Procedure for taking bike to Cambodia

JaiLai

Plan a trip with some friends to Siem Reap on our own bikes, would like some recent info if anyone has on the below

- apparently I need a 'purple' passport to take my bike out the country, is this done at land and transport dept and if so what paperwork is required

- are there agents that can take care of above?

- can I get insurance for the duration in Cambodia?

- what is the easiest border crossing to deal with, Arunaphatet(so) and PoiPet?

- anything else that would be useful to know in the planning.

Thanks

Try looking here.....

https://www.thegtrider.com/touring-information-overview/s-e-asian-border-crossings

For your bike passport, take thee green book to your local transport office, costs about 30 baht, basically they translate the Thai letters into English. Copies of passport, visa asked for usually.

If a bike is not registered to you you need to get a consent form from the owner.

I have not crossed into Cambodia, but intend to later this year.

Laos and Malaysia just the normal hurry up and wait at times, no real issues.

I have seen reports that riding with lights on in the day may get you fined.

I make the trip to Cambodia quite frequently. All you need is your green book and the bike in your name. Just make sure that you have a switch on your headlight as it is against the law in Cambodia to have your headlight on during the day. You can also cover the headlight and get by that way. It's an easy trip, getting your bike through Thai customs is fairly easy, you have to go to three different agents but it only takes about 15 minutes. Cambodia customs is much easier, usually they wave you through with no paperwork but sometimes they will give you a customs form. With or without the form I've never had any trouble. Good luck on your trip. 

I make the trip to Cambodia quite frequently. All you need is your green book and the bike in your name. Just make sure that you have a switch on your headlight as it is against the law in Cambodia to have your headlight on during the day. You can also cover the headlight and get by that way. It's an easy trip, getting your bike through Thai customs is fairly easy, you have to go to three different agents but it only takes about 15 minutes. Cambodia customs is much easier, usually they wave you through with no paperwork but sometimes they will give you a customs form. With or without the form I've never had any trouble. Good luck on your trip. 

Thanks for the info, how recent is this? No requirement to visit land and transport dept, is that right?

What border crossing do you use?

Really appreciate your input

3 hours ago, AllanB said:

Any restrictions on the bike you can take?

Also a good place to head for, wild and interesting, not touristy?

Although not on a motorbike i went along the coast all the way to the Vietnamese border years ago. Very nice. Try Bokor mountain too.

5 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Thanks for the info, how recent is this? No requirement to visit land and transport dept, is that right?

What border crossing do you use?

Really appreciate your input

It's very recent, I made my last trip about three weeks ago. I always go via the Koh Kong (Had Lek)  crossing because I have friends that I visit in Sihanoukville.  No reason to visit land and transport that I know of.

AllanB one of the places that I enjoy visiting that isn't very touristy yet is Kampot. I've never seen a tour bus there and very few tourists and Bokor Mountain is very close which is a great bike ride IMO. I don't know of any size restrictions, the most important thing is to turn in your Thailand customs documents on the way back, it's a 10,000 baht fine if you forget .

Edited by Lucky33

2 hours ago, Lucky33 said:

It's very recent, I made my last trip about three weeks ago. I always go via the Koh Kong (Had Lek)  crossing because I have friends that I visit in Sihanoukville.  No reason to visit land and transport that I know of.

AllanB one of the places that I enjoy visiting that isn't very touristy yet is Kampot. I've never seen a tour bus there and very few tourists and Bokor Mountain is very close which is a great bike ride IMO. I don't know of any size restrictions, the most important thing is to turn in your Thailand customs documents on the way back, it's a 10,000 baht fine if you forget .

That sounds great and I assume you can cross near Trat, I could even drop into my favourite Thai island of Kho Chang, chill out in the Bob Marley and CSNY bars.

With no cc restrictions, I could take the 200 Lifan, if I haven't got a CRF by then, I know a hotel in Trat where I can park the truck and do everything. A nice 10 day jobby.

It looks as though the Bokor Mountains come straight out of the sea and the partial coast road should be a little cooler, I guess.

Yes, once you get up near the summit of Bokor Mountain it is noticeable cooler, I put my jacket on about halfway up. It's a new, wide road and perfect for motorcycle riding and hardly any traffic to boot. Here are a couple of photos that I took on the way to Bokor Summit, the panorama is about half way up and shows the scenic nature of the road and the other one is the French Catholic church built in the 1920's. 

The border immigration checkpoint is about 100km from Trat.

BokorMtn.jpg

FrenchChurch.jpg

1 minute ago, Lucky33 said:

Yes, once you get up near the summit of Bokor Mountain it is noticeable cooler, I put my jacket on about halfway up. It's a new, wide road and perfect for motorcycle riding and hardly any traffic to boot. Here are a couple of photos that I took on the way to Bokor Summit, the panorama is about half way up and shows the scenic nature of the road and the other one is the French Catholic church built in the 1920's. 

BokorMtn.jpg

FrenchChurch.jpg

Nice, when i went up we needed a four wheel drive car. Looking forward to visiting again.

