PM pleased as Bangkok named world’s top city for weekend break

rooster59

f21e73e568f9ac1d23db3eb682ae84cd.jpeg

PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha has congratulated Bangkok for becoming the top destination among the world’s cheapest long-haul cities.

“The prime minister is pleased to hear this news,” said Government Spokesman Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd. 

“It is government policy to encourage tourists to stay longer in Thailand and spend more here.” 

He said measures had been taken to boost tourism in the capital, including exempting visa fees and extending the time visitors could stay.
British newspaper The Daily Mirror reported that Bangkok was the cheapest city in the Post Office Travel Money’s Long-Haul City Costs Barometer for 2017.

Researchers looked at the price of 11 travel essentials, including food and drink, sightseeing, airport transfers and three nights’ accommodation. They then combined all the costs to create a total “basket price”, in order to determine which long-haul city actually offered the best value for money.

Thailand’s capital topped the list as the best value long-haul city, with a total basket price of 316.93 pounds (Bt13,700) almost 100 pounds less than runner-up Tokyo.

“There’s plenty to see and do in this vibrant city but if you’re only stopping for a long weekend then make sure to check out the awe-inspiring Grand Palace, a complex of breathtaking temples,” the report said.

Here is the list:

1. Bangkok
2. Tokyo, Japan
3. Beijing, China
4. Dubai, UAE
5. Cape Town, South Africa
6. Singapore
7. Washington DC, USA
8. Toronto, Canada
9. New York, USA
10. Boston, USA

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30323635

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-13

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

“There’s plenty to see and do in this vibrant city but if you’re only stopping for a long weekend then make sure to check out the awe-inspiring Grand Palace, a complex of breathtaking temples,” the report said.

Yup and don't listen to the touts outside the Palace when they open your taxidoor and say that the Palace is closed for some reason.

Many of them hang around there all days to sell you an expensive boattrip in a longtailboat.

"PM pleased as Bangkok named world’s top city for weekend break"

Yeah, break a neck from hanging overhead singes and cables and break a leg

for all the potholes on the uneven footpath and break your teeth trying

to communicate with the locals....

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Misleading headline, as when you read the story, it isn't actually the "top" destination, but only heads the list as being the cheapest. Still, facts have never got in the way here before when praising Thailand have they?

Edited by darksidedog

Yet another pat on the back as a result of a rather skew-wiffed article.

First, it only looks like ten cities were considered and given the criteria and the competition it's no surprise Bangkok is number one! Though I was surprised to see Capetown as low as fifth and Tokyo second, making me wonder what they based the results upon.

3 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I tried to read the original article: www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/...cheapest-long-haul-resort.

Guess what, it is blocked in Thailand by the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society! Now, why would they block an article/report that glorifies Bangkok as a travel destination?? Something stinks here like the Pattaya shore!!

Trying the Daily Mail homepage, it is blocked, too!

Could be because they don;t like their reporting, i.e. the truth can hurt at times"

Researchers looked at the price of 11 travel essentials, including food and drink, sightseeing, airport transfers and three nights’ accommodation. They then combined all the costs to create a total “basket price”, in order to determine which long-haul city actually offered the best value for money.

Only Nonces would come to Thailand from Europe for a weekend 

For those not from Uk google Nonce Slang

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Somewhere along the line, facts and figures got messed up.

Yes Bangkok is number 1 on the list, number 1 for scams/ cheating tourists.

Unfortunately,  those who voted for it were intending to stay for more than a week but after 2 days decided to leave and the response "i had to leave after the weekend" was misconstrued.

51 minutes ago, chainarong said:

Couldn't find it on their UK site , only a item about staying in BKK prison type accommodation becoming popular , (news to me))????

The Daily Mail has been blocked in Thailand for a while.

Here is the list:

1. Bangkok
2. Tokyo, Japan
3. Beijing, China
4. Dubai, UAE
5. Cape Town, South Africa
6. Singapore
7. Washington DC, USA
8. Toronto, Canada
9. New York, USA
10. Boston, USA

How was that list put together?  What were the criteria?   Tokyo at #2, Dubai at #4 and Singapore at #6?   Don't think so.  Definitely NOT cheapest in that order.  Maybe a good destination for a weekend getaway and not for any destination that is more than 3 hours away by air.

Only Nonces would come to Thailand from Europe for a weekend 

For those not from Uk google Nonce Slang

I don't think nonces would have much luck in Bangkok. Try Phnom Penh.

29 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I don't think nonces would have much luck in Bangkok. Try Phnom Penh.

Maybe they are including transfers in the figures difficult to fly direct from Europe to PP ;o)

Edited by Dave67

5 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Bangkok is the biggest slum on the list, what percentage only come for the sex on sale?

If you take your head out of the sand and look at the millions of people who have other things on their minds, you'd realise what a wonderful place it is for a short break. Lots to do and see plus cheap shopping, hotels and food and good, normal nightlife. Bangkok is not just about sex and bars. I wish people could see past that. 

45 minutes ago, wanderluster said:

i find it interesting to read all the negative things written by expats who gave up their great lives in other countries to come over here to thailand that is such a horrible place.  just what kind of person does that.

The kind of person who is desperate to get laid.