Glyphosate and Roundup

cooked

... aren't the same thing. I am convinced after reading various articles, that the problem with Roundup is the additives that turn Glyphosate into Roundup and make it more effective. I only ever once resorted to buying the more expensive Roundup in a particularly obstinate weed infestation.

Anyway, here's the article:

https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/cancer-committee-under-siege-over-glyphosate/3007631.article

Please try to read it without going into knee jerk mode as I managed to.

I use Glyphosate as little as possible, but have no hesitation when I find it necessary.

I'm with you, as little as possible, but when you need an effective, affordable, systemic herbicide, there is nothing quite like it.  

If it was all that toxic, I would have been dead a long time ago. (I haven't even had a cold or flu for 30 years.)  I've been using it since it came out, I think in the early 1980s, mostly for tree removals and cut stump treatment, so the stump and roots are killed and the stump doesn't resprout. 

There are different formulations of Monsanto's Round Up brand herbicide. In the US, RoundUP Pro Max is the latest and greatest with the most effective surfactants. It's the surfactants that facilitate penetration through the waxy cuticle of plants, when you are using glyphosate for a foliar application. If you are not using it for foliar application, then you don't need the surfactants, like cut-stump treatment. In that case you can use generic glyphosate. And in fact when you need the surfactant for tough waxy cuticle plants, you can add your own surfactant, like Brandt MSO (modified seed oil). (Not sure if this is available in Thailand.)

I would be more concerned about toxicity from unknown surfactants and other additives in generic herbicides from China or India, than I would about RoundUp brand, which is highly tested and regulated. 

• 6 months later...

Archived