Do I need a yellow book?

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They are good for opening bank accounts, getting drivers licenses, registering vehicles and few other other things that require proof of residence.

Agree with Ubonjoe. I've found it useful in lots of ways and has definitely simplified lots of processes.

my pink ID card is also still proving to be useful, not least in entertaining Thai people who've never seen one!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Do you own a condo? If not they won't issue you one

How do you know this? If this is your experience in the district where you live, the OP may well live in another district that follows another policy.

I have seen posts by members who or whose wives got a call from the district office to get the yellow house registration book, ie it was forced on them on the basis of a legal requirement that the office started to enforce. I don't remember if there was any mention of condo ownership by these foreigners.

What i suspect is mr in Thailand (maybee)

Has bought a condo and thinks his blue book for the condo is proof enough coupled with his passport. If i was him i would look in the blue book you may just find its blank were you think your name should be.

Or he is a citizen therefore has his name in a Tabien and is just trolling as he seems to do in a lot of threads.

I await mr in  thailands response !

Edited by jeab1980

Thai people are listed in blue books, foreigners are listed in yellow book. Having the blue book for a property doesnt mean much as you cant be listed in it. You cant use a blue book to get or renew a license, you can use a yellow book because you are in the yellow book.

Otherwise its a trip to immigration for a resident cert every-time you need to show your address, I have had a yellow book for a couple of years and its probably saved me 5 trips to immigration and 1,000 baht.

And I spent that money on beer.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Have owned a couple of condos so not clueless and received a blank blue book for each one. I suggest you look at your blue book again, they are not in the name of the developer, the developer doesn't live there.

A foreign owned condo, the blue book is blank because you are not Thai.

With a yellow book you dont need to ever get a "resident certificate without question" as the yellow book if proof of your address, accepted by Banks, DLT, internet company etc.

The main advantage of a yellow book is not needing to keep geting resident certificates.

Theres no point he will just keep making things up to suit. No point. Let him carry his passport blue namless tabien and chanote around in his man bag.

Edited by jeab1980
  • Like 1

20170817_203428.thumb.jpg.8fa9375a909a4751c147d8b959b311c8.jpg

16 minutes ago, inThailand said:

They don't issue tabien baan books, ie blue books with no name. That's like getting an Id with no name.

Rubbish, every blue book for a foreign owned condo is issued blank. Unless they are told otherwise, there are "no" thais living there.

A blue book is a list of the people living at a property, if no Thai people live there, the book is blank.

here is a photo of a "blank" blue book for my current condo, 

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They are good for opening bank accounts, getting drivers licenses, registering vehicles and few other other things that require proof of residence.

Exactly.
If you apply for the Yellow Housebook, you can also make mostly the Pink ID card at the same time.
For the driving license extension (motorcycle and car) copies of the Yellow Housebook have been enough. Did not have to buy extra from the imigration the two residence certificates. Saved me time and money.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kalvin said:

I have been thinking of trying to get one,  the problem is that I have heard so many different things about it.  Trying to find out how and where do get one at in Pattaya. 

If you possess a passport, blue book and Thai DL your good to go. Nothing else needed.