UK State Pension - Difficulty paying voluntary NI contributions

Been working overseas for 20 years, every 4-5 years I ask for a pension statement from the UK pensions office and pay the balance to get up to date, it's been quite easy.

But this time everything seems to have changed. I got the pension statement online this time (registered at the government gateway) and it shows I need to pay for the previous 5 years to get up to date, that’s fine but the problem is that there are no bank account details to send the money to.

So I called the Pensions office but nobody is able to tell me how I can pay the arrears. They said somebody would call me back but nobody did.

I asked the question by email and 10 days later I got an email from the pensions office saying it’s nothing to do with them and I need to contact HM Revenue & Customs as the bank account to receive payment is their scope.

I’ve nothing to hide from HRMC but it all seems a bit strange. In times of austerity you’d think the government would welcome these payments, but they are making it very hard.

Before I waste any more time on overseas calls I’m just wondering if any other Brits have experienced this recently, and if you managed to pay the arrears.

This is typical of what is going on between the HMRC and Pensions. I am pursuing the same for a client and asked them to send a copy of the reply to the client in Thailand. The reply went to the wrong address and when I asked Pensions to check the address they put me onto HMRC who would not do as I said as I didn't have authority. I asked them  to let me have details of their authority for send my clients details to the wrong address. No Reply.

3 hours ago, 12DrinkMore said:

I pay annually through my internet banking in the UK.

Their account details are

https://www.gov.uk/pay-voluntary-class-3-national-insurance/bank-details

You can check if the payment has been credited to your account online. Takes just a few days.

Good information, I will pass this on to a friend who also had trouble paying them, he wanted to pay in one hit and is still waiting for a reply,

hi  

international pension ctr

tyneviewpark

whitley road Benton

Newcastle Upon tine 

Tel004401912187777

pension service

NicAnd EO +441514941260   CALL MR MUSGROVE HE WILL PUT U IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION I DID THIS AND GOT ALL I NEEDED   HOPE HELPS

I just did this same event 10 days ago.

I rang this number to make the payment 0300 200 3500 

If you want to get help (or use different number to get transferred  through to above number ) do so by speaking to "Future pension Team" 0345 608 0126 - Here you can  identify the years you want to make the payment for (You might want to do this first since 0300 200 3500 number has no view of your NI account and will simply give you the bank details where you need to pay).

You will be given a sort code, account number and account holder name to make a bank transfer to - But the details are shown here..  https://www.gov.uk/pay-class-2-national-insurance/bank-details

However you also need to quote (on your transfer) a 18 digit reference number (This will be given on the phone call 0300 200 3500)

The reference number given on the call is used in order to identify your NI account and so the payment will get paid into correct NI account (yours) for the NICS class 3 - You will need to put the reference number on the bank transfer - in the field titled. "Your reference"

The payment is supposed to go into your account without any further action on your part, but can take up to 3 weeks - I however rang after 7 days since there was nothing showing on my future pension statement - I called the "Future pension Team" 0345 608 0126 and they immediately reconciled the payment to my account - The credit was showing 24 hrs latter in my account.

Hope this helps.

13 hours ago, spambot said:

I rang this number to make the payment 0300 200 3500 

13 hours ago, spambot said:

do so by speaking to "Future pension Team" 0345 608 0126

Good info but unless I am mistaken I think these codes are for premium rate nos?

Usually there is an alternative quoted to call from abroad - as in Mikecha post above.

23 hours ago, flynn said:

Good information, I will pass this on to a friend who also had trouble paying them, he wanted to pay in one hit and is still waiting for a reply,

Has he actually got himself already set up with HMRC? I rang them yesterday and was told I had to complete form CF83 and post back to them to apply to pay (attached to the end of the pdf)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/414910/NI38_CF83.pdf

3 hours ago, topt said:

Good info but unless I am mistaken I think these codes are for premium rate nos?

Usually there is an alternative quoted to call from abroad - as in Mikecha post above.

