2) Get it to the airport. 3) Perhaps wait longer to get it at the other end. 4) Perhaps argue if they've bust it. 5) Get it from the airport. 6) Unbox it, reverse sequence pedals, tires, etc. Ride. Three weeks. 6) Box it, do "1" again. 7) Get it to the airport. 8) Perhaps wait longer at the other end. Possibly interact with customs. Perhaps argue if they've bust it. 9) Get it from the airport. 10) Reverse  "1" again. 

Now I know that some airlines internally make it easy - the whole bike just goes. I also know that some international flights have hard cases, and what you need to do to the bike might not be much. But Jesus, is it worth it? 

i travel with the bike in a hockey bag. wheels removed,  handle bars removed,  forks dropped out, seatpost pulled. bike is wrapped in towels to avoid scratching and everything is zip tied so it doesn't move around.

process takes about 15 mins to disassemble, reassembly is the same.  Granted i have been doing this for years.

this is what inspired me to this method, not to beat fees, because in my experience most airlines dont levy them, i just like the method and it doesnt involve boxes or bulky bike boxes or carriers.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/fly-cheap-with-your-bike-mitch-chubey-2010.html

i identify my bike as a bike during check in. 

bike is dropped off at oversize luggage and appears at oversize on the other side, i will admit i have had to wait up to 30 mins to collect it.

my hockey/duffel bag is also wheeled.

as a side note i have also been travelling with wakeboards and surfboards for years and never had an issue. 

As for it not being worth it,  in sports like surfing, wake boarding, kite surfing, golf etc. it is important to use your own gear for performance and comfort reasons. it is far easier to travel with your own kit than to source and relearn the characteristics of new kit on the other side. 

Edited by HooHaa

11 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

i travel with the bike in a hockey bag. wheels removed,  handle bars removed,  forks dropped out, seatpost pulled. bike is wrapped in towels to avoid scratching and everything is zip tied so it doesn't move around.

process takes about 15 mins to disassemble, reassembly is the same.  Granted i have been doing this for years.

this is what inspired me to this method, not to beat fees, because in my experience most airlines dont levy them, i just like the method and it doesnt involve boxes or bulky bike boxes or carriers.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/fly-cheap-with-your-bike-mitch-chubey-2010.html

i identify my bike as a bike during check in. 

bike is dropped off at oversize luggage and appears at oversize on the other side, i will admit i have had to wait up to 30 mins to collect it.

my hockey/duffel bag is also wheeled.

as a side note i have also been travelling with wakeboards and surfboards for years and never had an issue. 

As for it not being worth it,  in sports like surfing, wake boarding, kite surfing, golf etc. it is important to use your own gear for performance and comfort reasons. it is far easier to travel with your own kit than to source and relearn the characteristics of new kit on the other side. 

Interesting. I'd love to have my own bike when I traveled. I'll bet it dramatically reduces culture shock. As small-wheeled bikes go Bromptons, Moultons and Stridas are okay, but a small-wheeled folding bike is never really going to be any good for a big rider who's trying to cane it, particularly if there's any chance that you'll put a wheel in a hole and rip the whole thing off. So it needs to be a full-size bike, hiring one's expensive, moving one's a ballache...

Mind you, I've never had any patience when it comes to things like this. It's a thought, though. I'm reasonably strong for an old man - I've got torque - so a single speed (say 75 inch gear) with a freewheel, short basic bars and (maybe) only a front brake might be light, simple and not too grubby for packing. I know that folk will say that you need a back brake if it's not a fixie, but I think all your real braking power is in the front. Years ago I climbed the Campsies (north of Glasgow, Scotland) seated on a 52x13. I don't think Doi Suthep or something similar would be possible now. There's a project - "Ultimate 700C travel bike. Seven kg, a nylon belt drive...." 

6 minutes ago, Craig krup said:

Interesting. I'd love to have my own bike when I traveled. I'll bet it dramatically reduces culture shock. As small-wheeled bikes go Bromptons, Moultons and Stridas are okay, but a small-wheeled folding bike is never really going to be any good for a big rider who's trying to cane it, particularly if there's any chance that you'll put a wheel in a hole and rip the whole thing off. So it needs to be a full-size bike, hiring one's expensive, moving one's a ballache...

Mind you, I've never had any patience when it comes to things like this. It's a thought, though. I'm reasonably strong for an old man - I've got torque - so a single speed (say 75 inch gear) with a freewheel, short basic bars and (maybe) only a front brake might be light, simple and not too grubby for packing. I know that folk will say that you need a back brake if it's not a fixie, but I think all your real braking power is in the front. Years ago I climbed the Campsies (north of Glasgow, Scotland) seated on a 52x13. I don't think Doi Suthep or something similar would be possible now. There's a project - "Ultimate 700C travel bike. Seven kg, a nylon belt drive...." 

the majority of braking as you said is on the front,  but back brake is vital for course corrections and finer control. 

700c is bit tough for bagging it as it were,i gererally travel with my 26 inch mountain bike, but i do bring the 27.5 (650b) when the destination merits. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2017 at 5:39 PM, HooHaa said:

I made it back through customs without incident. The customs officer simply asked me what was in the box. I told him 'bicycle' and smiled. He waved me through.

On 8/10/2017 at 7:19 PM, Craig krup said:

Yeah, but the poster says "I brought a used mountain bike into Thailand about 4 years ago". Why would you put yourself through it? I know, I know: you want to ride your bike. I suppose it's possible that this bike that was used four years ago is nevertheless worth a fortune. My perfectly functional Trek aluminium mountain bike, however, with Shimano components is worth the square root of **** all. You could hardly give it away. To the states and back with (probably) a pretty shagged bike, for three weeks? Why? 

Here's why: To the states with a meticulously maintained Ibis Mojo SL-R carbon bike. Sold it for $1500. Returned with a barely used Ibis Mojo 3 with carbon everything that retailed for about $7500 last year. Assembled it last night, rode it this morning. Funnest bike I've ever been on. Now...if you can even ORDER that same bike at any shop in Thailand I'd be amazed and the price would be stunning to say the least.

3 hours ago, TT2 said:

I made it back through customs without incident. The customs officer simply asked me what was in the box. I told him 'bicycle' and smiled. He waved me through.

good to hear.  though i never suspected the result would be different.