Thai woman defends trespass at Yellowstone Park after online criticism

webfact

1 hour ago, wcoast said:

To be fair, the sign in question did not say no trespassing, no walking or do not enter. It stated DANGER, with smaller text indicating to stay on pathways. So it's a bit hard to tell if there is a pathways surrounding that pool. The log which the sign was placed on was hardly an obvious barrier, and if anything it would serve as a bit of an obstacle to draw attention to the small sign. IMHO a lot to do about essentially nothing.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

Obviously you are "sign impaired".   It says distinctly "Keep Out" plus the walking person depicted in the picture with a red slash through it means "no walking".  Good luck to you in your future endeavors when happening upon other international signage.

Edited by Mrjlh

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously you are "sign impaired".   It says distinctly "Keep Out" plus the walking person depicted in the picture with a red slash through it means "no walking".  Good luck to you in your future endeavors when happening upon other international signage.

The small sign in the original video is not the large sign thats being posted in this forum and people are discussing.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

Give her the benefit of the dought especially being Thai. For lets take any non English speaking /reading person. So far for us Falang we show clear warning signs ALL CLEAR IN ENGLISH and some in universal warning signs indicating DANGER. As an example, if you went to China lets say and you saw a sign written in Chinese and was 20 foot(metres) by 20 foot(metres)  What's the difference whether small or big?. This lady was correct fence it off and have a universal sign installed. Whiners!

3 hours ago, jimster said:

What do you mean by that? It's not illegal to feed little kids candy in Siem Reap (or anywhere else in the world that I know of) the kiddies can be annoying, I avoid them but many first time Thai visitors melt, they marvel in how well they speak English (compared to them) and give them candy, money and other freebies not realizing that most of these kids are begging on behalf of adult "pimps" the kids rarely get to keep anything they receive, unless it's something small they can eat straight away without being seen.

They didn't feed them the candies, but forcefully threw them at the little kids. The locals were so upset that they were ready to lynch the Thai tourists, so that they had to be rescued by the Cambodian army, and flown out to Thailand! I'm sure the story can still be found somewhere online...

It really boils down to a lack of knowledge of any other country in the world. A trait common to a lot of tourists from any country in the world, some nationalities in particular, including Brits and Americans.

Just because you/they think a rule or law is stupid in the country they are visiting doesn't mean you can ignore it.

48 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

They didn't feed them the candies, but forcefully threw them at the little kids. The locals were so upset that they were ready to lynch the Thai tourists, so that they had to be rescued by the Cambodian army, and flown out to Thailand! I'm sure the story can still be found somewhere online...

Here is (probably) the link, for who's interested (My wifi is a bit slow now, so I couldn't open it.):

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/archives/police-rescue-tourists-from-angkor-mob-20875/

Short news item also here: https://www.cambodiadaily.com/author/phann-ana/page/111/

Police Rescue Tourists From Angkor Mob

Siem Reap police rescued a group of Thai tourists Sunday from an angry mob that had gathered because the tourists were throwing candy at a group of Angkor Wat beggars while laughing and snapping photos as the children retrieved the sweets.

March 27, 2001

Edited by StayinThailand2much

The sign in the video is small. But there are larger signs are all over the place that you cant possibly miss unless you have your head up your selfie-taking arse.

dscn6728.thumb.jpg.d83ae566f1a709fd94080746cf794a22.jpg

The sign is only in English ? What about the Chinese, Thais, Russians who do not speak a word English . Even in Thailand we have signs in diffeent languages in tourist areas.

2 minutes ago, balo said:

The sign is only in English ? What about the Chinese, Thais, Russians who do not speak a word English . Even in Thailand we have signs in diffeent languages in tourist areas.

Not only in English. I also see Spanish, French, and German on the sign. They should probably add other languages such as Chinese if it's not already there (the pic is cropped). I doubt there will ever be enough Thai tourists to justify it in Thai though. 

Edited by Jingthing

Not only in English. I also see Spanish, French, and German on the sign. They should probably add other languages such as Chinese if it's not already there (the pic is cropped). I doubt there will ever be enough Thai tourists to justify it in Thai though. 

Maybe they do not expect Asian visitors? They should add Chinese and Thai .

Anyway in my opinion the tour guide is responsible, they came in a group so they should have been warned.

Just now, balo said:

Anyway in my opinion the tour guide is responsible, they came in a group so they should have been warned.

