Thailand steadily slipping behind its neighbours

webfact

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

In California, for $35 you can get an exceptional bottle of chardonnay. For $30-50 I get single vineyard pinots that are life changers. 

Thailand could do alot better. One of the chief reasons that really high end tourists have essentially abandoned Thailand, is the fact that the wine service and selection is so poor, and the industry is so bereft. 

I was at a high end Italian restaurant recently, at Em Quartier. Called Bella Rocca. I was with a group of friends. We decided to order a bottle of wine. I inquired about a specific wine, and the waitress knew nothing. I asked if she could get the manager or the sommelier to come over, and offer me some advice on the wine choice. She said there was NODBOY in the restaurant that knew ANYTHING about any of the wine. I just did not know what to say. So, I picked one of the Chianti wines, that was on the list. It was a 2011. She said all they had was 2015. I picked another. It was a 2009. Again, only 2015. We are talking about 3,000 baht bottles. I asked why don't they revise the list? No response. Finally, I turned to our group, and suggested we leave, and find an adequate restaurant that took some pride in what they did. Please avoid this charlatan of an Italian restaurant. 

...and then?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The others broke the laws of the land as did Thaksin when he quit in 2006  and a few weeks later decided to take back the PM post.

Somchai could not get a coalition together and under parliamentary rules the Democrats were offered the chance and managed to get a coalition together.

Yingluck dissolved parliament in December 2103 herself despite having a majority in parliament and she could have stayed in power without an election until 2015.

I spotted four outright lies as well as other attempts to mislead in this post.Can anyone improve on that tally?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 8/11/2017 at 1:46 AM, leeneeds said:

Even grade school kids know you can not buy a lolly pop if you have no money.

Most government's in the world must have missed that.

Can't even remember how many zeroes the US dept has right now. And they keep borrow more :shock1: 

On 8/11/2017 at 9:10 AM, ChrisY1 said:

It's blatantly clear that this junta (and past military of course), don't really have great interest in the people.

There's nothing unusual about this, military rulers historically have always been there for self benefit and the current generals are no different.

The focus on activists, politicians, Sect 112 and etc.  is so concentrated, that management of the country has been almost ignored.

Incompetence, nepotism, corruption....seem to be the current juntas creed!

just a reminder, the head of the military is not a general, more cannot be said

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:00 PM, bokningar said:

Most government's in the world must have missed that.

Can't even remember how many zeroes the US dept has right now. And they keep borrow more :shock1: 

20 trillion so 4*3 +1

this is what the political scene in the USA is really about.

the stalemates underlying it. but something else too.

when they say someone "denies" science they mean "in denial"...

not just on the debt:

July 2017 was the hottest ever on average. 

all it will take is one more "oops we didn't even think of that" or we see Al Gore completely disappear off the scene because he can't even broach the subject anymore.  he would go from "newly optimistic" to not saying a single word in public.

Edited by maewang99

On 8/20/2017 at 11:37 PM, NanLaew said:

In California, for $35 you can get an exceptional bottle of chardonnay. For $30-50 I get single vineyard pinots that are life changers. 

Thailand could do alot better. One of the chief reasons that really high end tourists have essentially abandoned Thailand, is the fact that the wine service and selection is so poor, and the industry is so bereft. 

I was at a high end Italian restaurant recently, at Em Quartier. Called Bella Rocca. I was with a group of friends. We decided to order a bottle of wine. I inquired about a specific wine, and the waitress knew nothing. I asked if she could get the manager or the sommelier to come over, and offer me some advice on the wine choice. She said there was NODBOY in the restaurant that knew ANYTHING about any of the wine. I just did not know what to say. So, I picked one of the Chianti wines, that was on the list. It was a 2011. She said all they had was 2015. I picked another. It was a 2009. Again, only 2015. We are talking about 3,000 baht bottles. I asked why don't they revise the list? No response. Finally, I turned to our group, and suggested we leave, and find an adequate restaurant that took some pride in what they did. Please avoid this charlatan of an Italian restaurant. 

...and then?

Then we went to a good restaurant. We just blew off the wine. Here in Thailand, in order to get a great wine list, and people who know about the wine, you must visit a restaurant in a five star hotel, and spend a fortune on the meal and the wine. It is pathetic, insipid, sad, and is one of the reasons why Thailand does not attract many heavy hitter tourists. The really wealthy have too many there options, without having to deal with a government totally devoid of wisdom.