No CD Player.

Ace of Pop

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many new laptops no longer come with a CD/DVD player. I've used the one in my desktop maybe once in the past year.

People now use USB drives that store thousands of songs in a tiny drive or play from their smartphones.

I remember always taking a dozen CD's with me when travelling...  many years ago now.

I have a couple of these drives. Even with a month on vacation I still can't get around to listening to everything I have put on it.

Every rental car I have driven the last few years has come with a USB port.

CZ43_32GB_agnle_right_open-retina.png.7a522a8e9c49a4b357e0a3f801d86750.png

Edited by kkerry

I still use a DVD disc with 100's of songs in MP4 format for music in the car. I have an USB port, but annoyingly I have to select USB from the inbuilt media player every time the engine is turned off, whereas the DVD starts automatically.

Ive got music and a big list of tunes from usb , push the thing on the steering wheel n thousands come up, more dangerous than Texing, selection shouldn't work less your in Park imo. if i was a Drive n Dream Fan, cant say id be to pleased not being able to grab a CD off the entertainment Home Thing in the Lounge carry on listening.Must be pld.!!.?[emoji450]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

15 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Ive got music and a big list of tunes from usb , push the thing on the steering wheel n thousands come up, more dangerous than Texing, selection shouldn't work less your in Park imo. if i was a Drive n Dream Fan, cant say id be to pleased not being able to grab a CD off the entertainment Home Thing in the Lounge carry on listening.Must be pld.!!.?emoji450.png

Why not just select Random Play and listen that way? Unless you feel an overwhelming urge to hear Dancing Queen.

34 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I still use a DVD disc with 100's of songs in MP4 format for music in the car. I have an USB port, but annoyingly I have to select USB from the inbuilt media player every time the engine is turned off, whereas the DVD starts automatically.

I still have a few DVD's labeled 'road trip' where one could cover the whole 8 hour trek up the Mitrapharb in the old (2007) Honda CR-V with one disc I recall it had a disc player that could take (I think) 5 discs. Didn't realize it could initially, it was a miraculous discovery after finding Mrs NL had slipped in a few ramwong discs while I was away. I was a bit disappointed that the much newer Rangers could only take a single disc at a time.

Moving on, sometimes I hit the CD select and note, "So that's where that disc went"... and leave it for another 4 months or so.

My 'car radio' annoyingly defaults to the last FM station when it can't connect with whatever's in the USB hole or Bluetooth spits the dummy. Annoying when you are up country and there's bugger all understandable on the radio anyway.

I use BT to connect the smart phone and when I'm not listening to "Up All Night" on BBC Five Live or Alex Lester's WM95.6 morning show via the iPlayer, I can pick from KLOL Houston, Waves FM Peterhead, Radio Veronica or Arrow Classic Rock from Holland, the rather excellent 107 Jack fm Berkshire, The Bay or  Bailrigg FM from Lancaster via the free TuneIn app.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Agnetha Fältskog was a hottie though, eh?

Certainly was. I know a lot of people rubbished ABBA, but even some of the worlds best musos have acknowledged ABBA songs were a lot more than throwaway pop songs.

1 minute ago, Ace of Pop said:

Anyway , so they are not really missed then..?.

Might be missed by those that have a huge CD collection that they like to play in their car.

6 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

That wont be many then they only go to Big C. So 300 mins listening max.?.Perhaps TA has more pertinent views than my amazed they gone old reaction.emoji86.png

Then the answer is, no, they probably won't be missed.

I just use Apple Music now. With Siri can just request track you want and comes through whichever Bluetooth device I'm connected to. 

Not used cds for last 7 or 8 years now. 

Hundreds of the things gathering dust at home. 

23 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I just use Apple Music now. With Siri can just request track you want and comes through whichever Bluetooth device I'm connected to. 

Not used cds for last 7 or 8 years now. 

Hundreds of the things gathering dust at home. 

Good point at home, so do I. But in the Car.?.

https://www.lazada.co.th/car-bluetooth-car-charger-with-fm-fm-mp3-bc06b-9871631.html

This might be the solution to your problems. It works great to "stream" from your mobile via bluetooth to the car stereo. It works also as a charger, a handsfree, or a USB-Player. At that price you cannot go wrong. I am very happy with this device.

20170818_184905906.jpg

Good point at home, so do I. But in the Car.?.
I have a flash drive with loads of albums on it and just tell the bird hiding under the dash which song, artist or album I want to listen to and she cues it up for me.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant