Chonburi school director - whacking students is necessary and has been agreed

webfact

2 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Yes, was my era too. However, I have to say that the main deterrent was that if the 'stick' or 'cane' had to be used it would also be recorded on the student's record and this would accompany any final documents given by the school upon leaving. In addition the 'stick' was not given in class but given in some morning assembly where offenders would be given up to a maximum of 5 strokes across the palm. I never witnessed a maximum but I understood any pupil receiving it would involve parents meeting with 'social workers' afterward.

None of that happen in the school I attended,maybe that was the case later on.

regards Worgeordie

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Itay said:

Well, it did initiated a behavior that you wouldn't have acted on if you weren't SMACKED... so please. 

If I had not been  "Smacked" as you put it, maybe i would have turned out like the

kids today,who seem to have little respect,for their elders,police,teachers,etc,(not all)

but a mounting percent of them.

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, travelman6 said:

I agree with Just1voice.  If a teacher ever hit one of my children, they would DEFINITELY end up in the hospital.  If the teacher has a problem with a child, they should contact the parents and work it out, with the parents taking the responsibility of discipline.

The problem today is a lot of parents just let kids do what they want,too busy

on Facebook,it's a fact that over the years kids have become more violent,

no one ever stabbed,shot anyone in our school,taking even a knife to school

never crossed anyones mind.things have changed ,why ?

regards worgeordie

Why is it in Thailand teachers can whip a child but if an adult whips a teacher they would be charged with assault. The more I see this kind of crap makes dislike Thailand more and its not getting any better it seems. Not as bad as the Nazis but pretty close.

He needs to loose his job / pension today no mucking around . I think the director of the school deserves the same fate . Both charged I a court of law . Stand up in front of. TV for a public apology, worst possible punishment for a Thai , if that is too hard , a month in jail for child abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

21 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Hit my kid and see what happens.  I might end up in jail, but I guarantee the teacher would end up in the hospital. 

No offence but this reaction looks puerile, but then probably not the cleverest, for, in fact, you condemn the violence ... of others… but intend to settle your personal quarrel by even more violence. Probably without a second thought for the consequences, for if you go to jail as you said, what a failed example for your son, not to mention the tremendous anxiety for your wife, because a westerner sending a Thai teacher to the hospital will most likely be deported. 

Or am I completely wrong, because many answers on Thai-Visa are nothing but emotional release having nothing to do with reality?  :smile:

It could also explain the 15 likes for your words, but I do not know if the likes are rather violent or rather frustrated.:biggrin:

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

There is absolutely no need to beat children to control a classroom. 

Anyone resorting to physical violence and asssult to do so has failed as a teacher and should find a new career. 

I'm not concerned about what happens in classrooms. I'm concerned about what happens in real life outside. Young people are growing up with no sense of discipline or responsibility at all, and in many cases their parents are no better. It is obvious in many countries, not just here.

I dont think that anything will teach them this apart from a big stick, and I think that to have the most effect it should be applied as early and as hard as is practical (without causing any permanent physical injury, of course).

Certainly the namby-pamby liberal techniques promoted for the last few decades in the West, and more recently here, simply dont work at all. The proof of that is shown by how people behave, and this has deteriorated massively over that time.

It was quite a common occurance for me at school  to receive the "stick",usually

a bamboo stick across the finger tips,or @rse,mostly for fighting ,did I deserve it,

most likely,I think some of the teachers took pleasure in it too,it did not turn me

into a serial killer,crime boss or rapist,it was just part of school life at the time,

on the final day of school,a few of us were waiting at the gate to give payback

to some of the especially vicious teachers.

regards Worgeordie

Absolutely not in my time (1952-1974)

The worst that ever happened was a teacher grasping my linear out of my sleeping hands and throwing it out of the window. 5 minutes later the head teacher walked into our classroom with an unhappy lady asking who's linear it was....

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

I'm not concerned about what happens in classrooms. I'm concerned about what happens in real life outside. Young people are growing up with no sense of discipline or responsibility at all, and in many cases their parents are no better. It is obvious in many countries, not just here.

I dont think that anything will teach them this apart from a big stick, and I think that to have the most effect it should be applied as early and as hard as is practical (without causing any permanent physical injury, of course).

Certainly the namby-pamby liberal techniques promoted for the last few decades in the West, and more recently here, simply dont work at all. The proof of that is shown by how people behave, and this has deteriorated massively over that time.

This thread is about violence disguised as discipline in schools. 

All that violence teaches is that if you are bigger and more powerful violence is justified.

