Traffic hell when terminal 21 opens ?

bert bloggs

On 8/15/2017 at 10:32 PM, Jip99 said:

It will certainly do far better than the I'll-conceived Avenue development which was a white elephant from the start.

...that hasn't shuttered (yet).

21 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

its eventual relocation to elsewhere will happen in the future.

Yes.... and the sun also rises.

On 8/15/2017 at 8:29 PM, Destiny1990 said:

But T21 in bkk is stand alone while T21 pty is surrounded with 7 other simular malls with foodcourts and no local office workers around either.

T21 in Bangkok isn't standalone. It's got office towers, hotels, serviced apartments and condos in very close proximity plus the confluence of the BTS & MRT.

Can you name the 7 other "similar malls" to T21 that already in Pattaya?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, newnative said:

I actually think Marina will do ok.  Big C is a big draw--I prefer to shop there for my groceries rather than Foodland, which I think is going into T21.  Even when T21 opens I will continue to shop at Big C--and likely eat at one of the restaurants while I am there and do my banking, pay my internet and phone, etc.   It's a breeze getting in and out of Marina's new parking garage and I think enough shoppers will continue to choose the ease and convenience of Marina to keep it afloat.

Marina is a work in progress and will be well finished and much better positioned to hoover up the Soi 6 detritus before T21 opens.

I will still park at Marina before I trawl Soi 6 as T21 is simply a mall too far IMHO.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

On 8/15/2017 at 7:46 PM, Chiang Mai Charlie said:

Here is what you are looking at.  It will be the bomb #1 will put other malls here to shame.

UK floor, France floor, etc.  Pier 21 food court, movies, etc.

So great this place is coming!!! I love it!!!!!

Traffic?  HAHA good luck Nakula and other streets will be a big mess waiting game.  But, that is part of life's progress.  Just relax for 30 minutes and enjoy the ride.....

A Foodland!

The Jomtienites will be gutted (again).

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

A Foodland!

The Jomtienites will be gutted (again).

Yeah, that plot on Thepprasit Road with the giant "Foodland coming soon" sign would have been a perfect location.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

T21 in Bangkok isn't standalone. It's got office towers, hotels, serviced apartments and condos in very close proximity plus the confluence of the BTS & MRT.

Can you name the 7 other "similar malls" to T21 that already in Pattaya?

Central department store mall, Harbor Mall, Mikes Mall ,Big C Extra, Central Marina Mall, Avenue Mall, Royal Garden mall.

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Central department store mall, Harbor Mall, Mikes Mall ,Big C Extra, Central Marina Mall, Avenue Mall, Royal Garden mall.

Thanks for that. Apart from Central, those other malls are nothing at all like T21. Harbour Mall is a lot smaller but in itself beats most of the remainder on your list. The unfinished Central Marina looks very promising but Big C Extra is hardly a mall at all when talking about similarities.

Forgot about The Chill mini-mall on the darkside too.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jip99 said:

It didn't exactly get off the ground either...

True but the landlord is still making his payments. The other, new open-air one "thebay" on beach between 5 and 6 will be interesting once they decide what best goes on the upper, open floors. I assume that there's till only Starbucks, McDonalds and Boots open there?

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Thanks for that. Apart from Central, those other malls are nothing at all like T21. Harbour Mall is a lot smaller but in itself beats most of the remainder on your list. The unfinished Central Marina looks very promising but Big C Extra is hardly a mall at all when talking about similarities.

Most got foodcourts supermarkets clothes shops restros banks some even a cinema for some reason they all look simular to me! Thinking out of the box here but next Mall maybe move it over to Jomtien seaside?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Most got foodcourts supermarkets clothes shops restros banks some even a cinema for some reason they all look simular to me! Thinking out of the box here but next Mall maybe move it over to Jomtien seaside?

We don't require a Mall in Jomtien.

it attracts a certain type of person , that we don't want

They can all stay over in Pattaya , thank you. :thumbsup:

17 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Harbor Mall, Mikes Mall ,Big C Extra, Central Marina Mall, Avenue Mall, Royal Garden mall.

None of them are anything like T 21 in Bkk, or from the size of it the one in Pattaya.

The only comparable one is Central and they will be sweating that T21 will take most of their custom.

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

True but the landlord is still making his payments. The other, new open-air one "thebay" on beach between 5 and 6 will be interesting once they decide what best goes on the upper, open floors. I assume that there's till only Starbucks, McDonalds and Boots open there?

Just a wild guess, but IMO The Bay will be Avenues version 2. Why would anyone go to a non AC mall when there are so many that are?

