Pig raisers protest against import of pig meat from the US

webfact

8 hours ago, macksview said:

love visiting the wifes suburb/village, pork,beef and poultry, grown and culled by locals, and she knows who puts what into the vegies and stock feed.

Beef?..that's quite unusual for Thais....they generally don't eat it in my experience.

Edited by tryasimight

6 hours ago, rickudon said:

As i understand it, this already happened in Vietnam. Result - wholesale price of pigs fell due to market over supply. Vietnam pig producers are not happy as some face bankruptcy. Thailand hardly needs more pork ....... Maybe USA should pressurise China instead? Ahh..... no,  size matters in the bully market.

porky market

5 hours ago, Thechook said:

My Thai wife won't buy pork in Australia or eat pork as she says it stinks and is not fresh.  

Really...when we are in Oz my Mrs loves it.

I've got a photo of her posing on a dead bush pig  (north queensland) by the side of the road....I declined to chuck it in the back of the ute much to her disappointment.

8 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Beef?..that's quite unusual for Thais....they generally don't eat it in my experience.

I quite often stagger back to my condo trying to avoid some Thai guys who insist on buying me a beer and share their delicious beef grill. If I submit, tomorrow is cancelled every time.

2 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Really...when we are in Oz my Mrs loves it even from Woolies.

Mind you, once she tasted wild pig..there was no going back.........the neighbours hunts with dogs....the old girl fairly drools for roast wild pig....me too!

2 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

I've got a photo of her posing on a dead bush pig  (north queensland) by the side of the road....I declined to chuck it in the back of the ute much to her disappointment.

9 minutes ago, maxpower said:

I quite often stagger back to my condo trying to avoid some Thai guys who insist on buying me a beer and share their delicious beef grill. If I submit, tomorrow is cancelled every time.

I don't doubt what you say, My experience is that the Thais that I know decline beef generally. I've pressured the wife as to why...she says a cow is too big an animal (?) or that she can eat beef if its only a little bit mixed with something else.

Personally I think it is a quasi religious hangover thing from the indian religious roots. No big deal to me.

Crazy part is I just had a great feed of steak and kidney stew in Myanmar.... arguably the only true Buddhist country left. (according to the locals anyway)

Edited by tryasimight

Globalization can suck.   Look at how it's stagnated wages in 1 st world countries.    Imported pork could lower cost for Thai consumers.   I can't believe anyone can taste the difference between USA and Thai   pork and chicken.    This could lower prices of pork for both USA and Thai consumers.  But we all know the big corporations will just pocket the extra.   Less profit for Thai producers.      Everyone let's greed rule and not what's best for the world.  

17 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

I don't doubt what you say, My experience is that the Thais that I know decline beef generally. I've pressured the wife as to why...she says a cow is too big an animal (?) or that she can eat beef if its only a little bit mixed with something else.

Personally I think it is a quasi religious hangover thing from the indian religious roots. No big deal to me.

Crazy part is I just had a great feed of steak and kidney stew in Myanmar.... arguably the only true Buddhist country left. (according to the locals anyway)

Oh, I forgot to mention the pork grill :) 

8 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Globalization can suck.   Look at how it's stagnated wages in 1 st world countries.    Imported pork could lower cost for Thai consumers.   I can't believe anyone can taste the difference between USA and Thai   pork and chicken.    This could lower prices of pork for both USA and Thai consumers.  But we all know the big corporations will just pocket the extra.   Less profit for Thai producers.      Everyone let's greed rule and not what's best for the world.  

Trust me ...people can taste the difference , pork ain't pork, beef ain't beef., steak ain't steak.

I now what you mean...put three bottles of wine in front of me and I'll drink the one I like the taste of.....not necessarily the one that 'experts' say is the best.

10 hours ago, Tilacme said:

Don't see the point in importing USA pork when Thailand is busy supplying pork to China.  Or am I missing something ....

Especially when all the positions at the trough have already been assigned.

4 hours ago, tryasimight said:

They won't touch lamb either, I can't even eat it when the wife is around because she says it stinks.  When she is away I pig out.

On 8/18/2017 at 2:39 PM, ramrod711 said:

I protest too, the pork here is excellent, why should I have to eat imported pork. At the very least it should be labeled as imported so that people have a choice.

You eat intestines and pig head? That is what is being imported.

On 18-8-2017 at 1:06 PM, Thechook said:

My Thai wife won't buy pork in Australia or eat pork as she says it stinks and is not fresh.  

One day i bought some kg of minced pork in Foodland and it really stank a lot...since then i understand why muslems think it's dirty meat...i had never smelled that before anywhere.

On 18/08/2017 at 1:50 PM, attrayant said:

I'm not a pig farmer so I don't get the problem. Thai people are under no obligation to eat it, are they?

Its not the consumers who are protesting though, is it?  No, it is the pig raising associations, do you think they just might have something to lose from imported pork?

On 18/08/2017 at 3:10 PM, wgdanson said:

You don't have to eat it, unless you are into intestines and heads.

Everyone is into head who has eaten it, its by far the best bit, there's nothing that compares to the muscles in the jaw, absolutely divine.  The intestines are quite handy for making sausages too.

My Mrs doesn't eat Beef, she says that she doesn't like the flavour, she has no problem making stew, steaks or anything connected to Beef for me, she is rather partial to Lamb Chops as well, because every time she cooks them for me she has to have a little nibble. As for Pork, I can't stand it unless it's in sausages :smile: 

On 18/08/2017 at 3:19 PM, Tilacme said:

I agree, the pork here is excellent, the family farm rears them and the slaughter man dispatches them, all within a stones throw of my house.  I cure, smoke and rest it and sit down for the best bacon breakfasts and Pancetta than money CANT buy in Thailand.

Don't know if you've tried it but I know you will love it. Pig cheek sliced paper thin and fried until crispy, it crunches and then just seems to go liquid in your mouth.

The original Carbonnara Spaghetti had 4 or 5 slices of it on top instead of chopped up ham or bacon in it.

If you can do it, try it, you'll love it.

Edited by overherebc

18 hours ago, overherebc said:

Don't know if you've tried it but I know you will love it. Pig cheek sliced paper thin and fried until crispy, it crunches and then just seems to go liquid in your mouth.

The original Carbonnara Spaghetti had 4 or 5 slices of it on top instead of chopped up ham or bacon in it.

If you can do it, try it, you'll love it.

Man after my own heart!

On 8/18/2017 at 5:22 PM, observer90210 said:

If I really miss a good salami or a sausage, I'd wait to get back in Europe with proper safety standards and laws that mention from where the item has been imported.

I would never indulge in consuming pork from China or the US.

You're just as likely to get a nice lovely horse meat salami.  

Europe.  Proper safety standards.  Ho ho ho.

If they don't even know what animal it is, ya figure you can believe where it was imported from?

Edited by impulse

20 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Its not the consumers who are protesting though, is it?  No, it is the pig raising associations, do you think they just might have something to lose from imported pork?

Especially if they're competing against the bits that were going to get binned, rendered, or ground up into pet food.  Pretty tempting to dump that at a pretty significant discount to the cost of production if it's worthless back home.

6 hours ago, impulse said:

You're just as likely to get a nice lovely horse meat salami.  

Europe.  Proper safety standards.  Ho ho ho.

If they don't even know what animal it is, ya figure you can believe where it was imported from?

Well obviously at one point one has to belive a few things that are writen on conditionned foods, despite that there are always liars and cheats...but sooner or later the truth does arise.