Quite a lot of wildlife around too.

Excellent, many thanks

6 hours ago, Lucky33 said:

BokorMtn.jpg

FrenchChurch.jpg

Hi, a quick question, is there a problem with motorbike thefts that you are aware of? A friend of mine told me it was bad there. But also he has not been there in years.

Thanks

47 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Hi, a quick question, is there a problem with motorbike thefts that you are aware of? A friend of mine told me it was bad there. But also he has not been there in years.

Thanks

I haven't heard of any. All of the hotels where I stay either have 24 hour security guards in the parking areas or they bring your motorcycle inside at night. It is Cambodia, of course, but I feel very confident that my bike is going to be waiting for me the next morning :smile:.

When are you planning on going to Cambodia?

Round about start or mid December.

I plan to cross at Arunaphatet (sp) as I would like to visit SR again. I've been several times but alway flown....

On another note, can I get a visa at the crossing or apply online?

Thanks

On 8/22/2017 at 2:45 PM, JaiLai said:

Round about start or mid December.

I plan to cross at Arunaphatet (sp) as I would like to visit SR again. I've been several times but alway flown....

On another note, can I get a visa at the crossing or apply online?

Thanks

You can do it either way. I usually get mine online and save a few minutes at immigration but you can get a visa at any one of the crossings with an immigration office. 

On 8/21/2017 at 5:22 PM, Lucky33 said:

I haven't heard of any. All of the hotels where I stay either have 24 hour security guards in the parking areas or they bring your motorcycle inside at night. It is Cambodia, of course, but I feel very confident that my bike is going to be waiting for me the next morning :smile:.

Hi Lucky, another question.

Do immigration limit the time for the motorbike visa?

Laos i have only ever managed to get a 2 week visa for the bike, even though i had a month visa!

Thanks

Chris

Hi Lucky, another question.

Do immigration limit the time for the motorbike visa?

Laos i have only ever managed to get a 2 week visa for the bike, even though i had a month visa!

Thanks

Chris

Someone mentioned to me that you need a guide in Laos if you're more than a group of 5, do you know if this is correct?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Someone mentioned to me that you need a guide in Laos if you're more than a group of 5, do you know if this is correct?

Thanks

I have taken my 500 cc Thai-registered bike to Laos 4 times on my own not in a group. The last time was Jan 2017. No guide ever mentioned or needed. I think you are referring to the "difficult" crossings such as Chiang Khorng in Chiang Rai province. Certain crossings bar motorcycles from entering Laos at that crossing.

1 hour ago, JaiLai said:

Thanks

I can't see how it could be enforced.

Just go to the border in ones and twos and they would not know.

I have only ever travelled alone.

On 8/24/2017 at 9:52 AM, JaiLai said:

Thanks

No, I don't know. When you exit Thailand customs and receive your documents they ask you how long you will be staying but I'm usually staying 5-7 days so no problem. In the dozen or so times that I've taken my motorcycle on trips to Cambodia I've only been issued Cambodia customs documents once. I always stop at the customs shack but they are usually busy with something else and just wave me on. My guess is that 30 days would be OK but I don't know for sure. 

15 hours ago, fullcave said:

Is it possible to chain it to your leg while you sleep or would you be in danger of having your leg amputated while you sleep? :giggle:

Yeh..you realise you said that out loud?

I googled "amputating a leg chained to a motorcycle" couldn't find anything, must be something new............

Decided on Cambodia for my next visa run, whether or not it is now a visa run, around December

Any ideas for a 5 day trip starting from Bokor mountain? Looking for mountains, twisties and away from tourist areas...well maybe one big city.

10 minutes ago, AllanB said:

Decided on Cambodia for my next visa run, whether or not it is now a visa run, around December

Any ideas for a 5 day trip starting from Bokor mountain? Looking for mountains, twisties and away from tourist areas...well maybe one big city.

1. Sihanoukville,

2. Bokor/Kampet

3,4. Around Cardamom mountains

Back to Thailand.

Sihanoukville and Phnom Penh are the only two large cities without going north to Angkor Wat

3 hours ago, chrissables said:

1. Sihanoukville,

2. Bokor/Kampet

3,4. Around Cardamom mountains

Back to Thailand.

Sihanoukville and Phnom Penh are the only two large cities without going north to Angkor Wat

Great, is that a 5 trip, I could calculate the km, but that often doesn't mean much in terms of riding hours..my first time in Cambodia.....if it is easy to get in, probably not my last.

11 hours ago, AllanB said:

Great, is that a 5 trip, I could calculate the km, but that often doesn't mean much in terms of riding hours..my first time in Cambodia.....if it is easy to get in, probably not my last.

Also from Kampot not far along the coast is Kep, that is a real sit around and do nothing place, so relaxing.

The roads i have no idea, when i was there really bad, especially up Bokor mountain, but if that has been resurfaced i would think the road along to Kampot is too, so not too long a trip.

Edited by chrissables