Their only chance, IMO, is if they have something attractive to loads of people that non of the others have, that can be done in an area that they can cool.

If such existed, IMO Avenues would already have done it.

BTW, Avenues could easily have changed things by glassing in the floors and installing AC. Excellent location- unimaginative owners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

They shouldn't have ruined the beach walk either, but you got that whether you wanted it or not.

The people that build malls don't care about the people that live in the area. When they think they can make a baht or two they will build one.

43 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

BTW, Avenues could easily have changed things by glassing in the floors and installing AC. Excellent location- unimaginative owners.

I thought this same thing. I told my wife, as hot as it is here not many people want to walk around a mall that's 30-33 degrees, especially people that have already walked to get to the mall. I think the only thing keeping The Avenue going is Mc D's, Starbucks and Villa, if not for them it would have shut down long ago. Au Bon Pain went out a few weeks ago; wonder how long before the rest of them abandon the place.

31 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

I thought this same thing. I told my wife, as hot as it is here not many people want to walk around a mall that's 30-33 degrees, especially people that have already walked to get to the mall. I think the only thing keeping The Avenue going is Mc D's, Starbucks and Villa, if not for them it would have shut down long ago. Au Bon Pain went out a few weeks ago; wonder how long before the rest of them abandon the place.

Oishi, on the 2nd floor does quite well. There's also an amazing 24-hour gym there now.

2 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

I nearly moved to Jomtien but ended up staying on the Pattaya side of the hill. Lucky for you as I'm one of the people who shop at and appreciate big air conditioned malls. We could have been neighbours. :smile:

Enjoy your secluded life while you can. I'll put money down Jomtien will be home to the next big mall.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, tropo said:

I nearly moved to Jomtien but ended up staying on the Pattaya side of the hill. Lucky for you as I'm one of the people who shop at and appreciate big air conditioned malls. We could have been neighbours. :smile:

Enjoy your secluded life while you can. I'll put money down Jomtien will be home to the next big mall.

Please supply a date for this. :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, tropo said:

Oishi, on the 2nd floor does quite well. There's also an amazing 24-hour gym there now.

Those would have done well in any building as stand alone. People don't normally browse around in 30 degree ++ heat looking for a restaurant or gym. They do browse around in AC malls looking at clothes and such.

Unfortunately, the owners of Avenues were probably not aware of that when they built it.

I was at the opening ceremony, and I thought at the time it would turn out like it has.

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Those would have done well in any building as stand alone. People don't normally browse around in 30 degree ++ heat looking for a restaurant or gym. They do browse around in AC malls looking at clothes and such.

Unfortunately, the owners of Avenues were probably not aware of that when they built it.

I was at the opening ceremony, and I thought at the time it would turn out like it has.

Believe it or not, we do browse a bit when we go there to eat at the Oishi restaurant. In the old days, California Wow stimulated a lot of business there.

4 hours ago, tropo said:

Using Destiny's criteria, y'all already have a mall!!!   The beautiful Tesco Lotus Mall.  It has a grocery store, restaurants, shops, and a bank.  And, right next door, is ANOTHER mall!!! The even lovelier Outlet Mall!!!  So, stop whining!

41 minutes ago, tropo said:

Believe it or not, we do browse a bit when we go there to eat at the Oishi restaurant. In the old days, California Wow stimulated a lot of business there.

O Yes California Wow with their socalled life time long  Memberships?.With their annoying pushy sales pitches somewhat simular to stalking. I do like Oishi restros but that one i think its somewhat different like a buffet only place?

3 minutes ago, newnative said:

Using Destiny's criteria, y'all already have a mall!!!   The beautiful Tesco Lotus Mall.  It has a grocery store, restaurants, shops, and a bank.  And, right next door, is ANOTHER mall!!! The even lovelier Outlet Mall!!!  So, stop whining!

Gosh Newative u not a guy easily to be overlooking some details but this time u did.Seaside! Any Jomtien Seaside Mall? That what is still missing in Jomtien.

6 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Gosh Newative u not a guy easily to be overlooking some details but this time u did.Seaside! Any Jomtien Seaside Mall? That what is still missing in Jomtien.

You might get something like your Tesco Lotus shopping center maybe on Jomtien Second Road around where all the new condos are being built and have been built but I don't see a big mall in Jomtien anytime soon. 

15 minutes ago, newnative said:

You might get something like your Tesco Lotus shopping center maybe on Jomtien Second Road around where all the new condos are being built and have been built but I don't see a big mall in Jomtien anytime soon. 

With all ur knowledge i wonder why Cityhall hasn't selected  u yet as their volunteer City planner!

How ur pavements any progress in the widening??