Belgian couple say they were robbed by “Thai police”

webfact

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Joebuzz said:

Don't want to get robbed, ripped off, extorted on your vacation?  Don't go to Thailand.

Better not wear gold on holiday in Thailand or Asia (except Japan). When will those people finally learn it?

I seem to remember 2 other news reports almost identical to this over the last couple of years. 

Both cases did not report the incident until returning home. 

1 lady said she escaped out a window. Eventually both cases were dropped, as this one will be, because nobody believed them. 

11 hours ago, Dave67 said:

I find it hard to believe they didn't stay and press charges? I mean why would you leave ???????

Very simple the reputation of the antics of the bib are well know along with the CCA so get out get home and talk to the newspapers as you are safe. At the same time it will warn others where life is going here and not to bother anymore. Hope you understand now.

9 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Well, it's possible that some thugs impersonated the police. Plenty of people walking around with shirts, etc., with the word "Police" on it. Such clothing items were even sold in front of Pattaya Immigration years ago.

Would be interesting to know what area of Bangkok that incident happened: while I feel quite safe on Sukhumvit, I would not venture around in Klong Toei at night.

Well, it's possible that some thugs impersonated the police

Hey try this

Well, it's possible that some police impersonated the thugs

A Bit more truthfull

9 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

...  Hey try this

Well, it's possible that some police impersonated the thugs ...

Interesting hypothesis.  Might explain why they gave the crappy jewelry back and let them go without further mayhem.  Simple businessmen ...

Very simple the reputation of the antics of the bib at bad here to tell people not to come. are well know along with the CCA so get out get home and talk to the newspapers as you are safe. At the same time it will warn others where life is going here and not to bother anymore. Hope you understand now.

Are you seriously saying that people should not bother coming here anymore based on a dubious isolated incident amongst hundreds of thousands of satisfied tourists every year

I am not saying for one moment there aren't problems here but perspective is required and life is not that bad here to advise people not to come imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The last part makes 0 sense.

AD reports that Maxime and Noel have reported to the incident to officials from the Belgian Embassy in Thailand.

However, it is not known why the waited until they had returned home to Belgium to report the incident.

So, they reported the incident IN Thailand, AT the Belgian Embassy, assuming because they were afraid of the police.

That makes the last line in the quote completely nonsensical.

3 hours ago, Thian said:

Better not wear gold on holiday in Thailand or Asia (except Japan). When will those people finally learn it?

Yeah, they were asking to be robbed. 

Stupid foriegners, they deserved it. 

(Sarcasm alert). 

They rob tourists all the time!! Nothing new here but maybe not in this fashion. Just walk down Sukhumvit and see how many tourists get stopped by those police box attendants claiming the tourist littered or whatever...OOPS!! there goes another 2000 baht fleecing. 

I wonder will we be reading and hearing more similar stories in the future? I hope not. 

I have the impression times are getting a little harder for some folk in Los. 

The average tourist spends less (if anything at all), bars, restaurants, tuk tuks, etc. all seem to have less customers. 

1 hour ago, jspill said:

It's happened many times here in Thailand. Quite possible they were robbed by guys pretending to be police. Can't find the story now,  but same thing happened a few years back in Bangkok.

11 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

The Police don't use taxi's to transport suspects to the police station. They use a car, a van or put you on the back of their motorcycle. I think they have been tricked into believing they were police. Worrying that gangs are out there holding tourists hostage for a little pocket money. That's if you can believe this couple. Maybe they just want to attack Thailand because they had a bad holiday. There's no evidence to back up their story. No photos. Don't people carry phones with them?
maxime_kempeneer_392941634.JPG

actually my friend and I were stopped in the old airport and after twenty mins of checking

my friends bags, we were taken to pay fines in Bangkok by customs officers in our booked

taxi, I was very surprised but it was a long time ago. 

and for the doubting Thomas's there was armed guards at the building gates, with a full

building of uniformed police/customs officers. 

18 hours ago, thequietman said:

However, it is not known why the waited until they had returned home to Belgium to report the incident.

I would have thought that was pretty obvious.

"AD reports that Maxime and Noel have reported to the incident to officials from the Belgian Embassy in Thailand.

However, it is not known why the waited until they had returned home to Belgium to report the incident."

According to the top paragraph they did report it in Thailand......the next says te opposite?