It does not engender discipline, it does not promote responsibility, it does not help children develop coping strategies. 

Discipline does not require violence and asssulting children to control them is wrong. Teaching responsibility involves just that, teaching. Violence and assaulting children has no place in this process. 

I've been teaching for over 25 years now and have never needed to strike a child and I never will.

It is wrong and always will be. 

21 hours ago, Stubby said:

I've never understood the physical abuse approach. Why has it ever been okay for big heavy adults to hit little defenseless kids in the name of discipline? This has been the norm for most countries until more recent times.

Here's my gripe: If someone hits the big heavy adult for doing something wrong, they go crying to the cops? And let's face it; adults usually deserve a bigger slap for their wrongdoings than little people.

If the adult knew how to discipline properly, they wouldn't need to resort to physical attacks.

Stubby

My Mom used to whup me and my brother once a week, whether we needed it or not. Vicious beatings with a switch.

I've reared two kids & my brothers 5 kids.

We NEVER EVER beat them. All but my youngest is grown now & married, but, guess what? Horror of horrors! They were and are loving, sweet kids.

I and all my brothers keep Mom at a distance, just because we never forget the beatings.

All beating a kid does is generate hatred, resentment, and a desire to get away from the beater.

The person doing the beating needs to be beat....Unless you are beating a surly bartender.

Edited by jaywalker

Caning/physical punishment, and reason order, is a miserable excuse to hide the teachers insecurity and unstable character.

The slightest signals of discomfort i detect with my children when i pick them up from school is always accompanied with a verbal check  (questions) on misbehavior on  the staff's side......it happened once, i talked with the teacher involved and e-mailed the board.

I still have personal doubts about me handling the situation in my boy's best interest on a PERSONAL level!!

On the other hand, when the result was end of contract at terms-end for the teacher and it never happened again, i might as well stop thinking that beating everybody up would resolved anything more then doing time in jail.

It shows us that emotions are well understood, but common sense must prevail, for the sake of all involved.

21 hours ago, gummy said:

Absolutely.  Beat the students to within an inch of their lives.  will it help them for the future - No.

Will it ensure they study harder - Well No

Will it increase their educational standard - Definitely not

so why do it - Because this is Thailand LOS ( Land of the Stupid). and this report identifies exactly what is wrong with the country.

and doesnt appear to be correctable

Just now, saminoz said:

Given the number, content and volume of your posts in quick succession on this topic, perhaps the subject strikes (excuse the pun) home a little more for you?

Although I can type faster than the average hen-pecker, I am sorry to disappoint in that it's not some fascination with beating other people's kids (strange assertion but hey! that's people for you). It's this amazing voice-to-text software I use.

You brought up the Singapore judicial caning, I didn't.

Apples and oranges?

3 hours ago, YetAnother said:

and doesnt appear to be correctable

Only if the good communities, as a collective, stand up to such unnecessary barbarities towards children.

It only works if people speak up against what might be considered immoral behaviour.

3 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Only if the good communities, as a collective, stand up to such unnecessary barbarities towards children.

It only works if people speak up against what might be considered immoral behaviour.

i do not think we basically disagree; issue seems to be what is considered moral here; has NOTHING to do with east v west; is about human decency

On 8/16/2017 at 11:52 AM, worgeordie said:

The problem today is a lot of parents just let kids do what they want,too busy

on Facebook,it's a fact that over the years kids have become more violent,

no one ever stabbed,shot anyone in our school,taking even a knife to school

never crossed anyones mind.things have changed ,why ?

regards worgeordie

Agree with you re the parents Geordie! Also the fact that the teachers' hands are tied to a certain extent since corporal punishment was abolished.

I attended Grammar School a few years ago and was caned twice in 5 years - once in class by my Form Teacher/Maths teacher for "messing about" in class, and once by the Headmaster for "poor results". I didn't complain, and my father didn't - I'd had 2 elder brothers at the same school, and he knew the rules! I also had the greatest respect for both teachers - not fear! In retrospect, I think that the second caning was as a result of the first! To explain, as the Head put it "You're getting this punishment not for poor results, but because I know that you are capable of far better". My grades had dropped dramatically from the First year, when I was in the top half dozen in my class, to the lower 20's in my Second year, probably due to "messing about" in class!

Anyway, to stay with your point, I think that the increase in the use of "hard" drugs is also partly to blame, and the "glamourisation" of violence in modern (so called) music (Gangsta Rap?) and TV and films encourages a lack of respect for any kind of authority - either teachers, parents or police. End of rant!