Of course they expect Asian visitors. Like I said, you can't tell from the picture if there is Chinese text because it is CROPPED.

As far as Thai, I think you're tripping. 

What do you think the ratio is of Chinese speaking to Thai tourists in the USA? 

My guess would be about 100 to 1. 

1 minute ago, balo said:

Yes, it's everyone else's fault. They should make lots of new signs just in Thai. Also, make them huge and vulgar as it appears from the lady defending herself that Thais don't take small signs seriously in their culture.

Lucky girl  and her friends they did not get cut yet but now with this face book media it is in the open all they need now is for a friendly  yellow stone park warden to make money  big fine to all of them .

Good luck

31 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

When in Rome have you heard that one? it bloody seams to apply in Thai with culture thing so it applies to to them in other countries too get an education is the answer

Unfortunately that education for a lot of visitors to Yellowstone will only be completed when one or two of the party break through the crust and get very badly burnt or worse and that applies to many visiting nationalities.

9 hours ago, Lupatria said:

"she did not think" Thai logic 4.0 in full swing! I vote for some kind of natural selection: Remove all warning signs from potentially dangerous sites, machines, electrical facilities, etc. and let karma do the rest. 

Well i can't speak for the USA because i've never been there.

But if this place is really as dangerous as you guys make it sound like than there should be many more warningsigns and even a fence if that's not too much asked.

Also to me it's not even clear where the road/track ends and where the geyserland starts... and if there are no large warningsigns with the text "DANGER" i also wouldn't assume the place to be very dangerous.

Do American also use such small signs when there's high voltage or other serious dangers?

If a foreigner did this in Thailand they would have paid a monster bribe or gone to jail. But worse....what if they had been injured or killed? Gee the sign was to small so I disregarded it and now I'm dead. Great plan.

49 minutes ago, Thian said:

Well i can't speak for the USA because i've never been there.

But if this place is really as dangerous as you guys make it sound like than there should be many more warningsigns and even a fence if that's not too much asked.

Also to me it's not even clear where the road/track ends and where the geyserland starts... and if there are no large warningsigns with the text "DANGER" i also wouldn't assume the place to be very dangerous.

Do American also use such small signs when there's high voltage or other serious dangers?

My assumption is they avoid fences because they're UGLY and the attraction of the place is the NATURAL beauty. 

25 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

My assumption is they avoid fences because they're UGLY and the attraction of the place is the NATURAL beauty. 

And a perfectly natural assumption that anyone with anything between their ears would realise that boiling water in a natural environment must be a nice thing to look at but not go near or touch.

But, then again, they walk amongst us everywhere.

Edited by overherebc

43 minutes ago, overherebc said:

And a perfectly natural assumption that anyone with anything between their ears would realise that boiling water in a natural environment must be a nice thing to look at but not go near or touch.

But, then again, they walk amongst us everywhere.

And they can vote.

???

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Last year, it was reported that three Canadians were caught trespassing in the ecologically sensitive area. One of them was ordered to pay a US$3,500 (Bt116,410) fine after he pleaded guilty to creating a hazardous condition and walking in a thermal area.

Two others pleaded guilty to additional charges for commercial photography without a permit, the use of a drone and riding a bike. They served seven days in jail and each paid a $2,000 fine. 

They should be fined and or jailed in accordance with the law just the same as the others were.

I hope they made them pay 10 x the entrance fee too.

Quid pro quo.

:angry:

11 hours ago, jimster said:

If they had tried to bribe a police officer in America (or even a park ranger), they would have been met with the full force of the law. Arrest, brought before a judge, a heavy fine, possible jail time. Bribing a public official in the USA is no laughing matter.

Bribes are so 1920's.  Now we do it with campaign and charitable foundation donations, board memberships, insider stock tips, hiring relatives and the like.

Florida has big signs.

meanwhile-in-florida-the-alligators-have

Edited by Damrongsak

Even in the MacD they have a much larger warningsign for a slippery floor.

Guess it's time that somebody falls in a geyser and then will sue the Yosemite management for not giving decent warnings.

If those things are dangerous there should be a fence around it. Especially if it's a real tourist attraction.

9 minutes ago, Thian said:

Even in the MacD they have a much larger warningsign for a slippery floor.

Guess it's time that somebody falls in a geyser and then will sue the Yosemite management for not giving decent warnings.

If those things are dangerous there should be a fence around it. Especially if it's a real tourist attraction.

You don't get the concept of a national PARK. 

Sad.