Sky news blacked out

Griffo63

Sky News now being shown on BTV cable in Pattaya (same as the other local cable operators. Sophon and TMN). Seems to have replaced Fox News which is no longer being broadcast.

As with others, my access to Sky News via youtube has been geoblocked. But, as noted, nought to do with any players in Thailand, much as some would like to point the finger that way.

2 hours ago, dabhand said:

Sky News now being shown on BTV cable in Pattaya (same as the other local cable operators. Sophon and TMN). Seems to have replaced Fox News which is no longer being broadcast.

As with others, my access to Sky News via youtube has been geoblocked. But, as noted, nought to do with any players in Thailand, much as some would like to point the finger that way.

Still no problem with TOT and my iPTV box. But Sky News is just gossip and vanilla (especially all the bitching on morning 'news'). I prefer English versions of DW (German) and, shock, (TV France) on the TOT box -  like to see their alternative views on Brexit, plus they have some good documentaries on current affairs. 

I think it's a gradual lock down of the Sky News service being available for free. First to go for me was the Watch Live feed that you used to be able to get on the Apple TV 4. Lots of folks reported problems about that in several countries and Sky never answered any contacts.

Switched to You Tube then to watch and now that's gone too.

My feeling is that they have been gradually closing down free sources for the live news feed in countries where Sky News is available as part of paid subscription services.

Posted using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, SooKee said:

My feeling is that they have been gradually closing down free sources for the live news feed in countries where Sky News is available as part of paid subscription services.

That would make sense if you were able to pay for Sky News in Thailand. but you can't. So what exactly are they gaining by blocking a service they spend a fortune producing. It makes no sense to me.

It does if you consider its a paid for service. Im pretty sure the people paying for Sky through the nose, wont be to diaspointed  to know expats in Thailand or the world are moaning that they cant see it for free now!

Edited by jeab1980
To take out quoted post quoted wrong person

As someone else has already mentioned, I could only watch Sky News using a VPN on my laptop.

Then I noticed Fox News had disappeared from my TV channels, next morning Sky News appeared in its place.

I have Jomtien cable (I think), happy with the swap. 

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That would make sense if you were able to pay for Sky News in Thailand. but you can't. So what exactly are they gaining by blocking a service they spend a fortune producing. It makes no sense to me.

You can, but not for Sky News as a sole service.  It's provided as one of the channels on the AIS Platinum TV service which is available to on the AIS Playbox to AIS customers.  IIRC it used to be on True too, not sure if it still is.

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It makes no sense, they provide an international news service, just like BBC world and CNN. In this modern times it shouldn't be hard for any expats to watch international news online.  In the really old days we used the short wave radio to get news from home.  

Luckily I got VPN so I can watch all of them for free . 

Edited by balo

Late to the party on this one.

I cant access SKY news via internet anymore either direct or via youtube and Fox has gone from my TV

Fox news has been replaced by Thai Visa TV on my cable network .  There is also another channel with Thai Visa TV.

I now  have 160 channels on the free  cable in my building which includes something like 20 movie channels (mostly showing endless reruns  of The Rock and the Bourne movies)  but BBC,FOX and SKY have all been removed. 

There are no UK or US news channels  any more just bland neutered euronews and the entertaining insanity of RT.

.....And Sky news is back on YouTube  today .  I suspect there is some cleaning and consolidation going on related to the takeover/merger  between Sky and Fox.

Maybe somneone turned off the wrong switch

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 8:46 AM, turgid said:

.....And Sky news is back on YouTube  today .  I suspect there is some cleaning and consolidation going on related to the takeover/merger  between Sky and Fox.

Maybe somneone turned off the wrong switch

Yes, I didn't find it until the link popped up on my YouTube display yesterday. It's titled 'Online News Live (Sky)', and differs from the previous feed I had in that it now shows the domestic adverts. Sky News isn't that bad, it's certainly better than the dreary, pc-obsessed BBC.

Edited by Eff1n2ret

1 hour ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Yes, I didn't find it until the link popped up on my YouTube display yesterday. It's titled 'Online News Live (Sky)', and differs from the previous feed I had in that it now shows the domestic adverts. Sky News isn't that bad, it's certainly better than the dreary, pc-obsessed BBC.

I couldn't find it until I found online news sky (not exactly as above). Thanks. I'd rather have the UK service, rather than the endless world weather globe and the sports news cut short on the international version.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

On 8/31/2017 at 8:46 AM, turgid said:

.....And Sky news is back on YouTube  today . 

The new channel means I no longer need to use a VPN or stream to my Chromecast if I want to watch on television. :smile:

Not many people are aware of it yet as previously when there was a big news story the viewing numbers would quickly rise to over ten thousand... but only 51 watching coverage of Irma today... plus another 3k on the UK version so it shows the effect the restrictions on access are having.

SkyNews.png

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 3:27 PM, balo said:

Its not official, someone is streaming it illegally, just like you can find CNN and FOX news by searching on Youtube. The streams can suddenly dissappear so you never know.

You were so right. It had disappeared this morning.

3 hours ago, SooKee said:

It was back on You Tube today via their official channel.

When I go to YouTube, in Thailand,  the option for Sky News - Live is not available, other than two Brexit channel links with the grand total of one viewer watching.

The only way I can view the regular live channel is by using a proxy, and not so many people are doing that because there are only three thousand watching, much lower figures than were the case before.

21 minutes ago, kkerry said:

When I go to YouTube, in Thailand,  the option for Sky News - Live is not available, other than two Brexit channel links with the grand total of one viewer watching.

The only way I can view the regular live channel is by using a proxy, and not so many people are doing that because there are only three thousand watching, much lower figures than were the case before.

Strange.  I'm just using the apps on an Nvidia Shield and an Amazon Fire TV.  Working fine on both of those.