The 0300 is a freephone number and the 0345 number is a non geographic number - Depending upon which service you use to make any of the calls - it may or may not count within your minutes of your service plan - In my my service plan (using VOIP service provider) - Both were included as regular minutes with no premium

However to overcome fears:

For : 0345 3000 168 Outside the UK: +44 (0)191 218 3600

For 0300 200 3500  Outside UK: +44 191 203 7010 

5 hours ago, topt said:

1 hour ago, spambot said:

The 0300 is a freephone number and the 0345 number is a non geographic number - Depending upon which service you use to make any of the calls - it may or may not count within your minutes of your service plan - In my my service plan (using VOIP service provider) - Both were included as regular minutes with no premium

However to overcome fears:

For : 0345 3000 168 Outside the UK: +44 (0)191 218 3600

For 0300 200 3500  Outside UK: +44 191 203 7010 

Calls to 03 numbers are charged at the national rate in the UK.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/what-are-03-numbers

Not sure whether they are, in practice, cheaper than calls to 08 numbers (or even to 01 alternatives) from Thailand, though.

Edited by OJAS
18 hours ago, OJAS said:

Calls to 03 numbers are charged at the national rate in the UK.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/what-are-03-numbers

Not sure whether they are, in practice, cheaper than calls to 08 numbers (or even to 01 alternatives) from Thailand, though.

Thanks OJAS I just tested it on a Skype call and same rates on the 0345 numbers as to a normal 01 number.

Not sure why they quote the different "normal" no. if calling from abroad then - and not just on govt. sites?

On ‎23‎-‎8‎-‎2017 at 1:19 PM, topt said:

Has he actually got himself already set up with HMRC? I rang them yesterday and was told I had to complete form CF83 and post back to them to apply to pay (attached to the end of the pdf)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/414910/NI38_CF83.pdf

The only thing that takes time is the post  7or 8 weeks between replies 

they do nothing by   e mail  such a pity but most goverment  are the same stamp lick stamp bah    wait    wait Wait  Phone again beleave me took a while to sort all pension out but once you are in the system it does not fail

every 4 weeks to the day money in the bank 

1 minute ago, mikecha said:

The only thing that takes time is the post  7or 8 weeks between replies 

they do nothing by   e mail  such a pity but most goverment  are the same stamp lick stamp bah    wait    wait Wait  Phone again beleave me took a while to sort all pension out but once you are in the system it does not fail

every 4 weeks to the day money in the bank 

Unfortunately this is about me paying them some money to make up NICs - my pension is not due for some years.............:thumbsup:

Just now, topt said:

Unfortunately this is about me paying them some money to make up NICs - my pension is not due for some years.............:thumbsup:

thats ok  just takes a long long time for replies  also use the international Phone nr 

it is worth keeping up  if you have a company pension to  and to live in los  is enough  

3 minutes ago, naboo said:

Posted my CF83 to them in early July. When should I expect a response? And how? I provided my Thai address, provided my previous UK address and indicated it was no longer an address I could be contacted on.

Between 6 to 8 weeks they say it is the British mail   my question about e mail was direct we dont use extern  can Phone hem every few weeks they will say a yes we hae your forms and we are updating this paper to your intern file  

they will send this to your Thai Adress  for me went fine 

3 minutes ago, naboo said:

Posted my CF83 to them in early July. When should I expect a response? And how? I provided my Thai address, provided my previous UK address and indicated it was no longer an address I could be contacted on.

I my experience of dealing with HMRC could be anything from 2-4 months to get a reply back to your Thai address - if it actually arrives........

I have yet to send my CF83 off but I am prepared for a long wait.

As a separate example I sent a tracked letter by EMS to the Channel Isles. It has now been sitting in GBLALA (which I understand is Heathrow sorting office) since 6th August with no updates.......and this is the GB end :sad:

3 minutes ago, mikecha said:

Maybe someone you know is going to GB for a few days get them to put in the post    

Yes thanks I was going to add to my post that was what I normally try and do but even doing that with HMRC does not necessarily speed it up that much.

Realy  it just takes time and patience    for me was 16 months total then they didnt pay out for 2 months after the pension due date but they were realy very nice and did pay up all  1thousand excuses     now as said every 4 weeks on the bank 

11 hours ago, topt said:

Yes thanks I was going to add to my post that was what I normally try and do but even doing that with HMRC does not necessarily speed it up that much.

But at least you should largely eliminate the delay caused by the length of time it takes snail mail posted in Thailand to reach its destination in the UK (typically 4 weeks using non-express services in my experience).

I posted my latest tax return during a recent trip to the UK with a second-class stamp. According to the Government Gateway it was received by HMRC 2 days later.

Edited by OJAS